Radio altimeter fault triggered Turkish Airlines crash

Old March 5th 09, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Camper

Default Radio altimeter fault triggered Turkish Airlines crash

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 14:19:55 -0800, Steve Hix wrote:

In article ,
"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Mar 4, 5:37 am, "Musicrab" wrote:
In the news
everywherehttp://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-attitude/2009/03/turkish
-ai...

What's the Boeing 737-800 flight manual say about what to do when left and
right hand altimeters don't match?

I'm right handed so I've not tried using a left hand altimeter.

I write left handed but I throw a baseball, bowl, shoot a basketball etc.
like a righty so which altimeter would I look at?

If you find out, let me know too.

The one you're not using to beat your meat will work.
--
http://tr.im/1f9p

Old March 5th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"DannyDot" wrote in message
a wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:21 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Musicrab writes:

snip

I don't think (and could be wrong) that a coupled/automated approach
does in fact need a conventional altimeter.

In my F-4 it did not. But that was back in the mid 80s with an analog
autopilot.

Also, can some explain what retard is?

Danny Deger

Mx=retard=Mx=retard=

Old March 5th 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Just go look it up!

Musicrab writes:

snip

I don't think (and could be wrong) that a coupled/automated approach
does in fact need a conventional altimeter.

In my F-4 it did not. But that was back in the mid 80s with an analog
autopilot.

Also, can some explain what retard is?

They must have been doing an autoland if the radio altimeter was
involved. It feeds the autopilots AGL for calculating when to reduce
thrust and begin the flare. Otherwise it would have just been
following the NAV inputs for GS and LOC down to whenever the airline
SOP dictated disconnection of AP/AT for a hand-flown landing.

IIUC, "retard" is a callout in an Airbus for idle thrust. Never flown
one so no idea.
Old March 5th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

You are talking about standard altitude altimeters or RAs?

RAs. One of them had malfunctioned on several previous flights, according to
the flight data recorders. The airline had not bothered to fix it, even
though it is essential for autoland (perhaps the airline expected its pilots
to be alert and hard-working enough to fly landings by hand, although that's
not really an excuse).

No plane is going to flare as a result of a reading from a
pressure altimeter.

But it probably will if the RA says that it's 7 feet below the runway.