Ground School Presentation Materials

Old January 14th 18, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

Default Ground School Presentation Materials

Hi All,

I am a fairly new CFI-G, just completed my second season teaching.
at a small but growing club. One area of opportunity we have for improvement is in preparing our students for the written and oral exams. To help with this I am thinking of running my first ground school.

I am looking for Ground School Presentation Materials. PowerPoint Slides and/or other electronic media I can use to produce PowerPoint presentations. I found some for Airplanes that could be purchased but not for Gliders.

This is a club environment, so Instructors and Tow Pilots don't get paid. I am willing to spend some money for materials, but free would be better as it will be coming out of my own pocket. Yes, I could pass on some of the cost to the students, but would prefer not too, if possible. In either case paid or free let me know what you recommend.

Thanks
Bill
Old January 14th 18, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF), the training and safety unit of the Soaring Society of America, has free videos and more at www.soaringsafety.org

I can also recommend Bob Wander's brilliant "Safer Soaring" booklet for a "Reader's Digest" style collection of his eloquent seminars and SSA Convention presentations. Short, to the point, from which you could develop training segments for students and experienced glider pilots alike.

The 10 topics include new concepts regarding airplane versus glider landing patterns, the surprising effects of a sinking airmass on high-performance sailplanes, towplane upsets due to glider "kiting" and much more.

Also consider Wander's "Learning To Fly Gliders" booklet, a concise syllabus for CFIG lesson plans, common student errors, etc. Typical Bob Wander writing excellence -- to the point, enjoyable to read for the CFIG, the student and for any pilot wanting a review.

For Towpilot initial training, initial endorsement and their 24 month re-endorsements per FAR 61.69, the only book written about towing gliders is "The Towpilot Manual."

Find all of these inexpensive booklets and many more at www.bobwander.com

Chat with Bob Wander at the SSA Convention in Reno, NV, FEB 28 - March 3, 2018.

Find me hosting the SSF Seminar on Wednesday, FEB 28 at 6 PM in the Atlantis Hotel ballroom and around the Soaring Safety Foundation booth in the SSA Convention hall.

Burt Compton
CFI, FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
Marfa Gliders, southwest Texas.
(Over 50 years in soaring and always learning -- Hey, I'm still just the kid on the airport!)
Old January 14th 18, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

I second all of Burt's excellent recommendations.

===

For written test preparation, I usually recommend the Pilot Prepware materials from A.S.A. (Aviation Supplies & Academics).

http://www.asa2fly.com/Pilot-Prepware-Software-C21.aspx

While targeted toward self-study, these materials could certainly be used in a ground school setting.

For audio/video effect, I highly recommend a DVD from Sporty's Pilot Shop entitled "So You Want to Fly Gliders" starring none other than, you guessed it, Bob Wander. This DVD has more glider-related flight/knowledge information packing into a tighter package than any resource I have ever experienced. I have owned it for years and still review it regularly. It is amazing..

===

For the Oral portion of the practical test, I use and recommend this technique:

Use the Private Pilot Glider Practical Test Standard (PTS) as the study guide and syllabus. As the ground school instructor, work with a glider DPE to develop representative questions for each Objective/Task with each Area of Operation. Document the source(s) of the answers to those questions. These sources then become the library of documents your students should acquire and take with them to the oral. In your ground school sessions, progressively work through the entire PTS, eating the elephant one bite (AoO, Task, Obj.) at a time.

As with any instructional endeavor, the first time through will be the most labor intensive. The results will be worth the effort. One of my students was actually contacted by his DPE after the practical test and told the DPE had never experienced an applicant better prepared for an oral.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
new ground school web app [email protected] Soaring 11 January 4th 16 05:17 PM
Commercial Glider Ground School Materials? tkgliderflight Soaring 1 December 7th 13 09:42 PM
Commercial Glider Ground School Materials? Morgan[_2_] Soaring 2 December 4th 13 07:51 PM
Ground Launch School KS Soaring 0 June 4th 13 02:00 PM
GGS ground school Bill Beckham Soaring 0 January 11th 05 11:57 PM