A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

302 problem with 'B' record error?

Old April 30th 13, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 302 problem with 'B' record error?

My 302 worked last year, but for the first flights this year has a problem with OLC. Nothing was touched on the instrument in the meantime.
OLC reports that the 'b' records in the log are inconsistent and are described as having spikes. The OLC help team kindly restored one of the two logs I have so far submitted, but can't expect them to do it regularly.
Any suggestions? Anybody been through this already? Or is my 302 destined for a trip to Cambridge?
Thanks, Howard (HL).
Old April 30th 13, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:54:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My 302 worked last year, but for the first flights this year has a problem with OLC. Nothing was touched on the instrument in the meantime.

OLC reports that the 'b' records in the log are inconsistent and are described as having spikes. The OLC help team kindly restored one of the two logs I have so far submitted, but can't expect them to do it regularly.

Any suggestions? Anybody been through this already? Or is my 302 destined for a trip to Cambridge?

Thanks, Howard (HL).

GPS antenna connector on tight? Antenna obstructed?

T8
Old April 30th 13, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:54:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Thanks, Howard (HL).

Post a link to one of the faulty IGC files and you might get more useful help.
Old April 30th 13, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The unfixed flight is on OLC for 29 April, Howard Banks, and the flight log # is 34TC4NM4.igc.
If that is no good to mess with let me have an email address and I will send it directly. My email is: HBSoar -- at -- comcast-dot-net, with the usual corrections.
and thanks.
howard

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:54:56 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Thanks, Howard (HL).

Old April 30th 13, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:54:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Thanks, Howard (HL).

How did you download the file from your 302 and how did you upload it to OLC?
Old May 1st 13, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Downloaded two ways.
For my flight on Sunday 27th,used SeeYou to a laptop. That failed up front, rejected instantly by OLC. So I sent a help message and Hannes, one of the nice people at OLC, removed what he called all the spikes in the B records and it scored satisfactorily.
Having had a problem with that method, for my flight on Monday I downloaded via a PDA using the Cambridge utility program, to a Compact Flash card and hence to the OLC. (This was the method I used all last year with zero problems.) That upload appeared to work normally, but it came up with a red V and an automatically generated note saying there appears to be a problem with the logger, please contact agent or manufacturer.
Since this forum has routinely been so helpful sharing experiences I thought that I would ask here first before taking the 302 out of the panel.

Thanks, Howard (HL).

Old May 1st 13, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Sorry missed second part of question: Used OLC direct claim method -- which I used all last year with zero problems.

Thanks, Howard (HL).

Old May 1st 13, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Apr 30, 6:53*pm, wrote:
Downloaded two ways.
For my flight on Sunday 27th,used SeeYou to a laptop. That failed up front, rejected instantly by OLC. So I sent a help message and Hannes, one of the nice people at OLC, removed what he called all the spikes in the B records and it *scored satisfactorily.
Having had a problem with that method, for my flight on Monday I downloaded via a PDA using the Cambridge utility program, to a Compact Flash card and hence to the OLC. (This was the method I used all last year with zero problems.) That upload appeared to work normally, but it came up with a red V and an automatically generated note saying there appears to be a problem with the logger, please contact agent or manufacturer.
Since this forum has routinely been so helpful sharing experiences I thought that I would ask here first before taking the 302 out of the panel.

My 302 worked last year, but for the first flights this year has a problem with OLC. *Nothing was touched on the instrument in the meantime.

OLC reports that the 'b' records in the log are inconsistent and are described as having spikes. *The OLC help team kindly restored one of the two logs I have so far submitted, but can't expect them to do it regularly.

Any suggestions? *Anybody been through this already? *Or is my 302 destined for a trip to Cambridge?

Thanks, Howard (HL).

You may have the dreaded 302 rollover bug. Paul Remde's website has
the cure
John Cochrane
Old May 1st 13, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi,

I don't think "spikes in the B records" would be caused by memory roll-over.
I suspect either a faulty or poorly connected GPS antenna, or a dying GPS
engine. Tighten the GPS antenna using a wrench (but not too hard as to pop
the nut off the cable). If that doesn't work, I can sell you a new antenna.
If that doesn't work it would need to go to Cambridge for a repair. They
are currently in the process of moving and difficult to reach.

The rollover information can be found he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/newsl...LETTER.BLOCK15

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"John Cochrane" wrote in message

On Apr 30, 6:53 pm, wrote:
Downloaded two ways.
For my flight on Sunday 27th,used SeeYou to a laptop. That failed up
front, rejected instantly by OLC. So I sent a help message and Hannes, one
of the nice people at OLC, removed what he called all the spikes in the B
records and it scored satisfactorily.
Having had a problem with that method, for my flight on Monday I
downloaded via a PDA using the Cambridge utility program, to a Compact
Flash card and hence to the OLC. (This was the method I used all last year
with zero problems.) That upload appeared to work normally, but it came up
with a red V and an automatically generated note saying there appears to
be a problem with the logger, please contact agent or manufacturer.
Since this forum has routinely been so helpful sharing experiences I
thought that I would ask here first before taking the 302 out of the
panel.

My 302 worked last year, but for the first flights this year has a
problem with OLC. Nothing was touched on the instrument in the
meantime.

OLC reports that the 'b' records in the log are inconsistent and are
described as having spikes. The OLC help team kindly restored one of
the two logs I have so far submitted, but can't expect them to do it
regularly.

Any suggestions? Anybody been through this already? Or is my 302
destined for a trip to Cambridge?

Thanks, Howard (HL).

You may have the dreaded 302 rollover bug. Paul Remde's website has
the cure
John Cochrane

Old May 9th 13, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks to all who replied. Reading them again finally woke up brain. The major change was installation of Pflarm brick. So I moved the Cambridge antenna as far away as practical from the flarm devices -- and the file for today's flight logged to OLC normally.
RAS is a wonderful resource other than when it turns into a pain in the small parts. While I am being a pain, what does the B record actually record?
h

Thanks, Howard (HL).