Flight Time - Student ;)

Old April 18th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Flight Time - Student ;)

Weather going to **** and I had to make the runway with winds blowing
40kts and cloud deck down to 200. what to do...WHAT TO DO.. and I
remembered my old USMC instructor telling me to just go inverted and
autorotate to get some altitude. Broke out on top, rolled right side
up and continued to an area where it was clear and unrestricted with
calm winds. Made a ho-humm landing and waited for more favorable
weather conditions at home base.
My question is can I log actual IFR?

Old April 18th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Thanks for the posting! I sure wish us Pilots who really want to
discuss helicopters would get back on this forum. The crazy guy
posting about Belford has just about ruined this group.

Anyone want to talk helicopters?

Old April 18th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

Anyone want to talk helicopters?

You bet. Contrary to popular belief, this really isn't the Belford forum.

Old April 18th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Don W

Count me in if we're going to talk rotor stuff.

I killfiled (filtered) the Belfort troll and don't
see anything he posts anymore.

Don W.

Old April 19th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

On Apr 19, 1:37 am, Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Weather going to **** and I had to make the runway with winds blowing
40kts and cloud deck down to 200. what to do...WHAT TO DO.. and I
remembered my old USMC instructor telling me to just go inverted and
autorotate to get some altitude. Broke out on top, rolled right side
up and continued to an area where it was clear and unrestricted with
calm winds. Made a ho-humm landing and waited for more favorable
weather conditions at home base.
My question is can I log actual IFR?

'Go inverted and autorotate to get some altitude' - hey OSAB, can you
explain that out in words a simpleton like me can understand?

Old April 19th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

"Don W" wrote in message
news
Count me in if we're going to talk rotor stuff.

I killfiled (filtered) the Belfort troll and don't see anything he posts
anymore.

I don't kill file anything, but I do delete it. There used to be some really
good discussions on here. What is your interest in rotorcraft?

Old April 19th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

'Go inverted and autorotate to get some altitude' - hey OSAB, can you
explain that out in words a simpleton like me can understand?

I was having a hard time picturing that one myself.

Old April 19th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Gary K

Now there's a maneuver that only a REAL helicopter pilot would attempt!
How's the new family doing?

Gary

Old April 19th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Don W

Maxwell wrote:
I don't kill file anything, but I do delete it. There used to be some really
good discussions on here. What is your interest in rotorcraft?

I'm a long time fixed winger (c 1973) who started
flying helicopters two years ago and loved it.

Except for the expensive hourly rate, I'd a lot
rather be flying a heli for sightseeing/pleasure
flights. Of course, the fixed wing wins when you
need to travel somewhere, or when the conditions
are IFR.

The problem I've got right now is that the closest
FBO with helicopters for rent is more than an
hours drive from my house. Also, as I've learned
more about the R22, I've become a skeptic about
its low-inertia rotor system.

Don W.