A little positive GA news coverage

Old January 3rd 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default A little positive GA news coverage

Dana M. Hague d(dash)m(dash)hague(at)comcast(dot)net wrote in
:

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 06:55:44 -0800 (PST), Jay Honeck
wrote:

True, everyone here (well, with some exceptions) figured it out --
eventually. In my case, however, I wasted 35 years of my life on the
ground, gazing skyward, never realizing how truly easy and accessible
GA was...

Hmmm, between R/C models and reading Richard Bach (the old stuff, of
course, before he got New Age weird), I never had any doubt that I'd
learn to fly (which I did, at age 16), or that it would be easy.

You could afford RC models back then?
Even a Heathkit set back then was megabucks. Unless yo were just doing
escapement or galloping ghost.

Bertie
Old January 3rd 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote...

And I can add another dozen or so names to that list. All real
people, all using their real names, all real pilots. All gone.
Not that they didn't relish a good argument -- far from it!
But rather than simply shouting people down, they preferred
to win through by using logic, superior knowledge, and a persuasive
argument to carry the day. It was...fun. Your post makes many
good points, and I thank you for posting them. Let's hope we
see a renaissance of those values here again.

It appears that the popular theory is that these people left because they
couldn't stand the fact that people like Bertie were allowed to post here -
doesn't seem plausible to me. A more believeable reason is that they no
longer got anything from being here - perhaps the majority of the
discussions started to trend towards fluff and/or areas they simply weren't
interested in.

You guys always like to talk about signal to noise ratio which is puzzling
to me. YOU are in control of your signal to noise ratio. If you don't care
to read posts from a particular person, DON'T! How tough is that? It's no
different from scrolling past topics you're not intersted in. Same goes for
mx - he's an argumentative character with no aviation background and he
posts to provoke more than anything else. So what? Nobody is forcing you
to read his stuff.

Every time mx posts there is a response from Bertie. I know what he is
going to say, so I typically do not read the response. At the same time I
don't get my undies all up in a bundle because he responded.

BDS

Old January 3rd 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The reporter got almost every detail wrong --

I must have missed those details, because I know you and your kid, and
the story looked pretty good; names, ages, the Inn, his course of study;
What errors should be corrected?

Gosh, where to start? The errors include...

- Referring to the certificate as a "permit"
- Referring to the checkride as a "licensing exam"
- Saying Joe was introduced to flying in a C-150 when he was 7 years
old. (Dunno WHERE he got that from.)
- Saying Joe flew at night to get his ticket
- Sayiing he flew to Burlington using no navigational aids
- Saying the oral exam was just 5 questions
- Saying the commercial requires 500 hours

The guy got just about every nuance wrong -- but luckily most of this
stuff would only be known to pilots. IMHO the overall story came
through as a positive hit for aviation.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 3rd 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

It appears that the popular theory is that these people left because they
couldn't stand the fact that people like Bertie were allowed to post here -
doesn't seem plausible to me. *A more believeable reason is that they no
longer got anything from being here - perhaps the majority of the
discussions started to trend towards fluff and/or areas they simply weren't
interested in.

Both theories are correct.

Having a troll in the group is similar to having a crying baby in a
nice restaurant. All intelligent conversation ceases until the
parents haul the kid out.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 3rd 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Jan 2, 7:24*am, Jay Honeck wrote:
Jay, you have probably KF'edme by now but here goes,

I'm sorry if I've ever hurt your feelings here. *The only harsh words
I've ever written here have been in response to what I perceived to be
personal attacks, either on myself or others.

Accepted, thank you.

Until recently your contributions here have been well-done and
valuable, and I truly don't understand your new-found need to
personally attack me, or Jim, or anyone else here.

Dont take my personal attacks personally. You made a pretty stong post
around Xmas time about the state of this group. I suggested that you
might (From time to time) foster the very problem you were complaining
about. I will go back to lurking .
F Baum

Old January 3rd 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Dont take my personal attacks personally.

That would make a great signature line here!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 3rd 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Having a troll in the group is similar to having a crying baby
in a nice restaurant. All intelligent conversation ceases until
the parents haul the kid out.

Not really - there is no way to ignore the sound of a crying baby. I sure
wish all I would have to do is hit a delete key when our neighbor's dog is
barking in the middle of the night, or a kid is kicking the back of my seat
on the airplane, or a child is crying in the middle of the restaurant.

I suspect the real problem is frustration with a lack of control over
certain persons' presence here and at what they write, not that they are
difficult to ignore.

I probably read about 5-10% of what is posted here based on subject and
poster, and ignore certain other threads/posts for various reasons. I find
it pretty easy to do this without even using any filters.

BDS