aerobat

Old October 23rd 04, 11:48 PM
Silent Bob.

Default aerobat

Hi all.

i have an endorsement for the 152 and 172 - will the aerobat be as much fun
as the training flight i did in the citabria? I know probably not *quite* as
powerful and efficient, but will i do rolls and loops and leave passengers
smiling?

Im particularly interestred in aeros pilots who exclusively or mainly fly
the aerobat.
thanks

Old October 24th 04, 12:19 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Silent Bob." wrote in message
Hi all.

i have an endorsement for the 152 and 172 - will the aerobat be as
much fun
as the training flight i did in the citabria? I know probably not
*quite* as
powerful and efficient, but will i do rolls and loops and leave
passengers
smiling?

Im particularly interestred in aeros pilots who exclusively or mainly
fly
the aerobat.
thanks

I've instructed in most all the available aerobatic trainers at one time
or another. You will find the bat marginal for acro and extremely
cramped with two people and chutes, especially if one or both of you are
fairly big people :-). I always flew the bat at half tanks with
students. It handles a bit better. It's better in the vertical plane
than in roll, but if flown correctly will do the job for you. In aileron
rolls, timing is everything. You don't have much time to play around at
the nose high roll onset position. You bleed airspeed like a stuck pig
in these light trainers. Barrel rolls are very easy and the bat will do
a beautiful barrel for you. Loops are fine. Unload a bit at the top.
Immelmann's are a hoot! Not enough energy at the apex, and no inverted
system. It rolls out like a wounded whale. In fact, that's what we
called the maneuver; a vertical while half looped followed by a half
whale roll! Cubans can be done if done correctly. Slow rolls and point
rolls require a very nose high entry and almost parabolic in a constant
curve through the maneuver. Sort of like a sine curve :-)
It's fun I guess, but the Pitts and the P51 were MORE fun!! :-))
:-)
Good luck and stay safe.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship