Why I have parachutes

Old August 31st 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Default Why I have parachutes

Richard Riley wrote:
Some folks have given me a good razzing about having parachutes in my
airplane.

I think I may just hand them a copy of this next time. (click the
link, check the picture.)

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...0025/-1/REGION

I'd like to see what's left of the glider...

Tony
Old August 31st 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Anthony W" wrote in message
Richard Riley wrote:
Some folks have given me a good razzing about having parachutes in my
airplane. I think I may just hand them a copy of this next time. (click
the
link, check the picture.)

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...0025/-1/REGION

I'd like to see what's left of the glider...

Tony

One of the following pictures show part of the wing spar imbedded in the
nose of the jet.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4683/11dy6.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5328/5oy9.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2266/dscf0034vm0.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2240/14nx6.jpg

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F" (Glider)
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old August 31st 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Wayne Paul wrote:

One of the following pictures show part of the wing spar imbedded in the
nose of the jet.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4683/11dy6.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5328/5oy9.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2266/dscf0034vm0.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2240/14nx6.jpg

Wayne

That glider pilot was one lucky SOB... I take it the collision happened
pretty high up for the guy to be able to parachute out?

Tony

Old August 31st 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Anthony W" wrote in message
newsvFJg.9187$4O4.1052@trnddc02...

That glider pilot was one lucky SOB...

No, lucky is when the bizjet misses you.

Vaughn

Old August 31st 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave S

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Anthony W" wrote in message
newsvFJg.9187$4O4.1052@trnddc02...

That glider pilot was one lucky SOB...

No, lucky is when the bizjet misses you.

Vaughn

How about we just say "He Won The Lottery"

Dave
Old September 1st 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message

I know two others that bailed - both under 5,000 AGL.
Interestingly, neither of the other two were in midairs.

I know of another who bailed in the pattern with no ill effects. The
incentive was a fire in a motorglider.

Vaughn

Old September 1st 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Don W

Vaughn Simon wrote:
I know two others that bailed - both under 5,000 AGL.
Interestingly, neither of the other two were in midairs.

I know of another who bailed in the pattern with no ill effects. The
incentive was a fire in a motorglider.

Yes, I've heard that under a certain altitude you
don't _have_ to count to three before pulling the
handle ;-)

Don W.

Old September 1st 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message

I know two others that bailed - both under 5,000 AGL.
Interestingly, neither of the other two were in midairs.

I know of another who bailed in the pattern with no ill effects. The
incentive was a fire in a motorglider.

Vaughn

That's a really good example of why the parachute should be attached to the
personnel, rather than the aircraft.

Peter

Old September 1st 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Peter Dohm wrote:
"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message
"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
I know two others that bailed - both under 5,000 AGL.
Interestingly, neither of the other two were in midairs.

I know of another who bailed in the pattern with no ill effects. The
incentive was a fire in a motorglider.

Vaughn

That's a really good example of why the parachute should be attached to the
personnel, rather than the aircraft.

Peter

For sale: one parachute, used only once, never opened, slightly stained.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired