General purpose cleaner/degreaser?

Old October 11th 04, 02:34 PM
Jim Burns

Default General purpose cleaner/degreaser?

What do you use on your plane's exterior as a general purpose spray
cleaner/degreaser for quick and easy cleaning of greasy finger prints and
oil drips, drops, and spots? I don't want to use anything that will hurt
the paint, aluminum, or rubber.

Thanks again,
Jim

---

Old October 11th 04, 03:58 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Jim Burns wrote:
: What do you use on your plane's exterior as a general purpose spray
: cleaner/degreaser for quick and easy cleaning of greasy finger prints and
: oil drips, drops, and spots? I don't want to use anything that will hurt
: the paint, aluminum, or rubber.

I have been using "wash all wax all" to clean fingerprints, black acid
rain stains, exhaust stains, etc. for a long time. It seems to work well.
I just got a bottle of the "flight jacket" cleaner but I haven't tried it
out; it is supposed to work very well.
On tough stains I use 100LL.
--
Aaron Coolidge

Old October 11th 04, 06:59 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Aaron Coolidge wrote:

Jim Burns wrote:
: What do you use on your plane's exterior as a general purpose spray
: cleaner/degreaser for quick and easy cleaning of greasy finger prints and
: oil drips, drops, and spots? I don't want to use anything that will hurt
: the paint, aluminum, or rubber.

I have been using "wash all wax all" to clean fingerprints, black acid
rain stains, exhaust stains, etc. for a long time. It seems to work well.
I just got a bottle of the "flight jacket" cleaner but I haven't tried it
out; it is supposed to work very well.
On tough stains I use 100LL.

For degreasing, I use a solution of CarbonX and water, in a spray
bottle. Unlike Simple Green or 409. it is Ph neutral and will not attack
aluminum. My AI put me onto this stuff.

I also sometimes use a little bit of mineral spirits on a paper towel to
wipe away ioly spots.
Old October 12th 04, 01:43 AM
Roy Page

I searched around and found TR1000 produced by Tomar Industries.
Specifically developed, according to Tomar, for cleaning aircraft engines
and greasy bellies.
I bought 2 gallons and price was real low, which they shipped ground.
They recommend dilution with water at 1:1.
Spray it on and leave no more that 3 or 4 minutes and wash all the grease
away.
Works really well but follow makers dilution and soak time.

Roy Page
Beloit OH 44609

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

Old October 12th 04, 02:41 AM
Michelle P

Jim,
De-Natured Alcohol or Naphtha. Naphtha will discolor the paint over time.
Michelle

Jim Burns wrote:

What do you use on your plane's exterior as a general purpose spray
cleaner/degreaser for quick and easy cleaning of greasy finger prints and
oil drips, drops, and spots? I don't want to use anything that will hurt
the paint, aluminum, or rubber.

Thanks again,
Jim

---

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old October 12th 04, 04:50 AM
Gerald Sylvester

I don't want to use anything that will hurt
the paint, aluminum, or rubber.

Mineral spirits.

mineral spirits will eat away at plastics and rubber. I can't
say it works but isopropyl alcohol works well at work where
materials and residue are quite sensitive (linear accelerators
with exotic materials and lots of radiation). If you don't
want a residue get high grade (90% plus) but you might
have to get that at a special store as it is considered
a HazMat.

Gerald
Old October 12th 04, 03:00 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Gerald Sylvester wrote:

If you don't
want a residue get high grade (90% plus) but you might
have to get that at a special store as it is considered
a HazMat.

http://www.medichest.com/isopropylalcohol.html

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 13th 04, 05:07 AM
Gerald Sylvester

http://www.medichest.com/isopropylalcohol.html

I didn't say it was expensive just considered a haz mat and technically
shouldn't be just dumped down the sewer. Just add lots of water to
dilute it or dispose of a rag properly as it is flamable.

Gerald
Old October 13th 04, 10:43 AM
Gerald Sylvester

I didn't say it was expensive just considered a haz mat and technically
shouldn't be just dumped down the sewer. Just add lots of water to
dilute it or dispose of a rag properly as it is flamable.

not sure if I answered myself but I've heard Fry's Electronics has it
too. For general aviation cleaning, the non-pure stuff is probably
fine. the non-ultra pure (90% or higher) leaves a fine residue.
In some cases, this residue can turn to glue.....note, these cases
are like with the equipment I work with that has tons of photon
and electron radiation that tends to cross-link most everything.
I'm not sure if that would affect aviation related parts (I'm thinking
pistons here but I can't confirm as I've never gotten that deep into an
aviation engine) but just want to cover my own hide.

Gerald