A little positive GA news coverage

Old January 2nd 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Default A little positive GA news coverage

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Martin Hotze wrote in news:flggdu$mdr$3
@kirk.hotze.com:

Jay Honeck schrieb:

Agree. I belong to several aviation forums, and they all try to
"improve" upon the format of Usenet by adding lots of whiz-bang
features. (Avatars, buddy lists, etc.) Unfortunately, all of this
stuff just gobs up the works, and makes the real fun of posting and
reading posts more of a chore.

Ease of use is what keeps Usenet popular in the face of many other
options.

And this is why you use google-groups?

what else would he use?

I'd say AOL was more his speed. Or better yet, Prodigy if it were still
around in the U.S. He'd love their censorial practices.
Old January 2nd 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Mazor[_2_]

wrote in message

Without going into a lot of needless detail, it is a fact that opiates

are one of few drugs that in their pure form cause little physical
harm to the human body.

Maybe, but

All Things Considered, January 2, 2008 · Every year, overdoses of heroin and opiates, such
as Oxycontin, kill more drug users than AIDS, hepatitis or homicide.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=17578955

You presumably were talking about legally prescribed dosages and not OD's, but even at
that, your statement is a bit too narrow to let pass without adding some clarifying wider
context for the reader.

Old January 3rd 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

wrote:
Funny you left out the part about my using norco (hydrocodone) for
legitimate pain, more specifically a ruptured disk in my lumbar
spine.
I do not use it recreationally although I do enjoy the high the opiate
gives. I live in nearly constant moderate to severe pain as any here
with this condition will testify.

No, you left that part out. You made no mention of such circumstances in
your previous posts, and I frankly don't believe you now.

I have norco under prescription and recently had the opportunity to
use methadone which is sometimes prescribed for patients in severe
pain. Albeit the methadone was going to be obtained illegally, I was
rather desperate for relief. I went to the drugs group to get an idea
of the methadone experience, well aware that hard drug users could
offer first-hand experience for someone like me. I know methadone to
be a powerful & dangerous drug so I wanted advice & experience.
Because of that advice, and due to the fact that I don't want to
obtain the stuff illegally, I decided not to buy it or do it.

Right. You wanted it for pain relief. That would explain why you wrote:

"I am mainly [interested] in experiencing the high Methadone may or may
not give so any pointers or experience would be appreciated."

And:

"Is crushing better or snorting or swallowing whole? I have been under
the impression that chewing or crushing causes a faster hit and not as
long an effect with the Norco."

That really sounds like someone seeking effective pain relief rather
than recreation...

Without going into a lot of needless detail, it is a fact that opiates
are one of few drugs that in their pure form cause little physical
harm to the human body. They also do not retard ones abilities to
think or act critically.

Uh huh. That would explain why of those experts you consulted said of
the methadone experience:

"What you can expect: to be totally, utterly trashed, and drooling for
two, maybe three days. To keep finding yourself waking up standing
somewhere with no idea how you got there or how many hours you've been
standing there. If you drive a car, you can expect to drive off the
road, fall asleep and drive into a parked car, or get into a head-on
collision. If you decide to get out of your chair to go to the
bathroom, expect the process to take between four and six hours."

Sounds like excellent job performance, both thinking and acting
critically...

The comment about opiates improving work
performance is, in fact, highly accurate, though presently I would
never jepordize my career by being under the influence of any drug in
the workplace or on the job.

Which explains why you wrote:

"What are the drowsiness effects as I will be going to work after
taking it (maybe). On Norco my work performance is somewhat higher (no
pun intended), will 'done' be similar?"

Clearly no intention (or current experience) of working under the
influence there...

Yes, I am a former drug addict who has been technically clean for
several years. My norco stays in the hands of a trusted non-user
friend who dispenses to me as prescribed and as needed. I do not want
to ever go back into the nightmare of addiction, especially with a new
path in my aviation career about to open in front of me.

Please forgive this lurker for the rudeness and cursing at F. Baum
last night. I thought his insensitivity was over-the-top to Jay, I got
****ed off and lost my cool.

Oh, anger issues on top of everything else, eh? Perfect for that
aviation career you claim.

I have lurked here many years and posted
ocassionally under different I.D.s. I am not one of Jay's
housekeepers. I make a comfortable living as a senior instructor &
staff member of a well-known part 141 school. I also am an A&P who
will soon earn my IA and be moving on to a very different arena in
aviation, one with far less physical work and much higher pay.

Oh yeah, that's *real* believable. And if it were true, I'd stay as far
as possible away from any school or shop that employed you. A guy who
enjoys getting high on opiates on the job and fails to recognize the
negative impact is not the person I want working on any machinery I'm
going to depend on to keep me alive. Or to teach anyone I would so
depend on.

Oh, and Darrell? Using the name of a decorated Marine general and ace as
your nym - smooth move!
Old January 3rd 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

In over two decades of participation in Usenet, I've seen 'em come and
go. *Unfortunately, the bad seem to drive out the good. *Remember
George Patterson, Pete Duniho, Wally Roberts, John T. Lowry, John R.
Johnson, Wes Grady, Mary Shafer, ... ?

And I can add another dozen or so names to that list. All real
people, all using their real names, all real pilots. All gone.

Not that they didn't relish a good argument -- far from it! But
rather than simply shouting people down, they preferred to win through
by using logic, superior knowledge, and a persuasive argument to carry
the day. It was...fun.

Your post makes many good points, and I thank you for posting them.
Let's hope we see a renaissance of those values here again.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 3rd 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"F. Baum" wrote:

On Jan 1, 6:37*pm, Bob Noel
wrote:

Jay OTOH stikes me as one of these people who has to validate himself
by constantly parading his aviation exploits in front of everyone. He
is the kind of guy who needs lists like these. Look at the way he
theatens to leave but doesnt. I feel sorry for him.

And what is shown by your constant need to jump on Jay?

The guy abuses this list. Go back and take a look where JH has
"Jumped" on me.

You didn't answer the question.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old January 3rd 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 06:55:44 -0800 (PST), Jay Honeck
wrote:

True, everyone here (well, with some exceptions) figured it out --
eventually. In my case, however, I wasted 35 years of my life on the
ground, gazing skyward, never realizing how truly easy and accessible
GA was...

Hmmm, between R/C models and reading Richard Bach (the old stuff, of
course, before he got New Age weird), I never had any doubt that I'd
learn to fly (which I did, at age 16), or that it would be easy.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
Old January 3rd 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 2, 12:58*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

housekeepers. I make a comfortable living as a senior instructor &
staff member of a well-known part 141 school. I also am an A&P who
will soon earn my IA and be moving on to a very different arena in
aviation, one with far less physical work and much higher pay.

Oh great, another delusional manager.

Bertie

Nope Bertie, no management for me (especially mid-level). Did you read
IA?

George
Old January 3rd 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stella Starr[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/239ane

The reporter got almost every detail wrong --

I must have missed those details, because I know you and your kid, and
the story looked pretty good; names, ages, the Inn, his course of study;
What errors should be corrected?
Old January 3rd 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 2, 9:20*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Snipped usual ugly drivel...

Bertie, you DO give an ugly face to aviation in the context of this
group.

Old January 3rd 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Stella Starr wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/239ane

The reporter got almost every detail wrong --

I must have missed those details, because I know you and your kid, and
the story looked pretty good; names, ages, the Inn, his course of study;
What errors should be corrected?

The reporter quoted Jay as saying a commercial rating requires 500
hours. We're supposed to believe this was the reporter's mistake, not Jay's.