Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

Old January 4th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Sam Spade

Default Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

Mxsmanic wrote:

I fly a mixture of VFR and IFR on the Baron, and mostly IFR on the
737. I also use VATSIM, the leading virtual flight network, so that I
can interact with other human pilots and controllers by radio, rather
than just interact with the computer-generated stuff provided by MSFS
when it is in offline mode.

All in all, the realism is striking, and much better than some
detractors like to believe.

I don't think you understand the aerodynamics of the real world. MSFS
has great scenery but the aircraft and the atmosphere modeling are
terribly wrong in MSFS.
Old January 4th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old January 4th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

On 01/04/07 05:10, Sam Spade wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

I fly a mixture of VFR and IFR on the Baron, and mostly IFR on the
737. I also use VATSIM, the leading virtual flight network, so that I
can interact with other human pilots and controllers by radio, rather
than just interact with the computer-generated stuff provided by MSFS
when it is in offline mode.

All in all, the realism is striking, and much better than some
detractors like to believe.

I don't think you understand the aerodynamics of the real world. MSFS
has great scenery but the aircraft and the atmosphere modeling are
terribly wrong in MSFS.

But of course, the marketing literature for the simulator product and
it's add-ons claim that it is realistic, so the simulator must be
correct. If there are perceived differences, it must be that the real
pilots aren't interpreting reality correctly.

;-\
Old January 4th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Sam Spade

Mark Hansen wrote:

But of course, the marketing literature for the simulator product and
it's add-ons claim that it is realistic, so the simulator must be
correct. If there are perceived differences, it must be that the real
pilots aren't interpreting reality correctly.

;-\

Got it! It was like being beaten up by company destructors in the
simulator every six months. Then, flying the first line trip
afterwards, with a glazed look on one's face, saying, "Darn, this stupid
airplane isn't flying like the simulator."
Old January 4th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

On 01/04/07 08:39, Sam Spade wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:

But of course, the marketing literature for the simulator product and
it's add-ons claim that it is realistic, so the simulator must be
correct. If there are perceived differences, it must be that the real
pilots aren't interpreting reality correctly.

;-\

Got it! It was like being beaten up by company destructors in the
simulator every six months. Then, flying the first line trip
afterwards, with a glazed look on one's face, saying, "Darn, this stupid
airplane isn't flying like the simulator."

That's right - send the airplane back, as it's obviously not working
properly! ;-)
Old January 4th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
bdl

Mxsmanic wrote:

All in all, the realism is striking, and much better than some
detractors like to believe.

The realism is very striking. That doesn't make it REAL, however. By
definition.

Old January 4th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
bdl

Mxsmanic wrote:
I have a really hard time just understanding what they are saying
sometimes. I don't know how pilots and controllers manage to
understand each other without making mistakes. Unfortunately, the
same problem exists with virtual flight networks like VATSIM (but for
different reasons).

If you were in "real" IMC it's even worse (at least until you develop
some practice and learn to keep the picture in your head). Always
seems like ATC is telling you to do something just as you are in the
middle of something else.

Brian

Old January 4th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Sam Spade

bdl wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

All in all, the realism is striking, and much better than some
detractors like to believe.

The realism is very striking. That doesn't make it REAL, however. By
definition.

The topography is striking. The realizm is zip.
Old January 4th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
bdl

Mxsmanic wrote:
Anyway, the FMC normally controls lateral and vertical navigation and
the throttle, and optimizes all in order to attain its preprogrammed
path, altitude, and speed.

Is the FMC flying or are you? I'm not an airline pilot, so I'll go
ahead and ask the question (please real world answers only) is the FMC
the boss or is the pilot? If the FMC says optimal is such and such,
but ATC says do this, doesn't the airline pilot do what ATC says? I
always assumed that a FMS in a modern airliner was just a souped up
version of my Garmin 430. I.e. it has a plan, but what I get is ALWAYS
different. Even when I try to "guess" ahead of time.

In the world of simulation, we rarely have heavy traffic, so I only
occasionally get speed restrictions. They are not too hard to
respect, usually--just setting a different speed in the FMC is often
sufficient.

Yet another difference between your simulated world and the real world,
huh? Does the lack of heavy traffic make you a better simulated pilot?

Probably, but it seems so easy to misunderstand that I should think it
would be very mistake prone. I read back almost every instruction I
get to ATC just to make sure that I've understood it.

Two words, "Say again"

If you want to get a glimpse into real world ATC, take a look at Don
Brown's columns at Avweb
(http://www.avweb.com/news/sayagain/193881-1.html)

Old January 4th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
bdl

Sam Spade wrote:
bdl wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

All in all, the realism is striking, and much better than some
detractors like to believe.

The realism is very striking. That doesn't make it REAL, however. By
definition.

The topography is striking. The realizm is zip.

And the topography wasn't that striking till they fixed the bridges...