XCSoar With LNAV?

Old March 11th 13, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default XCSoar With LNAV?

I've got a couple of friends who have acquired Androids and installed
XCSoar. Both of their gliders have LNAV and GPS-NAV installed.

Can their Androids be interfaced to the LNAV via K6-BT or IOIO?

It was easy connecting with my 302 and K6-BT...

Dan, 5J

Old March 11th 13, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

A discussion on the SeeYou Mobile forum may be helpful:

http://forum.naviter.com/threads/229...ith-LNAV/page3
Old March 11th 13, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]

On Monday, March 11, 2013 12:51:59 AM UTC+1, Dan Marotta wrote:
Can their Androids be interfaced to the LNAV via K6-BT or IOIO?

I have never used any of these products, but usually K6Bt and IOIO works just like a cable would.
Old March 11th 13, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I just had a quick look behind one's panel but it doesn't look like there's
any place to plug in the serial to Bluetooth device without unplugging
something else. Maybe the GPS control head...

Old March 15th 13, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

I have XCSoar running on a Dell Streak 5 and wanted to look into connecting to the L-Nav in my glider. I have an IOIO board, but I believe the real problem is that the L-Nav doesn't use the same protocol as the 302. XCSoar essentially doesn't have the right driver for the L-Nav and so far none of the developers have a need to configure a driver for the L-Nav or the hardware to actually do it.

I suspect there are many potential users of that configuration, but it will take a user with the drive and the skillset to augment the XCSoar code with the necessary pieces to support the L-Nav.

Hans has some useful info on his website about connecting GPS data to an L-Nav.

https://sites.google.com/site/threeuniform/lnav

Morgan

"

Old March 16th 13, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Morgan,

By "L-NAV" do you mean an L-NAV and GPS-NAV combination? The L-NAV does not
send any data out to soaring flight software. It can send data to a
GPS-NAV. The GPS-NAV then sends the vario and GPS data out to the soaring
flight software.

I have the L-NAV and GPS-NAV dataport specification if you need it.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
__________________________

Old March 16th 13, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

I've picked up a new Android (Ice Crème Sandwich) phone (Galaxy Stratosphere) and have installed the latest 6.5.1 XCSoar app. But I am not having any luck getting the program to recognize the data files for airspace, airports and turn points that I have loaded into the XCSoarData folder.

I have been able to create two different glider profiles and can see them in the XCSoarData folder.

Any ideas?

Bill T

Old March 16th 13, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Hi Paul,

I don't have the time to develop the C+ skills to work on getting communication working between the L-NAV and XCSoar right now so I probably don't need the comm spec. I do know a pilot that has sent me something of the sentence structure that the L-NAV uses when communicating with the GPS Nav. I think that could possibly be used for getting data into XCSoar, but I haven't seen what all it can support.

I actually am quite happy leaving them disconnected from each other at this point. It allows me to leave XCSoar at a higher MC value or at least with a larger polar degradation buffer and experiment with the L-Nav MC value for more aggressive flying.

I do miss XCSoar having real-time wind info on a long glide though.

Morgan

Old March 16th 13, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Max and XCSoar Team

For the old Cambridge LNAV to achieve full functionality (i.e. automatic final glide calculation) it needs following sentences:
GPRMB standard NMEA sentence with Waypoint/GoTo info
GPRMC standard NMEA sentence with current location info
PCAIB Cambridge proprietary sentence with waypoint elevation info.

The format of the PCAIB sentence is:
$PCAIB,1,2,CRLF
1 Destination Navpoint elevation in meters, format XXXXX (leading zeros will be transmitted)
2 Destination Navpoint attribute word, format XXXXX (leading zeros will be
transmitted)

Normally these 3 sentences are provided to the LNAV from the GPSNAV/303 combination.

So, the questions a
Can XCSoar output these 3 sentences on a serial interface at 4800 Baud ?
Does that need to be a separate COM port or can this be output on the same COM port, where the input is used e.g for PowerFlarm data (GPS, Flarm and pressure data).

I am using an IPAQ310, which has only 1 wired external port, currently connected to PowerFlarm.
Personally I don't care about other data exchange with the LNAV, e.g. for sync of McCready setting.
Old March 16th 13, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry guys. Forget about the second question.
That was a momentary lapse of reason on my side.
Of course as a standard you cannot have 19k2 Baud Rx and 4k8 Baud Tx on the same serial interface.
But the fact remains that the LNAV needs 4k8 Baud.

In my case, with the IPAQ310, that would only leave the BlueTooth interface, as the hardwired interface is already used for the PowerFlarm.
This would require a KT6BT interface (at US$200) or similar.
As Max says on this webpages: far too expensive for my taste. (http://max.kellermann.name/blog/k6_b...ls_vfbt_1.html)

3U

LPV versus LNAV/VNAV versus LNAV+V Wyatt Emmerich[_2_] Instrument Flight Rules 6 December 17th 07 02:38 AM
Almost an LNav Steve Leonard Soaring 0 October 16th 06 11:48 PM
Almost an LNAV Fish Soaring 0 October 16th 06 12:24 PM
LNAV preferable over LNAV/VNAV [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 4 October 16th 05 06:34 PM
LNav Gregg Leslie Soaring 1 May 22nd 05 06:23 AM