Thunderbird crash in 72

Old July 12th 18, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
[email protected]

Default Thunderbird crash in 72

On Tuesday, September 21, 1993 at 10:44:00 PM UTC-4, Albert Dobyns wrote:
Way back in 1972 at Dulles Intl Airport, there was a huge show on what
future transportation might look like. They also had several airshow
performers including the Thunderbirds. Back then they were flying the
F-4. On the last day of the show, they were getting ready to do that
maneuver where they all pull up sharply and then after they have gained
a fair amount of altitude they pull over each going a different
direction. I'm sure there's a name for that stunt, I just don't
remember it. Anyway, one of the planes (I believe Mike Kerby was his
name) had a problem. The newspaper or some other report said that one
of his J-79s had a compressor stall. Shortly after that the other
engine had the same problem. He stay with the plane long enough to get
it level and pointing away from the crowds before ejecting. By that
time he must have been fairly close to the ground because he couldn't
steer his chute away from the fireball. He died in the fireball. I
guess lots of people saw it happen. I had planned to go on the last
day for a 2nd time to see the airshow. I'm glad I didn't (more
concerned for my wife and kids seeing the accident). Was the loss of
the plane and pilot caused by pilot error or mechanical problem? I
don't know. At least he was able to avoid having the plane crash close
to the crowd. I don't think such accidents should cause airshows to be
shut down. I just think that airshows give more people more of an
opportunity to see tragic accidents as they happen. And these days it's
not uncommon to see videotape show up on the evening news. Just thought
I'd throw in my 2 cents worth (not counting the cost of this message
being transmitted over the phone company's wires)!

* SLMR 2.1a * "Ensign Clampett? He's Jed, Jim."

----
MidWest BBS - 708-513-1034 -ILINK Charter Member, UsMail Regional Hub, Usenet

I was 7 yrs old...at Dulles...I saw this ...I was there for the Air Show...The Show Stopped...I saw..they clipped...doing and inversion . He Peeled away..he knew they clipped...He Went Away from the crowd ....I think..I was very young...I know nothing other than I can see it in my mind..like a photo...whew..