Surfing and Soaring?

Old February 1st 19, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

Default Surfing and Soaring?

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 4:26:39 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
Does anyone who's done both seriously care to contrast the two?

I've only read autobiographies of ocean wave surfers, but there seem to be some points of contact in terms of motivation, the experience, the quest, the immersion, the risk taking, the weather, the places, the compulsion, the high...

i've done both, surfed and built boards in the '60's. Many similarities. Nature's force propels you, out in the great outdoors. Surfing was cheaper. As I got older my fake knees wouldn't work so I couldn't surf anymore and I retired, as planned, from soaring when I was 70, I miss both.

gkemp
Old February 1st 19, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

The legendary Woody Brown. Surfer, sailplane pilot.

Old February 1st 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 10:04:33 AM UTC-6, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
The legendary Woody Brown. Surfer, sailplane pilot.

Begin he
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Brown_(surfer)
Old February 1st 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was a big wave surer in my younger years. I thought I had a good skill set and hung with notable surfers. Surfed all the west coast of Mexico and California and Hawaii. I have to say the thrill of a double overhead wave is incomparable.

I have been soaring since the 80's and consider myself only a middling pilot. I can't surf to my satisfaction anymore but I hope to continue soaring for may years to come.

Old February 2nd 19, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Surfer (and sailor) here as well, although there isn't much surfing in Montana. I definitely see the connection though. Lots of similarities. I also see lots of similarities to sailing, which I think is even more similar to soaring.
Old February 2nd 19, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have windsurfed for many years and would consider that a better comparison. One is actually holding a Airfoil in you hands.
Old February 2nd 19, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 6:26:39 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Does anyone who's done both seriously care to contrast the two?

I've only read autobiographies of ocean wave surfers, but there seem to be some points of contact in terms of motivation, the experience, the quest, the immersion, the risk taking, the weather, the places, the compulsion, the high...

---------------------------------

My response: I know several sailplane pilots who've also sailed or raced catamarans, surfed, wake-boarded, windsurfed, kite-boarded, kite-skied, downhill ski, backpacked, dabble in outdoor photography, enjoy watching weather, scuba diving, enjoy aviation in general, and otherwise have traveled the country (or parts of the world) at various times in their life.

The best common nexus I can identify, is we all seem to like participating in:

safe (a relative term), eco-friendly outdoor adventure sports (read hobbies that bring us closer to Mother Nature and her forces)

Additionally, there are artist types who outwardly don't come across as tough guys or risk takers that have been drawn in by our sport too who've accepted the risks associated with our sport just because of the sheer beauty and joy soaring brings to them. Millard Wells comes to mind.
Old February 2nd 19, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 6:26:39 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Does anyone who's done both seriously care to contrast the two?

I've only read autobiographies of ocean wave surfers, but there seem to be some points of contact in terms of motivation, the experience, the quest, the immersion, the risk taking, the weather, the places, the compulsion, the high...

I know several sailplane pilots who've also sailed or raced catamarans, surfed, wake-boarded, windsurfed, kite-boarded, kite-skied, downhill ski, backpacked, dabble in outdoor photography, enjoy watching weather, scuba diving, enjoy aviation in general, and otherwise have traveled the country at various times in their life.

The best common nexus I can identify is that we all seem to like participating in:

safe (a relative term), eco-friendly outdoor adventure sports (read hobbies that bring us closer to Mother Nature and her forces)

Additionally, there are artist types who outwardly don't come across as tough guys or risk takers that have been drawn in by our sport too, who've accepted the risks associated with our sport just because of the sheer beauty and joy soaring brings them. Millard Wells comes to mind.
Old February 3rd 19, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Nature propels you", captures so much of the essence that soaring and surfing share. I can't think of another sport where nature physically lifts us like these and hang gliding. Its a beautiful experience right there, but shifting surf breaks, like thermals, offer something more - dancing with nature's rhythm. And she has definitely has the lead. : )