molding plexiglas websites?

Old February 4th 05, 02:21 AM

Default molding plexiglas websites?

Hi all,

I'm want to replace the windows in my airplane and want to make my own.

I've got an oven, piece of plexiglas and the old window.

Are there any good websites with information on how to do this without
killing myself?

Thanks

Dave

Old February 4th 05, 02:35 AM

wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I'm want to replace the windows in my airplane and want to make my own.

I've got an oven, piece of plexiglas and the old window.

It's NOT Plexiglass- It's Lexan.

Lot's of info he
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+form+lexan

Edwin

Old February 4th 05, 02:51 AM
Ed Sullivan

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:35:51 -0800, "--" wrote:

wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I'm want to replace the windows in my airplane and want to make my own.

I've got an oven, piece of plexiglas and the old window.

It's NOT Plexiglass- It's Lexan.

Lot's of info he
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+form+lexan

Edwin

Edwin baby, unless you know what kind of airplane it's from, your
answer is rather presumptive. Plexiglas is much easier to heat form.

Ed Sullivan

Old February 5th 05, 03:32 AM
Robert Bates

When I was in A&P school, we heated it ( can't remember what to ) then
formed it over a mold by hand using clean white cotton gloves being careful
not to stay in one spot too long.

Old February 6th 05, 02:02 PM
Dick

George or Richard,
A little off the subject. A fellow at my airport had heard of a method to
remove scratches. It involved plastic, I think acrylic, figurines and a
propane torch heating slightly the scratches to "erase" them. I was
wondering if anyone had any such knowledge.

My yet-to-be installed, 20year old canopy
was lightly sanded with the wrong grit and scratched up both inside and
outside. After researching the methods available to sand/polish them out
and considering greatly differing opinions, I'd like to find another method
short of buying/making a new canopy.

Thanks, Dick

Old February 6th 05, 02:20 PM
George A. Graham

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Dick wrote:

propane torch heating slightly the scratches to "erase" them. I was

Well, You must know that you can sand out the scratches, and save the
canopy. However, it may be more work than it's worth.

So long as you are prepared to purchase another, and they are available,
why not experiment.

I've seen scratch remover sold for eyeglasses that I'd try first.
I cannot imagine the torch idea leaving a clear view through the
canopy, and removing the waves is as much work as removing the scratches.

George Graham
RX-7 Powered Graham-EZ, N4449E
Homepage http://bfn.org/~ca266

Old February 6th 05, 02:31 PM
George A. Graham

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Blueskies wrote:

Details about the oven?

That would depend on the size of the windows.

I made mine out of foil faced rigid insulation board, held into box shape
with duct tape, the handyman's secret weapon. The tape went soft and let
go when heated, so I had to use nails into wood corner strips.

It was four by three by two feet overall. A baseboard heater three feet
long was modified to eliminate the tip-over switch, so that it could
lay flat on it's back on the floor of the oven. I had a thermometer stuck
through the wall, and controlled the heater by unplugging it.

The lid was hinged so that I could peek inside to watch the window.

Certainly disposable.