A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Lubricant for spar pins



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old January 8th 18, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 244
Default Lubricant for spar pins

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 9:10:39 PM UTC, Papa3 wrote:
On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 3:38:45 PM UTC-5, Kiwi User wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 09:41:57 -0800, kirk.stant wrote:



... the bucket hat?



Which my wife fondly refers to as Birth Control. "There's no way you're getting laid wearing that thing".


Now someone tells me!
Ads
  #32  
Old January 8th 18, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 185
Default Lubricant for spar pins

lol, My wife stole mine washed it and dyed it purple. It was getting pretty bad with several thousand hours on it Even the airport manager at Moriarty gave me a new one as he thought it needed to be thrown out!

CH
  #33  
Old January 9th 18, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 338
Default Lubricant for spar pins


Come on, the most important quality for main pin grease it that it leave a permanent circular stain on the thighs of your favorite flying pants/shorts - how else will other glider-guiders recognize you as one of the true believers at the field?

Even Pez D. Spencer knew that!


Ahhh, yes. The Schempp-Hirth sphincter kiss!

Thanks for the Pez reminder. Gotta check that out again.
  #34  
Old January 9th 18, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 664
Default Lubricant for spar pins

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 11:30:06 AM UTC-5, Jim White wrote:
At 14:13 08 January 2018, Papa3 wrote:
On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 7:30:07 AM UTC-5, Jim White wrote:
At 23:35 07 January 2018, john firth wrote:
Wot? nobody pushing good old WD 40?
Seriously, surely the meticulous glider pilot must treat load bearing
pins
=3D
Tell me why? I am presently using WD40 specialist spray grease. Very

slip=
py
and easy to apply.
=20
Jim


I think most folks view WD40 as the "traditional" water displacement
produc=
t in the blue can which is nothing like the WD40 Spray Grease you're
using.=
If anyone really wants to do the work, you can look at some of the key
t=
ests that should be published on the Technical Data Sheets for whatever
pro=
duct you use to see how it performs. Things like ASTM D2266 2596 etc.
def=
ine critical wear prevention properties. =20

P3


Datasheet says:

4-ball Wear Test 0.5 mm (ASTM D-4172) ,
Dropping Point Temperature 118°C (ASTM D566) ,
Corrosion Protection in salt spray test 0 % rust at 72h (ASTM B-117) ,
Temperature (Continuous) -20°C to +115°C as grease, then to +260°C as
liquid

Is that any good?

Jim


If you're going to land out on the beach, then you've only got 72 hours :-)

I haven't played with a test rig for this in over 30 years (college was a while ago), but the 4 ball wear test is for sliding and friction (putting the pins in and taking them out ). There's also a 4 ball welding test that shows how the grease holds up under extreme pressure (e.g. getting smushed by the loading of the wings under bending). The thing that's most obvious to us who fly all year from cold winters to very hot summers is the temperature stability. Looks like the WD40 Grease is probably good enough.

Before anyone complains - yeah this thread has probably gone past its useful life. My sense is that the first step is using SOMETHING religiously to protect against wear and corrosion. Something that's convenient to use and relatively clean probably means you'll be more likely to use it religiously.

  #35  
Old January 9th 18, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 58
Default Lubricant for spar pins

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:59:07 AM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 11:30:06 AM UTC-5, Jim White wrote:
At 14:13 08 January 2018, Papa3 wrote:
On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 7:30:07 AM UTC-5, Jim White wrote:
At 23:35 07 January 2018, john firth wrote:
Wot? nobody pushing good old WD 40?
Seriously, surely the meticulous glider pilot must treat load bearing
pins
=3D
Tell me why? I am presently using WD40 specialist spray grease. Very
slip=
py
and easy to apply.
=20
Jim

I think most folks view WD40 as the "traditional" water displacement
produc=
t in the blue can which is nothing like the WD40 Spray Grease you're
using.=
If anyone really wants to do the work, you can look at some of the key
t=
ests that should be published on the Technical Data Sheets for whatever
pro=
duct you use to see how it performs. Things like ASTM D2266 2596 etc..
def=
ine critical wear prevention properties. =20

P3


Datasheet says:

4-ball Wear Test 0.5 mm (ASTM D-4172) ,
Dropping Point Temperature 118°C (ASTM D566) ,
Corrosion Protection in salt spray test 0 % rust at 72h (ASTM B-117) ,
Temperature (Continuous) -20°C to +115°C as grease, then to +260°C as
liquid

Is that any good?

Jim


If you're going to land out on the beach, then you've only got 72 hours :-)

I haven't played with a test rig for this in over 30 years (college was a while ago), but the 4 ball wear test is for sliding and friction (putting the pins in and taking them out ). There's also a 4 ball welding test that shows how the grease holds up under extreme pressure (e.g. getting smushed by the loading of the wings under bending). The thing that's most obvious to us who fly all year from cold winters to very hot summers is the temperature stability. Looks like the WD40 Grease is probably good enough.

Before anyone complains - yeah this thread has probably gone past its useful life. My sense is that the first step is using SOMETHING religiously to protect against wear and corrosion. Something that's convenient to use and relatively clean probably means you'll be more likely to use it religiously.


It's not usually the spar pins that are critical for lubrication (short of making sure the pin will go in or out). It's the lift pins (fuselage pins that transfer the weight of the fuselage to the root ribs). These pins see small sliding motions under load every time the rudder is engaged. The first course of action is to make sure the shims between the root rib and fuselage bosses minimize any movement although it's impossible to completely eliminate movement and still get the glider assembled. These pins are usually steel on steel with the steel dowel engaging a self aligning ball type socket. I've replaced pins that have shown significant wear so this is a real phenomenon although probably more pronounced on heavier gliders with longer wings. Use a good quality grease that protects against corrosion and provides low friction under high bearing loads.

Cheers,
Craig 7Q
  #36  
Old January 9th 18, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 172
Default Lubricant for spar pins

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 8:44:13 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Did a search of RAS and all the threads were quite old, so I thought I would ask what lubricant do you use when assembling your glider? I have noticed that the lube that comes with Schleicher gliders seems to have more friction and lube. Of course there is the old standby of white lithium, but any new ideas?


Super Lube for the pins, Tri-flo for everything else.. Lithium grease becomes lithium glue after a while...
  #37  
Old January 10th 18, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 315
Default Lubricant for spar pins

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 11:44:13 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Did a search of RAS and all the threads were quite old, so I thought I would ask what lubricant do you use when assembling your glider? I have noticed that the lube that comes with Schleicher gliders seems to have more friction and lube. Of course there is the old standby of white lithium, but any new ideas?



i know a very well respected pilot with a good reputation for maintenance who uses plain old vaseline. both because it works, and because it washes out of clothes. no more grease rings on your thigh.
  #38  
Old January 10th 18, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 244
Default Lubricant for spar pins

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 2:19:51 PM UTC, ND wrote:
On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 11:44:13 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Did a search of RAS and all the threads were quite old, so I thought I would ask what lubricant do you use when assembling your glider? I have noticed that the lube that comes with Schleicher gliders seems to have more friction and lube. Of course there is the old standby of white lithium, but any new ideas?



i know a very well respected pilot with a good reputation for maintenance who uses plain old vaseline. both because it works, and because it washes out of clothes. no more grease rings on your thigh.


Be secure in your machismo - use a rigging apron!
  #39  
Old January 10th 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 442
Default Lubricant for spar pins

Putting on and then removing a rigging apron takes valuable time, time that you might not be able to afford in a high-speed relight from an early off-field landing in a competition.

Wait...those aren't allowed anymore. Living in the past. How many on this group recall those "exciting" dashes back to the contest, throwing the glider together as fast as possible, and relaunching, hoping to do better the second time? The rapid assembly was sometimes made easier by taking some shortcuts in the derigging process at the landout site. We once hauled our 1-26 back without installing the spar hold down bolts on the trailer by parking someone in the back of the station wagon to to make sure the wings didn't slide off the trailer during the 10 mile drive back to the contest site. A long time ago.

Chip Bearden
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LS1 F glider - question on spar pins [email protected] Soaring 2 April 29th 13 11:45 AM
Alignment tool for spar pins soartech[_2_] Soaring 5 September 6th 12 05:39 PM
ASW-15B spar pins [email protected] Soaring 1 May 9th 06 12:46 AM
"Duke" will receive lubricant funds during prison stay! Vox Populi Naval Aviation 1 December 11th 05 02:02 PM
Best lubricant for Mechanical Tachometer Cable??? RonLee Home Built 3 January 4th 05 12:04 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.