New traffic warning device

Old January 21st 04, 05:00 AM
Loran

Default New traffic warning device

I have talked to a handful of pilots who have taken order on the new
cockpit-tcas "trafficscope" made by SureCheck aviation who swear by
it. Has anyone else used it?
Old January 23rd 04, 10:36 AM
Thomas Borchert

Loran,

The concept isn't as new as your post might suggest. There are three
contenders in this:

- Surecheck with the Trafficscope vr (no altitude readout) and vrx
(altitude readout)
- Monroy Aero's ATD-300 (altitude readout)
- Proxalert's R5 (altitude readout)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 25th 04, 05:54 PM
Thierry

(Loran) wrote in message . com...
I have talked to a handful of pilots who have taken order on the new
cockpit-tcas "trafficscope" made by SureCheck aviation who swear by
it. Has anyone else used it?

Hi,
You can find info on the Proxalert R5 at
www.proxalert.com
Only device to simultaneously displays info of up to three threats
including code. Plenty of units already shipped in the US, Canada and
Europe.
Regards,
Terry
Old January 28th 04, 01:40 AM
Loran

Correct me of I am wrong, but don't most aircraft in general aviation
squawk 1200? If 95% of aircraft around me are squawking 1200 how
would this help me?

Loran

Old January 30th 04, 04:02 PM
Andrew

Loran,
Keep in mind that beside VFR you also get IFR.

If you get more than one threat around the competitve guy never stop
his flip-flop between threats. Very disturbing.

Andrew,
R5 user

Old January 30th 04, 11:06 PM
Loran

I think that would be the case with the atd300 device since it doesn't
show more than one traffic according to their user manual, but I have
not heard or read that complaint from the trafficscope users. I
skimmed through the trafficscope manual, and it says it allows for up
to 3 threats to be shown as well. The ryan tcad does the same thing
and allows multiple views.

But as far as displaying the code, I think that is useless information
because most aircraft are bound to be VFR, not IFR. Unless you are
flying in bad weather or around a flight training hub, you will
probably see a bunch of 1200 codes. I noticed that the R5 is from
France, so maybe they have not flown around the U.S. much to notice
this.

What matters is portability, accuracy of the altitude, range, and the
overall size in my opinion. So far I think from comparing manuals the
trafficscope has the corner on all of these. One thing that disturbed
me about the R5 is that to use it in my plane I would have to get an
extra adapter for my 28 Volt bus, whereas the trafficscope accepts the
internal batteries or up to 40 volts which is a very nice feature.

I have one on order, and will report more as I fly with it.

Old January 31st 04, 01:10 PM
Thomas Borchert

Loran,

What matters is portability, accuracy of the altitude, range, and the
overall size in my opinion.

Uh, price?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 31st 04, 09:38 PM
Loran

Price is a factor, but so are the features. If you look at the ATD
sure it is low priced, but it also doesn't have near the features or
resolution as the other devices. You get what you pay for I think. If
you squawk any one of these codes, the ATD user handbook says it will
get confused and bounce back and forth between the target and "image"
target. http://www.airsport-corp.com/modecascii.txt I think it is
worth a couple hundred bucks extra to get better resolution and
accurate information, if you are going to spend that much anyway.

Loran,

Old February 1st 04, 03:22 PM
Thomas Borchert

Loran,

If you look at the ATD
sure it is low priced, but it also doesn't have near the features or
resolution as the other devices.

Care to explain?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)