Engine prices?

Old July 8th 04, 01:23 PM

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 02:21:38 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't some people put a Buick V- 8 in
Tailwinds? That would weigh more than a 470, wouldn't it?

Don't think so Jim. I had an 0-470 sitting in my shop and can testify
that it was a LOT more difficult to lift using my block and tackle
than the two Ford V6's I offloaded. The block and tackle almost
couldn't lift the 0-470 but easily hoisted the V6's.

I know it's anecdotal, but this was with a stripped block to boot.
The 0-470 did not have the starter attached, nor did it have the two
mags or generator or the pressure regulator for the prop. It was just
very very heavy even without all those things.

Corky Scott

Old July 8th 04, 02:07 PM
jls

wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't some people put a Buick V- 8 in
Tailwinds? That would weigh more than a 470, wouldn't it?

Don't think so Jim. I had an 0-470 sitting in my shop and can testify
that it was a LOT more difficult to lift using my block and tackle
than the two Ford V6's I offloaded. The block and tackle almost
couldn't lift the 0-470 but easily hoisted the V6's.

I know it's anecdotal, but this was with a stripped block to boot.
The 0-470 did not have the starter attached, nor did it have the two
mags or generator or the pressure regulator for the prop. It was just
very very heavy even without all those things.

Corky Scott

Corky, that heavy O-470 engine is the powerplant originally used by Steve
Wittman in the O-O Special.

Weight is much of the reason why Crosslin went to a TCM IO-360, which is
lighter and a much more efficient engine with fuel injection and a constant
speed prop.

Old July 8th 04, 02:26 PM
Skyking

"Richard Riley" wrote in message :What I'd like
to ask is how the price of an O-470 Conintental would
:compare to an O-320 Lycoming. I suspect the RV demand for the O-320
:has kept the price up. But there aren't that many planes that use an

O-470. I thought it might even be less expensive as a result of lower
:demand?

You might be able to get one of these cheap

How many Cessna 180's and 182's were built?
All of the older ones use this engine.

Good luck,

Skyking

Old July 8th 04, 02:28 PM
Richard Lamb

Skyking wrote:

"Richard Riley" wrote in message :What I'd like
to ask is how the price of an O-470 Conintental would
:compare to an O-320 Lycoming. I suspect the RV demand for the O-320
:has kept the price up. But there aren't that many planes that use an

O-470. I thought it might even be less expensive as a result of lower
:demand?

You might be able to get one of these cheap

How many Cessna 180's and 182's were built?
All of the older ones use this engine.

Good luck,

Skyking

Sorry, your Highness, I should have said 'homebuilt' plans...
mia cuppa.

Richard
Old July 8th 04, 06:03 PM

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:22:55 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Not to labor the obvious, but there IS a little size difference between
4.6 liter and 470 cubic inches...

Richard (no substitute for cubes) Lamb

If we are talking about the same engine, the Buick/Olds aluminum V8,
it's lots worse than that. The original engine was 215 cubic inches
in displacement. That's 3.5 Liters.

By the way, the 3.8L Ford V6 engined Pawnee being used in Australia as
a glider tug is spinning the prop (via Blanton type PSRU) originally
used by the Pawnee when it had it's original engine which I believe
was an 0-470. It's spinning it at **exactly** the same prop rpm the
0-470 spun it. What does that tell you about power?

But it uses way less gas doing it.

Before BOb steps in and makes a comment, let me add that most of the
reason for the reduction in fuel burn is due to the method of flying
and the fuel mixture. The tug hauls the glider up to it's drop point,
then closes the throttle to idle and returns to the field with the
engine staying at idle the whole way. When the 0-470 was used, the
throttle was never closed for descent (shock cooling doncha know) and
who knows if the mixture was leaned during the return.

In addition, it's possible that the carburator mixture runs normally
more lean than the carburator mixture at full rich with the 0-470.
This is possible with the Ford because variable automatic timing can
still be used.

Magneto timing must be preset at around 26 degrees before top dead
center and does not move. In order to get the Peak Pressure Point of
the combustion process to occur at 16 degrees past top dead center
(rather than closer to top dead center which increases pressure and
heat) the combustion process must be slowed somehow. Engineers
achieved this by making the mixture overrich for takeoff and climb.

But since the Ford engine can vary the timing automatically (if the
builder uses a distributer or electronic ignition that allows this),
the timing is always where it needs to be to have the PPP occur where
it needs to for proper engine power. An overly rich mixture is not
necessary to achieve this.

Corky Scott

Old July 8th 04, 07:13 PM
Barnyard BOb -

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:28:07 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Sorry, your Highness, I should have said 'homebuilt' plans...
mia cuppa.

Richard

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is that the same as 'mea culpa'...

with a Texass accent? g

Barnyard BOb - the Show Me State

Old July 8th 04, 11:39 PM
Richard Lamb

wrote:

Sorry, your Highness, I should have said 'homebuilt' plans...
mia cuppa.

Richard

Is that the same as 'mea culpa'...

with a Texass accent? g

Barnyard BOb - the Show Me State

Might have been that liddle lady in the movies...
I know she's guilty of _something_!