Unknown Wright "Flyer" has come to our attention can you help?

Old December 20th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.restoration
BOTMAN

Default Unknown Wright "Flyer" has come to our attention can you help?

We have come across an original wright " flyer" ID plate that says
Type "D" Number "1". We don't believe it is from the later (Model D)
types (two of them) given to the Army as SC 19 and SC 20. We have
found one paragraph where a military official Arnold was talking to
Orville about a plane plane he refers to as a WrightD had great
difficulty in meeting the tests apparently because of structural
defects and underpowered engine. Arnold told Orville the Signal corp
needed to purchase the light scout airplane (Model D). which he wanted
the Army signal corp to purchase from Orville. So the Scouts are not
the same as the flyer WrightD and we don't know if our plate is from
the WrightD or another D. We can not find much info on this model
anywhere in our research.We can email you a copy of the plate if you
wish if you think it might help. Thanks. Botman.
Old December 20th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.restoration
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:19:39 -0800 (PST), BOTMAN
wrote:

We have come across an original wright " flyer" ID plate that says
Type "D" Number "1". We don't believe it is from the later (Model D)
types (two of them) given to the Army as SC 19 and SC 20. We have
found one paragraph where a military official Arnold was talking to
Orville about a plane plane he refers to as a WrightD had great
difficulty in meeting the tests apparently because of structural
defects and underpowered engine. Arnold told Orville the Signal corp
needed to purchase the light scout airplane (Model D). which he wanted
the Army signal corp to purchase from Orville. So the Scouts are not
the same as the flyer WrightD and we don't know if our plate is from
the WrightD or another D. We can not find much info on this model
anywhere in our research.We can email you a copy of the plate if you
wish if you think it might help. Thanks. Botman.

wouldnt be from the first fatal prang by any chance?
serious question btw.
I dont think the demonstrator had been handed over at that time so
wouldnt have been in the later series. I think it was a model D.
Stealth Pilot

Wright flyer replica Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 1 August 8th 07 08:37 PM
Wright Flyer Big John Piloting 13 October 26th 03 02:25 AM
Wright Flyer won't fly! Trent Moorehead Piloting 31 October 18th 03 04:37 PM
Wright Flyer Dave Hyde Home Built 9 September 29th 03 05:20 PM