A little positive GA news coverage

Old January 3rd 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default A little positive GA news coverage

Jay Honeck wrote in
:

It appears that the popular theory is that these people left because
they couldn't stand the fact that people like Bertie were allowed to
post here

-
doesn't seem plausible to me. *A more believeable reason is that they
no

longer got anything from being here - perhaps the majority of the
discussions started to trend towards fluff and/or areas they simply
weren'

interested in.

Both theories are correct.

Having a troll in the group is similar to having a crying baby in a
nice restaurant. All intelligent conversation ceases until the
parents haul the kid out.
--

Bwawhahwhahw!

Only one crying here is you Jay.

Bertie
Old January 3rd 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jay Honeck wrote in news:beeda1f7-8ac2-4ce4-9ff1-
:

Dont take my personal attacks personally.

That would make a great signature line here!

I think I'll put this in Wiki undr "hypocrite"

Bertie
Old January 3rd 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Not really - there is no way to ignore the sound of a crying baby. *I sure
wish all I would have to do is hit a delete key when our neighbor's dog is
barking in the middle of the night, or a kid is kicking the back of my seat
on the airplane, or a child is crying in the middle of the restaurant.

Perhaps a better analogy is a toddler running up and down between the
restaurant tables. Can you ignore it? Sure -- but it definitely
detracts from the experience.

I suspect the real problem is frustration with a lack of control over
certain persons' presence here and at what they write, not that they are
difficult to ignore.

Truly, there is that. It's hard to tolerate anonymous personal
attacks in a piloting group, whether they are on you or others.

I brought down the wrath of Bertie by calling him out on his absurd
obsession with our other Troll of the Year, MXManic -- and now he's
decided to be my rump ranger on every post. It's funny, in a way, but
mostly it's just sad and embarrassing to think that a guy who purports
to be a pilot could have...issues like this.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- I'll take a dozen MXs in
this group over a single Bertie. MX is annoying, to be sure, but in
an innocent, almost child-like way. He's an ignorant lost soul, but
he occasionally asks valid questions that benefit the group, and he
therefore deserves a modicum of respect.

Bertie, on the other hand, has pronounced time and time again that
he's a real pilot, yet he apparently chooses to keep his piloting
knowledge to himself. Instead of contributing in any sort of
constructive way, he chooses to hound MX (and me, and Larry, and
perhaps you, now) with his witless, clueless trademarked, knee-jerk

In short, he/she is an anonymous troll who *thinks* they've got the
chops to play here, but doesn't have the brains or the balls to back
it up. THAT truly deserves the wrath of every pilot in this group --
yet a poor dolt like MX gets all the attention?

There are two primary reasons for this, IMHO:

1. As noted, many regular, long-time posters have moved on, after
enduring six months of troll abuse and MX-bashing.
2. Most people put Bertie in a killfile long ago, so they don't even
see his tripe.

I probably read about 5-10% of what is posted here based on subject and
poster, and ignore certain other threads/posts for various reasons. *I find
it pretty easy to do this without even using any filters.

That's easy to say, until you become the "troll target of the day".
Then it's not quite so easy to ignore.

The only silver lining to Bertie is that -- given the sheer volume and
round-the-clock nature of his posts -- there is no way he's an active
commercial pilot. At least we don't have to worry about running into
such an unstable whack job in the front seat of an airliner.

As for my New Year's Resolution, here it is: The Bunyip no long exists
in my world. I'm following Larry's example, and will no longer
discuss his presence here, nor respond to his posts. Sadly, it's time
to break out the killfile -- and I strongly suggest that everyone here
do the same as a constructive first step into 2008. We've wasted all
together too many electrons discussing this truly insignificant
annoyance.

Happy New Year!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 3rd 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jay Honeck wrote in
:

[...]

Oh dear, you don't know much about me, do you?

Once locked on I usually keep this up for years.

The only silver lining to Bertie is that -- given the sheer volume and
round-the-clock nature of his posts -- there is no way he's an active
commercial pilot.

Bwawhawhahwhahhwhahw

At least we don't have to worry about running into
such an unstable whack job in the front seat of an airliner.

Yeh, right wannabe boi.

As for my New Year's Resolution, here it is: The Bunyip no long exists
in my world. I'm following Larry's example, and will no longer
discuss his presence here, nor respond to his posts.

Good luck with that wannabe boi

BTW, you couldn't respond to my posts and you know very well why.

Bertie

Old January 3rd 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
Not really - there is no way to ignore the sound of a crying baby. I sure
wish all I would have to do is hit a delete key when our neighbor's dog is
barking in the middle of the night, or a kid is kicking the back of my seat
on the airplane, or a child is crying in the middle of the restaurant.

Perhaps a better analogy is a toddler running up and down between the
restaurant tables. Can you ignore it? Sure -- but it definitely
detracts from the experience.

Rather like your endless self-promotion and off-topic posting.
Old January 3rd 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

BDS writes:

I suspect the real problem is frustration with a lack of control over
certain persons' presence here and at what they write, not that they are
difficult to ignore.

The price of freedom of speech.
Old January 3rd 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

BDS writes:

I suspect the real problem is frustration with a lack of control over
certain persons' presence here and at what they write, not that they are
difficult to ignore.

The price of freedom of speech.

And i rest my case.

Bertie
Old January 3rd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Honeck schrieb:
Not really - there is no way to ignore the sound of a crying baby. I sure
wish all I would have to do is hit a delete key when our neighbor's dog is
barking in the middle of the night, or a kid is kicking the back of my seat
on the airplane, or a child is crying in the middle of the restaurant.

Perhaps a better analogy is a toddler running up and down between the
restaurant tables. Can you ignore it? Sure -- but it definitely
detracts from the experience.

You 'can' throw the toddler out through the front window of the
restaurant, but this has some nasty side effects :-)
You can't really throw somebody out of usenet, but you can throw him out
of your sight by using a/your killfile that comes with your newsreader.
I don't know if google-groups supports such features.

2. Most people put Bertie in a killfile long ago, so they don't even
see his tripe.

All I 'see' is first the total amount of posts to the group and after
clicking into the group the actual amount of posts left over after the
filter did his work.

As for my New Year's Resolution, here it is: The Bunyip no long exists
in my world. I'm following Larry's example, and will no longer
discuss his presence here, nor respond to his posts. Sadly, it's time

this is not the worst of ideas one can have. :-)

to break out the killfile -- and I strongly suggest that everyone here

leaves the question if you can use this with google-groups. but there
have been pointed out many alternatives 2 U. there are many/some free
usenet-servers out there for you to use (or for a small fee if you also
want binaries), or you VPN back to your office while on the road or at
home or you use a mix of both or/and go with your usenet-client on a
usb-stick (U3-features).

#m
--
I am not a terrorist http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old January 3rd 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Martin Hotze wrote in
:

Jay Honeck schrieb:
[...]

And its the first thing I said to him about six months ago when he
started whining then.

Bertie