WingX Browser: Free Weather on your Pocket PC - no wireless connection required!

Old October 12th 05, 07:54 PM
Hilton

Default WingX Browser: Free Weather on your Pocket PC - no wireless connection required!

Hi,

Just wanted to let the group know about our new WingX Browser Beta. It'll
display color-coded METARs, TAFs, winds aloft, temperature aloft, trends
etc. Take a look at the screen shots (landscape mode too):

http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/Beta.html

We'll add more as time goes on, so please email me at hilton@company
name.com and share you thoughts.

BTW: No wireless connection required. Simply sync before you leave, or if
you do have a wireless connection, sync up anytime.

Oh, and there are no registration, no subscription, no fees, no small
print... Download, install, and away you go!

Thanks,

Hilton

Old October 12th 05, 10:20 PM
PilotCFI

"Hilton" wrote in news:IZc3f.268$4O1.256
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/Beta.html

First I had a Compaq IPAQ but all the aviation software I wanted was for
Palm. Bought Tungsten T3. Now all the software I want is for WinMobile
devices. As Paul Harvey says " Ain't no use in worryin', Ain't nothin
going to turn out all right" Mega-sigh.
Old October 13th 05, 08:19 PM
Jim Burns

Wow!! How cool! Able to grab all the METARS/TAFs for the entire US or just
the states you want, then color codes them so you can easily find better (or
worse) weather at a glance! Also shows you how old the info is. Can't
remember what the winds aloft were? No problem! Just select from the pull
down menu. Too cool.
Thanks Hilton! You've given me a whole new reason to drop my iPaq in my
pocket before taking off!
Jim

k.net...

Old October 13th 05, 09:07 PM
Jim Burns

Yep, got it installed also. Just retrieved the iPaq from my truck after
using it on and off the past few weeks for other things and low and behold,
it's memory was totally erased. I had to re install everything. grrrrrrrrr
Jim

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in message
Jim, just wanted to mention; if you haven't seen the main WingX

application
from the HiltonSoftware website (the one for purchase),,, you would also

be
impressed even further at all IT can do (you're IPAQ would NEVER leave

your
pocket grin).

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman
CP-ASEL-IA

Student - C.F.I.

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old October 14th 05, 07:02 AM
Hilton

Jim Burns wrote:
Yep, got it installed also. Just retrieved the iPaq from my truck after
using it on and off the past few weeks for other things and low and
behold,
it's memory was totally erased. I had to re install everything.
grrrrrrrrr

Jim,

This is a really frustrating issue on Pocket PCs. Occasionally I have
bumped a button and lost the memory contents. The good news is that the new
Mobile 5.0 from Microsoft solves this problem and you won't lose data in the
same way. Call HP and see if an upgrade is available for your iPaq. Mobile
5.0 has some other goodies, but the 'under the hood' Persistant Storage
might be the best of them.

Hilton

Old October 14th 05, 07:12 AM
Hilton

Jim Burns wrote:
Wow!! How cool! Able to grab all the METARS/TAFs for the entire US or
just
the states you want, then color codes them so you can easily find better
(or
worse) weather at a glance! Also shows you how old the info is. Can't
remember what the winds aloft were? No problem! Just select from the
pull
down menu. Too cool.
Thanks Hilton! You've given me a whole new reason to drop my iPaq in my
pocket before taking off!

Stop it - I'm blushing. Seriously, have you tried 'Quick Look'?
(please let me know if you can think of a better name). Quick Look was
designed for people like me who like 'raw data' METARs and TAFs, but with
some tweaks:

1. Times are converted to local, so "TEMPO 0913" becomes "TEMPO 2am-6am"
2. Altitudes are WYSIWYG, so OVC048 becomes OVC4800'

I'm not convinced that translated (i.e. English instead of raw) is good for
Pocket PCs except to demo at Expos.

Thanks again for your comments. BTW: WingX got a little write-up and Cecil
was quoted in this month's Airport Journals.

http://www.airportjournals.com/Flori...?varID=0510037

Hilton