Radio altimeter fault triggered Turkish Airlines crash

Old March 4th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Musicrab

Default Radio altimeter fault triggered Turkish Airlines crash

In the news everywhere
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/un...h-evidenc.html

What's the Boeing 737-800 flight manual say about what to do when left and
right hand altimeters don't match?

Old March 4th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
"Musicrab" wrote:

In the news everywhere
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/un...sh-airlines-cr
ash-evidenc.html

What's the Boeing 737-800 flight manual say about what to do when left and
right hand altimeters don't match?

I think pilots should have their own version of the doctors' "primum non
nocere": first, fly the plane!

Of course this is a preliminary result and could well be wrong, but even
so I think there's a good lesson in it for us: always keep your mind on
what's important, and never let yourself be distracted by trivial things
when your mind is needed elsewhere. Of course we all know this already,
but a reminder never hurts.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old March 4th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 4, 5:37*am, "Musicrab" wrote:
In the news everywherehttp://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-attitude/2009/03/turkish-ai...

What's the Boeing 737-800 flight manual say about what to do when left and
right hand altimeters don't match?

I'm right handed so I've not tried using a left hand altimeter.
Old March 4th 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Mar 4, 5:37 am, "Musicrab" wrote:
In the news
everywherehttp://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-attitude/2009/03/turkish-ai...

What's the Boeing 737-800 flight manual say about what to do when left and
right hand altimeters don't match?

I'm right handed so I've not tried using a left hand altimeter.

I write left handed but I throw a baseball, bowl, shoot a basketball etc.
like a righty so which altimeter would I look at?

Old March 4th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Musicrab writes:

What's the Boeing 737-800 flight manual say about what to do when left and
right hand altimeters don't match?

It surely points out that working altimeters are required for an automated
approach. The airline flew with broken altimeters, and after tempting fate
several times, it finally caught up with them.

Turkish Airlines has the worst safety record of all airlines in Europe and the
U.S. combined, in terms of flights with fatalities over total flights. And it
trails by quite a margin.
Old March 4th 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_22_]

If you can't answer the question why did you post a reply? ( Does this
sound at all familiar to you? )

Old March 4th 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Mar 4, 2:21*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Musicrab writes:
What's the Boeing 737-800 flight manual say about what to do when left and
right hand altimeters don't match?

It surely points out that working altimeters are required for an automated
approach. *The airline flew with broken altimeters, and after tempting fate
several times, it finally caught up with them.

Turkish Airlines has the worst safety record of all airlines in Europe and the
U.S. combined, in terms of flights with fatalities over total flights. *And it
trails by quite a margin.

I don't think (and could be wrong) that a coupled/automated approach
does in fact need a conventional altimeter.
Old March 4th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix

In article ,
"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Mar 4, 5:37 am, "Musicrab" wrote:
In the news
everywherehttp://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-attitude/2009/03/turkish
-ai...

What's the Boeing 737-800 flight manual say about what to do when left and
right hand altimeters don't match?

I'm right handed so I've not tried using a left hand altimeter.

I write left handed but I throw a baseball, bowl, shoot a basketball etc.
like a righty so which altimeter would I look at?

If you find out, let me know too.
Old March 4th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 4, 11:21*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Musicrab writes:
What's the Boeing 737-800 flight manual say about what to do when left and
right hand altimeters don't match?

It surely points out that working altimeters are required for an automated
approach. *The airline flew with broken altimeters, and after tempting fate
several times, it finally caught up with them.

You are talking about standard altitude altimeters or RAs? From
reading the it appears that the concern is about the RA's not the
altimeters. No plane is going to flare as a result of a reading from a
pressure altimeter.

-Robret
Old March 5th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DannyDot

a wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:21 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Musicrab writes:

snip

I don't think (and could be wrong) that a coupled/automated approach
does in fact need a conventional altimeter.

In my F-4 it did not. But that was back in the mid 80s with an analog
autopilot.

Also, can some explain what retard is?

Danny Deger