Cobra Trailer Bearings

Old July 11th 18, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Cobra Trailer Bearings

Great.
Be mindful of axle nut torque values. Too tight or too loose can waste a bearing very quickly. A spec sheet with the bearing, or online, can show the correct torque value.
Banging it on with an impact wrench is not correct.
Old July 11th 18, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Below from the Cobra manual, p9:
Jim

https://www.cobratrailer.com/wp-cont...ns_30-4-14.pdf

5.3.4 ALKO EURO Axles are equipped with maintanance free compact bearings

If necessary, adjust the axial play of the wheel bearing
- Remove the decoration and the wheel-hub cap.
- Remove the split-pin from the castellated wheel nut.
- Tighten the nut while spinning the wheel until a resistance is felt. If possible use a torque wrench
(50 Nm).
- Turn the castellated nut 1/12 of a turn (30°, see diagram 1) then turn back to the next pin
alignment position.
Axial play to 0.05 mm is acceptable.

Overtightening will cause bearing damage
- Check grease for quantity and condition, top-off or renew, if necessary
- Grease type for wheel bearings: Multi-purpose grease DIN 51825 KTA3K
- Replace wheel hub caps
Old July 12th 18, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 8:51:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I screwed up big time and burned the bearings on both wheels by leaving the brake on (I know, I'm getting forgetful). Wings and Wheels is out of the ALCO 1637 bearing sets and will not get any until mid August. Does anyone have two of these bearing sets? I need them early next week so that I can go to Mackay,ID for some of the best soaring ever.

If anyone can help me out, please contact me at .

Stu Larimore
2Z
208-724-0587

A bit of a warning from experience(of others I've observed or helped).
If things got hot enough to wreck the bearings you need to be concerned about the drums. They can become very brittle when they get overheated.
Any discoloration is a clue.
Also, if the spindles show discoloration they need to be replaced.
UH
Old July 12th 18, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Echoing UH's warning, the drum can crack in the thick area where the bearings are inserted. Don't know what caused the one we found but I suspect heating it up to higher than normal temps doesn't help. Eventually the grease all leaked out and the bearings died...a half day's drive from home, of course...on a Sunday.

BTW, I've had more difficulty getting the grease seals for older trailers than the bearings.

Chip Bearden
Old July 12th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 8:51:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I screwed up big time and burned the bearings on both wheels by leaving the brake on (I know, I'm getting forgetful). Wings and Wheels is out of the ALCO 1637 bearing sets and will not get any until mid August. Does anyone have two of these bearing sets? I need them early next week so that I can go to Mackay,ID for some of the best soaring ever.

If anyone can help me out, please contact me at .

Stu Larimore
2Z
208-724-0587

A word of warning----Experience from a 2000 Cobra with a new '27B in it, and a Cobra with a DG800B in it. The 4 Bolt hub for the '27, and the 5 Bolt hub for the DG have different size bearings. They are sealed, double row bearings, used in front wheel drive small car front wheels. They must be pressed out with an "industrial" grade press.
The instructions as posted by JS are totally wrong (I have a different Cobra manual) and are not applicable to these straight cylindrical bearings. The instructions apply to the classic tapered roller bearings as found on most trailers. For these straight cylindrical bearings, a flange nut is used and tightened to 225 ftlb of torque. Loctite is recommended. A half-inch drive socket, Breaker bar, and 4 ft cheater is needed to remove the nut, especially if Loctite has been used.
The bearing size is laser engraved on the bearing and a NAPA or good auto machine shop can cross reference.
I keep a spare set of bearings in my trailer, and one drum with new bearing also.
Old July 12th 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

This is half comment and half question.

I wanted to pick up some brake shoes for my Cobra trailer (circa 2002) for the AL-KO axle assembly. I crawled underneath to look at the back side of the backing plate and found "Typ 2051" (pictures at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/asw27/documents/Trailer). This 2051 number seems to align with these Taunton brake parts (https://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/af...set-1406-p.asp.

So now to my question: Can I, should I, assume that the "Typ 2051" also applies to the correct bearings needed for this axle?

Thanks, John OHM Ω
Old July 12th 18, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 8:51:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I screwed up big time and burned the bearings on both wheels by leaving the brake on (I know, I'm getting forgetful). Wings and Wheels is out of the ALCO 1637 bearing sets and will not get any until mid August. Does anyone have two of these bearing sets? I need them early next week so that I can go to Mackay,ID for some of the best soaring ever.

If anyone can help me out, please contact me at .

Stu Larimore
2Z
208-724-0587

Looks right! Bearing dimensions are correct for my current 2007 Cobra 5-Bolt with DG808C in it.
The dimensions Mitch posted are for the 4-Bolt drum.

Ask AL-KO?

Cobra wheel bearings Wade G Soaring 3 February 20th 17 02:16 PM
PIK 20 Trailer Bearings [email protected] Soaring 1 May 27th 16 09:58 PM
Sealed Cobra wheel bearings [email protected] Soaring 1 July 13th 15 05:23 AM
cobra wheel bearings and brakes [email protected] Soaring 4 August 13th 12 11:21 PM