Phased array radars

Old May 21st 04, 08:14 PM
B2431

Default Phased array radars

I have seen phased array aircraft radars that look as if they still
mechanically sweep the dish. I thought the entire reason for phased arrays was
so they wouldn't need to mechanically move. I know how phased arrays work in
principle, but that's as far as I go. What am I missing here?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 22nd 04, 03:32 AM
Regnirps

On 21 May 2004 19:14:11 GMT, (B2431) wrote:

I have seen phased array aircraft radars that look as if they still
mechanically sweep the dish. I thought the entire reason for phased arrays was
so they wouldn't need to mechanically move. I know how phased arrays work in
principle, but that's as far as I go. What am I missing here?

The basic reason is that the apparent size (area) of the array goes down by the
cosine of the angle off center. That means resolution and the amount of
reflected energy it can "see" degrades unless you can point the plane of the
array at the object of interest. Uhm, cosine of 45 degrees is .707 (something
from high school about holding your arms like swept wings and thinking Boeing
707 : ) so that isn't too bad but by 60 degrees you have cut the apparent size
in half.

There is also today some rather advanced processing in small packages
(naturally) that used to be on big platforms and sats. The example that comes
to mind is "spotlighting", which uses synthetic aperture type processing and
tracks an object or ground target getting more information with each ping.
Ultimately, image reconstruction methods similar to tomography can be used to
build a picture of the target. In spotlighting the ground you can get a great
picture. If an air target stays on heading there can be a pretty good picture
of that too.

Anyway, for these to work well the plane of the array needs to be normal to the
target. I'm just amazed the darn things work so well, and when will I be able
to get one surplus?

-- Charlie Springer
Old May 22nd 04, 08:41 AM
The Enlightenment

"B2431" wrote in message
I have seen phased array aircraft radars that look as if they still
mechanically sweep the dish. I thought the entire reason for phased

arrays was
so they wouldn't need to mechanically move. I know how phased arrays

work in
principle, but that's as far as I go. What am I missing here?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Some phased arrays rotate but and are only phase steered in the
vertical for height finding purposes. For instance the antenna on
US AWACS aircraft use this technique, though the Israeli AWACS use
fixed antena inside the dome.

This technique goes back to the 2nd world war. (I think the German
radars Wassermann and Jagdschloss used it as did the radars for the
Soviet missiles SA1 and SA2)

Alternatively and cluster of 4 antena as seen on the USN Aegis system
can be used. There must be great difficulty in integrating the 4
antena to work together.

Having a phased array is pretty important these days. Modern fighter
tactics involve splitting in such a way that the enemy can not track
the multiple targets with a mechanical antenna anymore and using this
as an opportunity to attack.

Old May 22nd 04, 08:45 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
(B2431) wrote in
:

Uh,I don't believe weather radars are phased arrays. It would be
overkill,and an unnecessary expense.

http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display...2?in_archive=1

Keith

Old May 23rd 04, 12:18 AM
Jim Yanik

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
:

http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display...ca4e76e2d2?in_
archive=1

This article says that the phased array radar is NEW in this
application(weather radar),and was just introduced at a first site.

I may have ASSumed that he was referring to weather radar used by TV
stations and metrological stations,not airborne civilian aircraft
instrumentation.

Apologies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old May 23rd 04, 01:17 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
:

http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display...ca4e76e2d2?in_
archive=1

This article says that the phased array radar is NEW in this
application(weather radar),and was just introduced at a first site.

I may have ASSumed that he was referring to weather radar used by TV
stations and metrological stations,not airborne civilian aircraft
instrumentation.

Apologies.

Maybe eBay spelled it wrong, and it was an old, fazed radar sold by
somebody's buddy A. Ray, who used to be run a radar in an EC-121 or the
like? I tell ya, it's pitiful to see a hard-working radar, that didn't
plan for retirement, up on the auction block. Radars like that don't
believe in reality any more, just thinking life is nothing but
reflections.