IFR Cancellation Question

Old December 27th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default IFR Cancellation Question

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message
et...

Perhaps you should use your connections and ask that very same
question to San Carlos Tower (KSQL), as they have pilots coming in
exactly like this, and they *ARE* a Class D airport.

No need to, I already know the answer. What makes you think NORCAL approach
makes a phone call to San Carlos tower to coordinate VFR arrivals?

In fact, it isn't only the TRACON that is doing this, KSFO
Tower does this as well. Constantly and Consistently, the following
is given to pilots:

"N123CM, leaving Class Bravo airspace to the south, radar services
terminated, maintain your present beacon code, contact San Carlos
Tower, 119.0."

That instruction tells you that San Francisco tower makes a phone call to
San Carlos tower to coordinate VFR arrivals?

Want proof of it, hit up the KSFO Tower feed at LiveATC.

Interfacility phone calls are on LiveATC?

Now, I haven't visited KSQL so I don't know if they have BRITE, but from
my
tour of NCT, controllers there told us that it is done so the tower
knows who is who as they drop below the Class B floor.

What would be the point in telling aircraft to maintain their present beacon
code if SQL tower had no radar?

For some they do
call the tower to let them know who is coming in (pending how the
traffic load is), some they don't. But it is a standard practice
happening at one of the busiest centralized TRACONs in the airspace.

More likely a misunderstanding on your part.

Old December 27th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

I'll try to lay it out for you.

Appreciate it.

Allen said:

Just like Mark said, pilot is in communication with ATC.

I have been in HKS airspace many a times without talking to tower while
manuevering around downtown Jackson at 2000 feet. I have always been in
contact with JAN during these times and never switched over to HKS.

to which you said:

We're not talking about those kinds of flights. We're talking about a
flight that intends to land at a towered field at the center of Class D
airspace

Doesn't that mean that you believe flights intending to land at the Class
D airport must be in communication with the tower before entering the
Class D airspace, while through-flights do not?

That's correct. The radar controller can coordinate flights through Class D
airspace with the tower but flights that are landing at the towered field
must be shipped to the tower prior to entering Class D airspace. See FAAO
7110.65 paragraphs 2-1-16.b. and c. below. If you're landing and you're
still on flight following when you cross the Class D boundary it's probably
because the radar controller forgot about you, but his error does not
absolve you of compliance with FAR 91.129(c)(1). Compliance with applicable
FARs is your responsibility.

FAA Order 7110.65R Air Traffic Control

Chapter 2. General Control

Section 1. General

2-1-16. SURFACE AREAS

a. Coordinate with the appropriate nonapproach control tower on an
individual aircraft basis before issuing a clearance which would require
flight within a surface area for which the tower has responsibility unless
otherwise specified in a letter of agreement.

REFERENCE-
FAAO 7210.3, Letters of Agreement, Para 4-3-1.
14 CFR Section 91.127, Operating on or in the Vicinity of an Airport in
Class E Airspace.
P/CG Term- Surface Area.

b. Coordinate with the appropriate control tower for transit authorization
when you are providing radar traffic advisory service to an aircraft that
will enter another facility's airspace.

NOTE-
The pilot is not expected to obtain his/her own authorization through each
area when in contact with a radar facility.

c. Transfer communications to the appropriate facility, if required, prior
to operation within a surface area for which the tower has responsibility.

REFERENCE-
FAAO 7110.65, Radio Communications Transfer, Para 2-1-17.
FAAO 7110.65, Surface Area Restrictions, Para 3-1-11.
FAAO 7110.65, Application, Para 7-6-1.
14 CFR Section 91.129, Operations in Class D Airspace.

What does VFR operations have to do with it? This is not a distinction
made by the regulations (if I'm wrong, please cite the reg).

You're wrong, I'll cite the regulation for you again:

§ 91.129 Operations in Class D airspace.

(c) Communications. Each person operating an aircraft in Class D airspace
must meet the following two-way radio communications requirements:

(1) Arrival or through flight. Each person must establish two-way radio
communications with the ATC facility (including foreign ATC in the case of
foreign airspace designated in the United States) providing air traffic
services prior to entering that airspace and thereafter maintain those
communications while within that airspace.

The regulation requires two-way radio communications to be established with
*the* ATC facility providing air traffic services prior to entering that
airspace. It's specific, it doesn't say *an* ATC facility providing
services. As you interpret the regulation, establishing radio
communications with ARR tower would authorize entry into the JVL Class D
airspace.

Old December 27th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

k.net...

On 12/18/06 18:21, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

What do you mean "how is it done?" The pilot is in communication
with ATC, the reg says the pilot must be in communication with
ATC.

Communication with any ATC facility satisfies the requirements of the
reg?
Doesn't the reg specify communication with the ATC facility providing
air
traffic services in that airspace?

Yes.

Which question are you answering?

You never answered that question. Are you dodging it?

Old December 27th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

What does VFR operations have to do with it? This is not a distinction
made by the regulations (if I'm wrong, please cite the reg).

You're wrong, I'll cite the regulation for you again:

§ 91.129 Operations in Class D airspace.
[snip]
The regulation requires two-way radio communications to be established with
*the* ATC facility providing air traffic services prior to entering that
airspace. It's specific, it doesn't say *an* ATC facility providing
services.

Nothing there says anything about IFR or VFR. As for =the= ATC
facility, there is no distinction in the regs that pilots are presumed
to be familiar with for through flights vs terminating flights.

I see your point:
The radar controller can coordinate flights through Class D
airspace with the tower but flights that are landing at the towered field
must be shipped to the tower prior to entering Class D airspace.

After all, the tower's specific authority is over the runways, not over
over the runways, and this would require communication with the actual
tower if one is landing there. But 91.129 says "with the ATC facility
([...]) providing air traffic services", and this doesn't (as you state
above) require it to be the tower, if there is some letter of agreement
that some other ATC facility will provide the services. Pilots are not
expected to be aware of all the letters of agreement, are they?

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 27th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

to which you said:

We're not talking about those kinds of flights. We're talking about a
flight that intends to land at a towered field at the center of Class D
airspace

Doesn't that mean that you believe flights intending to land at the Class
D airport must be in communication with the tower before entering the
Class D airspace, while through-flights do not?

That's correct. The radar controller can coordinate flights through Class D
airspace with the tower but flights that are landing at the towered field
must be shipped to the tower prior to entering Class D airspace. See FAAO
7110.65 paragraphs 2-1-16.b. and c. below.

Pilots don't operate under 7110.65. We use Part 91. Show me where, under
Part 91, it says that intending to land at a Class D airport requires
communication with the Class D tower before entering Class D airspace.

If you're landing and you're
still on flight following when you cross the Class D boundary it's probably
because the radar controller forgot about you, but his error does not
absolve you of compliance with FAR 91.129(c)(1).

In this case, 91.129(c)(1) has been fully complied with.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You just keep
regurgitating the same FAR.

Old December 27th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 12/27/06 11:38, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
On 12/18/06 18:21, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

What do you mean "how is it done?" The pilot is in communication
with ATC, the reg says the pilot must be in communication with
ATC.

Communication with any ATC facility satisfies the requirements of the
reg?
Doesn't the reg specify communication with the ATC facility providing
air
traffic services in that airspace?

Yes.

Which question are you answering?

You never answered that question. Are you dodging it?

It seemed pointless to continue trying, so I stopped.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old December 27th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..

Nothing there says anything about IFR or VFR. As for =the= ATC facility,
there is no distinction in the regs that pilots are presumed to be
familiar with for through flights vs terminating flights.

I agree the regs are rather poorly written. If you can think of some
services provided inside the Class D airspace to VFR arrivals by the radar
controller I'll agree there is no distinction in the regs between the tower
and radar controller.

I see your point:
The radar controller can coordinate flights through Class D airspace with
the tower but flights that are landing at the towered field must be
shipped to the tower prior to entering Class D airspace.

After all, the tower's specific authority is over the runways, not over
over the runways, and this would require communication with the actual
tower if one is landing there. But 91.129 says "with the ATC facility
([...]) providing air traffic services", and this doesn't (as you state
above) require it to be the tower, if there is some letter of agreement
that some other ATC facility will provide the services. Pilots are not
expected to be aware of all the letters of agreement, are they?

I'm not familiar with any letters of agreement like that. Can you provide
an example? What services would be provided to VFR arrivals inside the
Class D airspace by the radar controller at the overlying facility?

Old December 27th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

Pilots don't operate under 7110.65. We use Part 91. Show me where, under
Part 91, it says that intending to land at a Class D airport requires
communication with the Class D tower before entering Class D airspace.

I have, three times now.

In this case, 91.129(c)(1) has been fully complied with.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You just keep
regurgitating the same FAR.

And you keep misinterpreting it.

Old December 27th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

It seemed pointless to continue trying, so I stopped.

The point in asking the question was to help you understand the regulation.

Old December 27th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 12/27/06 14:15, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

It seemed pointless to continue trying, so I stopped.

The point in asking the question was to help you understand the regulation.

Okay. Thanks for the help.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM