A sad day for all Australians

Old December 3rd 10, 07:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_4_]

Default A sad day for all Australians

The final flight of the F-111 took place today.
Old December 3rd 10, 08:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
coffelt2

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
ond.com...
The final flight of the F-111 took place today.

Holy Cow! Went to the first F-111 maintainer's school over 50 years ago. (it
hadn't flown yet) Some of the original design features didn't make the cut,
I guess. (the wing ordinance hard points that rotated in conjunction with
wing sweep.. I don't think made it into production) Never even got close to
one after that except at air shows.

Old Chief Lynn

Old December 3rd 10, 09:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
flybywire

ah no
do we have pics

cheers

mike

and we wont mention cricket

Old December 3rd 10, 10:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

"flybywire" wrote in message
ah no
do we have pics

cheers

mike

Well, someone apart from me added this image to my website today

http://www.warbirdz.net/largepic.php?ID=20382

Old December 3rd 10, 01:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_4_]

On 3/12/2010 9:10 PM, Glenn wrote:

"flybywire" wrote in message
ah no
do we have pics

cheers

mike

Well, someone apart from me added this image to my website today

http://www.warbirdz.net/largepic.php?ID=20382

It looks like it came from the news vid that I saw. They showed the
very last (ever!!) dump-and-burn. Sad to see such a beautiful aircraft go.
Old December 3rd 10, 02:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

coffelt2 wrote:
"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
ond.com...
The final flight of the F-111 took place today.

Holy Cow! Went to the first F-111 maintainer's school over 50 years
ago. (it hadn't flown yet)

No, it hadn't, and it wouldn't fly for more than four more years. Hard to
believe "the first F-111 maintainer's school" was conducted over 50 years
ago.

Some of the original design features
didn't make the cut, I guess. (the wing ordinance hard points that
rotated in conjunction with wing sweep.. I don't think made it into
production)

They did.

Old December 4th 10, 03:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
coffelt2

Holy Cow! Went to the first F-111 maintainer's school over 50 years
ago. (it hadn't flown yet)

No, it hadn't, and it wouldn't fly for more than four more years. Hard to
believe "the first F-111 maintainer's school" was conducted over 50 years
ago.

Yup, our unit at Edwards AFB was supposed to get one or two of the
first three off the line for flight testing. Maintenance familiarization
classes were held at Air Force Plant # 4, Ft. Worth, where General Dynamics
was still in pre-production stages.

When I left Edwards AFB about a year after the classes, there were
still no F-111's there for tests.

I think the engraved cigarette lighter General Dynamics gave us at the
school is still buried somewhere on my "work" bench.

Old Chief Lynn

Old December 4th 10, 09:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 00:13:22 -0800, "coffelt2"
wrote:

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
pond.com...
The final flight of the F-111 took place today.

Holy Cow! Went to the first F-111 maintainer's school over 50 years ago. (it
hadn't flown yet) Some of the original design features didn't make the cut,
I guess. (the wing ordinance hard points that rotated in conjunction with
wing sweep.. I don't think made it into production) Never even got close to
one after that except at air shows.

Old Chief Lynn

Looks like the pylon sweep thing worked...

Also photos of the rare AWACSvark, and the little-known economy model
intended for air forces on a budget...

Bob ^,,^

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-111F_366FW.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	45714  Click image for larger version

Name:	EF-111A_66-049_366Wg_390ECS_MtHome_93.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	45715  Click image for larger version

Name:	MtHome_6-91_A.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	45716
Old December 4th 10, 09:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 21:10:15 +1100, "Glenn"
wrote:

"flybywire" wrote in message
ah no
do we have pics

cheers

mike

Well, someone apart from me added this image to my website today

http://www.warbirdz.net/largepic.php?ID=20382

Sad.

And those look like Oz' new Super Bugs chasing them off?
Old December 4th 10, 07:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
D. St-Sanvain

Hello,

wrote:

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
ond.com...
The final flight of the F-111 took place today.

Holy Cow! Went to the first F-111 maintainer's school over 50 years ago. (it
hadn't flown yet) Some of the original design features didn't make the cut,
I guess. (the wing ordinance hard points that rotated in conjunction with
wing sweep.. I don't think made it into production) Never even got close to
one after that except at air shows.

Old Chief Lynn

Looks like the pylon sweep thing worked...

It is on the F-111 that all hard points rotate, but the exterior one ?

--
D520
Light aviation : http://tagazous.free.fr