Gliderport below IFR arrival route into Newark?

Old May 3rd 13, 11:50 AM
Helge_Zembold Helge_Zembold is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ingolstadt, Germany
Default Gliderport below IFR arrival route into Newark?

Hi everyone,

apporaching Newark (KEWR) yesterday on the FLOSI2-arrival, I noticed an airfield with at least ten gliders aligned close to the runway just in the vicinity of point CRANK (N41°25.00'W074°23.33'), which we crossed in 6000 ft. Google maps did not help me much, I also could not find any suitable airfield in OLC. Which airfield did I see? Could be interesting to visit during a stopver...

Thanks for you help!

Helge
Old May 3rd 13, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Helge_Zembold wrote:
Hi everyone,

apporaching Newark (KEWR) yesterday on the FLOSI2-arrival, I noticed an
airfield with at least ten gliders aligned close to the runway just in
the vicinity of point CRANK (N41°25.00'W074°23.33'), which we crossed in
6000 ft. Google maps did not help me much, I also could not find any
suitable airfield in OLC. Which airfield did I see? Could be interesting
to visit during a stopver...

Thanks for you help!

Helge

Don't they give you airline guys VFR sectionals anymore??? :-)

Looks like you were looking at the Middleton airport and Valley Soaring
club.

Never flown there but sky vector and google work well

Pete
Old May 3rd 13, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

Yeah, the closest glider port to those coordinates is Randall....Valley
Soaring Club

If you are in Newark, other possibilities are Blairstown
Airport/Gliderport, (about an hour and a quarter drive)....Check OLC...#2
airfield!!

Also Wurtsboro, which is 7days a week operation, just beyond Randall

A bit further out is PGC, and VanSant...

Cookie

At 12:48 03 May 2013, Peter von Tresckow wrote:
Helge_Zembold wrote:
Hi everyone,

apporaching Newark (KEWR) yesterday on the FLOSI2-arrival, I noticed an
airfield with at least ten gliders aligned close to the runway just in
the vicinity of point CRANK (N41°25.00'W074°23.33'), which we crossed

in
6000 ft. Google maps did not help me much, I also could not find any
suitable airfield in OLC. Which airfield did I see? Could be

interesting
to visit during a stopver...

Thanks for you help!

Helge

Don't they give you airline guys VFR sectionals anymore??? :-)

Looks like you were looking at the Middleton airport and Valley Soaring
club.

Never flown there but sky vector and google work well

Pete

A little confusing up in Newark Gizmo Piloting 0 May 23rd 08 02:35 AM
Willis Gliderport Mike Schumann Soaring 2 January 15th 08 01:59 PM
FA~ending~NEWARK INTERNATIONAL 1928-1988~GREAT AIRPORTS~Book by Geof. Arend macandcompany Aviation Marketplace 1 October 21st 07 11:10 PM
Only at a gliderport SAM 303a Soaring 5 August 18th 06 02:53 PM
Delays getting into Newark International? Go VFR. Peter R. Instrument Flight Rules 2 December 24th 05 04:16 PM