Minden midair Hawker now up for bid

Old February 15th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Minden midair Hawker now up for bid

Just FYI, USAIG has placed the Hawker 800 bizjet involved in last
year's midair collision up for bid. The web page for the salvage
auction contains new photos of the damage, but they don't show
anything you wouldn't expect:

http://www.usau.com/USAU.nsf/Doc/1998Hawker800XP,N879QS

Except maybe, it does seem a bit odd to me that they still haven't
extracted the Schleicher wing spar from the nose. But, eh, what do I
know?

Thanks, Bob K.

Old February 15th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Feb 15, 12:03 pm, "Bob Kuykendall" wrote:
Just FYI, USAIG has placed the Hawker 800 bizjet involved in last
year's midair collision up for bid. The web page for the salvage
auction contains new photos of the damage, but they don't show
anything you wouldn't expect:

http://www.usau.com/USAU.nsf/Doc/1998Hawker800XP,N879QS

Except maybe, it does seem a bit odd to me that they still haven't
extracted the Schleicher wing spar from the nose. But, eh, what do I
know?

Thanks, Bob K.

That's the 'as is, where is' bit.

Frank

Old February 15th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris

http://www.usau.com/USAU.nsf/Doc/1998Hawker800XP,N879QS

From previous images I do not recall seeing damage except to the nose/

cockpit from impact and the belly damage from the gear up landing.

Does anyone know if the damages to the right wing root, the
horizontal, and nacelle are from the midair, or from later damage at
landing? [or recovery]

I suppose the damage to the horizontal could easily have happened with
nose parts going back. The wing root damage looks like more extensive
damage than I understood from the glider impact.

any guesses?

Chris

Old February 15th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 15, 12:00 pm, "chris" wrote:
I suppose the damage to the horizontal could easily have happened with
nose parts going back. The wing root damage looks like more extensive
damage than I understood from the glider impact.

any guesses?

This picture taken on the runway at Carson City clearly shows the
damage to the right side wing root, so it was definitely not recovery-
induced:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/misc/14nx6a.jpg

However, I don't know whether that damage occurred in the collision or
in the gear-up landing that followed. But I would say that it is
consistent with collision with the sailplane.

Based on the features of the wing spar portion still protruding from
the nose below the port windshield, I'd say that that's the portion of
the spar just inboard of the planform break where the outboard wing
panel attaches:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/misc/11dy6a.jpg

The fifth panel from the top in this image from the Alexander-
Schleicher web site shows the longitudinal pin in that spanwise area:

http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/p...g29_leiste.jpg

This frontal photo of the Hawker suggest a line of damage from lower
(viewer's) left to upper right, which I think is consistent with a
sailplane turning left and struck head-on, or turning right and struck
from behind:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/misc/dscf0034vm0a.jpg

This conjecture is supported by damage to the hawker's starboard wing
and port horizontal stabilizer.

Based on that, my guess is that the fuselage of the glider (most of
it, at least) passed below the Hawker's starboard wing. Further, I
would speculate that the damage just forward of the port windshield is
heavier than that done further starboard due to the greater mass
concentration of the glider's outboard wing panel attachment structure
and mechanism.

Here's the NTSB synopsis of the accident:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...06X01297&key=1

It pretty much supports my speculation.

Thanks, Bob K.

Old February 15th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

I find it interesting that the approach plates are still in the
cockpit on the right yoke. I suppose the crew was just happy to get
out of the airplane after a safe landing and didn't much care for
trivialities like gathering up paperwork.

I was also surprise at the amount of other damage to the right wing,
the left horizontal stabilizer and the right engine cowling.

Looks like they finally got the gear down.

- John

Old February 15th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It looks like part of the Schleicher's spar is still embedded in the
Hawker's nose. Now for all you lawyers out there, do purchasers of
the Hawker wreckage have rights to Schleicher parts embedded therein?

Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo! Larry Dighera Soaring 72 September 6th 06 02:03 PM
Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo! Darkwing Piloting 151 September 5th 06 05:19 PM
Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo! Larry Dighera Soaring 5 September 1st 06 07:20 PM
Midair near Minden Fred Soaring 52 September 1st 06 11:41 AM
Midair near Minden Jim Culp Soaring 0 August 29th 06 05:52 PM