Oshkosh Roll Call...

Old July 5th 04, 03:23 AM
Morgans

"EDR" wrote

We can even present her and any other first timer with an award on
Wednesday (don't ask me what it would be, I haven't thought that far
ahead, yet)

How about a round peg hammered into a too small, square hole. Kinda fits
trying to arrive at OSH. g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old July 5th 04, 03:39 AM
EDR

In article , Morgans
wrote:

"EDR" wrote

We can even present her and any other first timer with an award on
Wednesday (don't ask me what it would be, I haven't thought that far
ahead, yet)

How about a round peg hammered into a too small, square hole. Kinda fits
trying to arrive at OSH. g

Any suggestions/recommendations on where to acquire square holes?
Old July 5th 04, 04:16 AM
Morgans

"EDR" wrote
How about a round peg hammered into a too small, square hole. Kinda

fits
trying to arrive at OSH. g

Any suggestions/recommendations on where to acquire square holes?

I picture a small wooden base, like a trophy, with a slot , say 1/8th wide,
holding a piece of 1/8th steel sheet. All that is needed is a machine shop
with a broach to crank out a few. Heck, let the pilot pound the dowel rod
through the hole upon arrival, as part of the ceremony!

Try over at rec.aviation.homebuilt for some machinist types. Or your local
machinist could crank some out pretty cheap.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old July 5th 04, 06:52 AM
Dean Wilkinson

Hi Jay,

I'll be there exhibiting in Hangar C booth 3076 for the first time
this year. Look forward to seeing people from this newsgroup...

Dean Wilkinson

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:FzLFc.4830$JR4.1147@attbi_s54...
Who's in for OSH '04?

Mary and I (and the Osh-kids) will be flying in on Monday, and staying
through the following Sunday...

(Our Rec.Aviation party is planned for Wednesday night, after the airshow,
at our campsite. Admission is a 6-pack of good beer!)

Old July 5th 04, 01:51 PM
Jay Honeck

Any stats on when "good" times are?

Traffic can be very hit & miss (sorry!) going into OSH. We usually try to
arrive the day before the event starts, but this "traffic avoidance
procedure" seems to have caught on with many pilots. Thus, I'm not sure of
this, but I think the HEAVIEST day now may be the day before it starts.

We've also arrived on the first day, and that can be a bit hairy, but I've
never run into anything that was too uncomfortable.

You're right, I think evening arrivals, well after the airshow, are usually
the lightest. Just don't try to arrive RIGHT after the airshow, as there
will be a holding pattern release from Rush Lake -- at which point you've
really got the "square peg into a round hole" effect.

In fact, right after the airshow is when we always set up our lawn chairs at
our campsite, and crack a few cold ones -- cuz it's the best air show
anywhere...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 5th 04, 01:52 PM
Jay Honeck

I'll be there exhibiting in Hangar C booth 3076 for the first time
this year.

Does anyone else think this sounds 'dirty'?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 5th 04, 03:26 PM
JP Krievins

I'm still not sure if I'll be flying N93332 or driving the Miata again to
OSH this year. I'm hesitant on my first flight into OSH which would be solo.
It'll also depend if I can get time off work...

To each his own, but flying into OSH and parking your plane along with
the thousands of others there ranks as one of the life's most
satisfying aviation experiences. You do have to have a level of
confidence about doing it, but the challenges are mostly mental.

I flew into OSH the first time in 1999 with one year's experience as a
private pilot. I had to leave my cherokee in Iowa with engine problems
(another story!) and finish the trip to OSH in a rental 172. We
arrived early morning on the next to last day of the show, and I was
actually a little disappointed that traffic wasn't heavier. They were
landing one at a time and not using the dots.

The last time, in 2001, we flew in mid-morning on the day before
opening, and we had the full meal deal...jockeying for position over
the railroad tracks, holding over Rush Lake, S-turns on downwind to
stay behind the traffic ahead, landing three at a time on 27 with ATC
switching landing order on final. It wasn't really technically any
more difficult, but you had to mentally suspend the "rules" that you
normally fly by and follow your instructions.

A second set of eyes can help, but the first year it was my wife
saying "oh my God" a lot. The last time it was my non-flying nephew
who was just in awe of the whole experience. This year, and to make a
long story short and return to the thread, it will be this myself and
this same nephew, who is now an instrument rated private pilot working
on his commercial ticket.

Jay, unfortunately, due to schedule conflicts, we will be arriving
Friday, after the RAP get-together on Wednesday. Hope to run into any
Rec aviation stragglers staying through the weekend.

JP Krievins
planning to camp in antique/classic
N6101W
Old July 5th 04, 05:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

EDR wrote:

Any suggestions/recommendations on where to acquire square holes?

Most woodworkers can make these. They're called mortises. The old-fashioned way to
make them is to drill out the center and chop the rest out with chisels, but there
are mortise cutters for use in drill presses.

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
Old July 5th 04, 08:22 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay, unfortunately, due to schedule conflicts, we will be arriving
Friday, after the RAP get-together on Wednesday. Hope to run into any
Rec aviation stragglers staying through the weekend.

No sweat, JP.

Be sure to come see us anyway -- we'll be out in the North 40. Just give
the nice EAA folks my "N" number, and they'll vector you right in...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA