Pitss S-1S related questions

Old March 19th 05, 09:24 PM
Sascha Schott

Default Pitss S-1S related questions

We are a group of three German aerobatic pilots seeking a Pitts S-1S,
preferably N-registered, with a 200 hp Lycoming.

Regarding the Pitts, we are beginners. As every plane has its typical
"teething troubles", we wish to get in contact with S-1S
owners/sellers/pilots who are willing to offer their support. Perhaps
we can avoid some of already-known beginner's mistakes!?

Any advice would be highly appreciated with regard to:
- Certification
- Flying skills/training
- Maintenance (AD's, mods, etc.)
- Parts supply
- Experience with options/upgrades (keywords: Wolf cowls, spring gear,
Haigh tail wheel, Penn Yan, Hooker, etc.)

Please e-mail to:

Many thanks in advance!
Sascha
Old March 20th 05, 09:16 PM

Sascha Schott wrote:
We are a group of three German aerobatic pilots seeking a Pitts S-1S,
preferably N-registered, with a 200 hp Lycoming.

Most S-1Ss are 180hp. I've been told the 200hp engine
doesn't like being over rev'd, so it needs the CS prop.
(All of the factory S-1Ss are 180hp and fixed pitch prop.)

Any advice would be highly appreciated with regard to:
- Certification

Some are factory (standard CofA), some homebuilt.
- Flying skills/training

Lots of dual in a 2 holer with the right instructor. Mostly
ciruits (pattern work).

Can't help with the rest. I owned a share in one maintained by
the local Pitts guru and he took care of that stuff. I believe
that IAC has lots of Pitts maintenance info.

Great fun, but a one purpose airplane, rick

Old March 24th 05, 09:50 PM

ODB wrote:
you mean you couldnt do 200nm in one from penn to boston and back ?

You could, but it wasn't much fun. Why, well...
- The one I had a share in had a range of about 160nm, plus fuel
reserve
(cruised about 105knots @ 9gph and had a 16gal tank), so you'd
do a fuel stop enroute, each way. (A coarse pitch prop might
have allowed a 200nm non-stop. This one had a 56" pitch prop
and did 120mph @ 2500RPM with the throttle about 1/3 open.)
- It was fun to gas up. The tank opening was such that the big
nossles on the fuel trucks didn't fit it. So, we carried this
funky chunk of clear hose and had to convince the fuel truck
guy to let us do it. (sometimes they refused and ended up
spilling gas all over the place)
- Then it had to be re-started. Ours didn't have a full electrical
system, so that meant a hand prop (great fun when it's a hot
fuel injected 180hp lyc) or a booster cable for 12 volt.
(We had one with jumper clips, but I remember one guy getting
hit with a $100 charge for the boost start.) You can avoid
this with a full electrical system, but if you're serious about
aeros, you don't want to be carrying a generator and battery
around all the time.
- You travel alone, with your head poking out a golpher hole.
- Oh, and by the time you put the booster cable and gas hose
in the baggage cubby hole behind your head, well, you were
travelling with the clothes on your back. (Clean undies are
way overrated:-)

A great way to travel, so long as it's daylight and good weather.

rick
ps: So I almost never left the aerobatic box right on the
airport. Lots of 0.3hr flights in my logbook.