Friday 072707 in Oshkosh Pt 1 - the Raptor [01/30] - "F22 lifting off 18 after very short takeoff roll.jpg" yEnc (0/1)

Old August 8th 07, 08:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave LaCourse

Default What are you really trying to accomplish

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:18:35 GMT, shiver
wrote:

Bert-Jan wrote:

please keep your posts as small as you can.

Then why did you quote two different posters instead of trimming the
posts like I did.??????

I know I will.

You have already proven that statement to be not true.

He Mr. A. How 'bout jumping on others in this group, like your friend
he

quote"Bert-Jan" wrote in message
"Don Pyeatt" wrote in
:

"G.Kuhn" wrote in message
My second post on this subject.....
Flame suit on :-)
WHAT is so flippen difficult in reading/opening yenc files?
Yes, I don't particularly like them, but it is SO easy to download
and save them in OE, and then decoding with 3rd party software.
And this from about six years back already, when I started net
surfing. Heck, anything that saves bandwidth in this retard country
of mine, is a bonus.
Maybe, just maybe, slow down on the ranting and raving, and
discreetly ask for help, draws less attention to one's shortcomings,
I learnt that the embarrassing way :-)

Buffy

Hi, Buffy !

Perhaps I can explain the problem to you since you don't seem to be of
the same brash ilk as the bombastic group of kids who charged into
this group and exiled our most prolific and congenial long-term
posters.

There is nothing wrong with yEnc. Mr. Noise explained it very well -
if a person is a user of many newsgroups and downloads media files,
e-books and other large files then something like yEnc is nearly
mandatory. On the other hand, this is a still picture group where the
file sizes rarely exceed 300KB. A file that size will download with
yEnc in about 10 seconds on a DSL connection, around 12 seconds
without yEnc. Two seconds may be an eternity for an impetuous
youngster but it is totally insignificant in this newsgroup. Step up
to cable service and differences in D/L time become almost
immeasurable.

With that said, the real reason(s) for the regular members here
wanting to ban yEnc is that some are TOO OLD to understand how to
install ANY kind of software on their computers. Some are (or were,
before they bailed) barely able to use email and read this newsgroup.
So, should we just tell them to fuddle off or upgrade? I doubt if the
invaders would tell their own grandparents to F-off but for some
reason they don't hesitate to tell those here to do the same.

This is a global group of people who share the same love for aviation
photos. The older members have provided a wealth of historical
information regarding vintage aircraft, their experiences in various
wars, and have been most generous by providing priceless information
of a historical nature. Some of these same people are embarrassed to
reveal a lack of skill using a computer and will simply leave to avoid
the insolence of some snot-nosed kid who tells them to get out of the
dark ages and upgrade to *their* standards.

This is why a large amount of time was invested here to hammer out a
usage guideline that would be agreeable to all regardless of their
computer skills.

Is this too difficult to understand?

gdp

In the time you have written the above epistel you could have
downloaded, installed and be up and running Xnews TWICE. With fewer
keyhits and fewer mouse clicks.
This is NOT difficult and if you are not sure how to there are people
around here that are very willing to walk you through it.

A friend of mine lives on a farm here in the netherlands and is, to his
own disgust, still dependant on dial-up connection. On top of that he
has up- and down load limits. So for these people (and there are more of
them than you can imagine) please keep your posts as small as you can.

I know I will.

--
Cheers,

Bert-Jan

Good morning Bert-Jan,

Concerns of those much like your dial-up constrained friend have
always been
accommodated by the regulars in this newsgroup. Every request for a
re-post
of a smaller version (or a larger version for that matter) of an
original
posting has been honored. It's only a matter of mutual respect.

Thank you for your observations and comments.

Don unquote

Of course that ain't quite as bad as your repeated hissy fit. d;o)

hth

Dave

Old August 8th 07, 08:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 14:31:35 -0500, "Don Pyeatt"
wrote:

OK, Noise, I took your challenge and searched your posts. You definitely
have not said anyone can leave the group.

Crow is not my favorite snack but I will have a plate full for you. My
sincere apology is extended to you for my error.

Well and honorably said.

Old August 8th 07, 09:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

wrote:

OK, Noise, I took your challenge and searched your posts. You definitely
have not said anyone can leave the group.

Crow is not my favorite snack but I will have a plate full for you. My
sincere apology is extended to you for my error.

Thank you. I much appreciate that you made the effort.

Old August 8th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bert-Jan[_5_]

[...]

Which would mean that other people with slower connections and/or
download limits have to be happy with downsized or inferior quality
products, when the technology is there for them.

I don't think so!

--
Cheers,

Bert-Jan
Old August 8th 07, 09:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:26:38 GMT, shiver
wrote:

Dave LaCourse wrote:

Just *how* are we leaving *anyone* behind?

Listen asswipe as I have explained in this very group before......

I CANNOT GET SOFTWARE THAT WILL DECODE YENC ON MY COMPUTER.

It is an older system with no way to upgrade to the point where I can
decode these mythical Yenc files.

Please decribe this system that is allegedly so old that it can't
decode yEnc even thought it can decode UU. The hardware requirements
are no different, so I suspect your shouted claim hasd no merit.
Old August 8th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Shiver

Just Plane Noise wrote:

Please decribe this system that is allegedly so old that it can't
decode yEnc even thought it can decode UU. The hardware requirements
are no different, so I suspect your shouted claim hasd no merit.

Alright.... I'll give you a serious reply.

I'm on a Macintosh....... that's a Macintosh AND NOT A PC.

All of the software you talk about does not work on a Macintosh.

Furthermore.... I'm operating with OS 8.6 and oldie but goldie OS.

As well I am using a newsreader called YA Newswatcher.

It won't even see a Yenc file, doesn't know what it is.

Over the past three years I have had chats with various people who have
steered me into different directions trying to solve this problem and
none of them work.

I've been told that MT Newswatcher will decode Yenc. But it is not
available in a version that will work with my OS.

I've been told there are helper applications out there and none of them
work with my system.

Since there have been numerous upgrades and name changes to the
Macintosh OS over the past six years I would have to try to find and
install an OS that would allow me to use programs that would handle
Yenc.

I have no intentions of going out and not just spending money on a new
OS but also having to update many dozens of pieces of software at god
knows what financial cost just so that I can actually look at just one
of your pictures.

Just changing the OS would be a massive undertaking and if things got
****ed....... my computer would be ****ed up.

Once you start you can't go back.

NO THANKS.

Now if your so smart that you think that you can solve my problem then
have at it McDuff.

I would be very grateful if that problem could be solved.

VERY GRATEFUL.

But with all due respect...... people just as smart as you have tried
over the past few years and so far.... no joy.

And to any kind soul who might even think of offering advice please
don't.

I don't need advice...... I need a solution.
Old August 8th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Shiver

Bert-Jan wrote:

http://www.download.com/3000-2164-10144167.html

With all due respect Bert-Jan if you had just half a brain
you would be a half wit.

It you can't check the header info on my postings and realize that I am
on a Macintosh and NOT A PC then sir I cannot help you with your
inabilities on your own computer any more than you can help me
solve my problem on mine.

FROM DOWNLOAD.COM

Regading X-NEWS..... Requires Windows 95/98/Me/Nt/2000/XP

Now just what were you promising again Sir....
Old August 8th 07, 10:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:14:11 GMT, shiver
wrote:

Bert-Jan wrote:

http://www.download.com/3000-2164-10144167.html

With all due respect Bert-Jan if you had just half a brain
you would be a half wit.

It you can't check the header info on my postings and realize that I am
on a Macintosh and NOT A PC then sir I cannot help you with your
inabilities on your own computer any more than you can help me
solve my problem on mine.

FROM DOWNLOAD.COM

Regading X-NEWS..... Requires Windows 95/98/Me/Nt/2000/XP

Now just what were you promising again Sir....

The man was trying to help you. Instead of a nasty uncalled for
reply, you *could* have said:

"Bert-Jan, I am using a Mac and the info you quote is not for Macs."

Instead you have to insult the man with name-calling. You're a real
piece of work, Mr. Anonymous.

Dave LaCourse