757 lands on EWR taxiway by mistake

Old October 31st 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

Default 757 lands on EWR taxiway by mistake

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...rtner=homepage

Old October 31st 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Guy Elden Jr

Gary Drescher wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...rtner=homepage

Must've been cleared for the visual to 11. I remember my instructor and
chief flight instructor both hammering home the point about knowing the
color of lights associated with the approach lighting system, runway,
and taxiway. The head of the flight school is a DE, and during my
instrument oral exam he quized me about pretty much every aspect of the
lighting system. Haven't forgotten it to this day.

--
Guy

Old October 31st 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Many years ago, a C130 was landing at Patterson, LA.
Patterson has a concrete strip and a water filled
canal/lane, very close together. The concrete runway has
white edge lighting with green and red bars, the water has
green edge lighting and white bars. KPTN

Want to guess which runway the C130 landed on?

ups.com...

Old October 31st 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gary Drescher writes:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...rtner=homepage

Well, Northwest has been known to land at the wrong airport in the
wrong country, so it could have been worse.

Old October 31st 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Guy Elden Jr writes:

Must've been cleared for the visual to 11. I remember my instructor and
chief flight instructor both hammering home the point about knowing the
color of lights associated with the approach lighting system, runway,
and taxiway. The head of the flight school is a DE, and during my
instrument oral exam he quized me about pretty much every aspect of the
lighting system. Haven't forgotten it to this day.

How hard is it to distinguish between them? Aren't taxiways always
outlined in blue (and runways _never_ outlined in blue)?

Old October 31st 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

You tell me. http://tinyurl.com/y378wt

Old November 1st 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bucky

Here's some different/additional information from NJ Star Ledger:

"There were no injuries in the incident involving Continental Flight
1883, a Boeing 757-200 that arrived at 6:31 p.m. Saturday from Orlando,
Fla., with 157 passengers and six crew members aboard."

"Peters [FAA spokesman] said the plane should have landed on Runway 29,
but landed on Taxiway Z, otherwise known as Taxiway Zulu, which is
parallel to the runway."

"Halleran [president of the National Air Traffic Controllers
Association local at Newark Airport] characterized the incident as a
'pretty rare' occurrence. He noted runways and taxiways use different
colors of lighting. 'The controllers did everything correctly,' said
Halleran. 'They listened to the tape' of their communication with the
aircraft afterward."

"Runway 29 is 6,800 feet long and 150 feet wide, while the parallel
Taxiway Zulu is the same length but only 75 feet wide."

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey...640.xml&coll=1

Old November 1st 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Gary Drescher" said:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...rtner=homepage

sarcasm
But they were on a flight plan, and the tower was fully staffed, so how
could anything have gone wrong?
/sarcasm

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I think I'd like to see a Simpsons episode starting up with Bart Simpson
Old November 1st 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, "Gary Drescher" said:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...1162357200&en=
858151cf4e7fca20&ei=5094&partner=homepage

sarcasm
But they were on a flight plan, and the tower was fully staffed, so how
could anything have gone wrong?
/sarcasm

Somebody used a non-PMA indicator light in the coffee maker.
Old November 1st 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bucky

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
You tell me. http://tinyurl.com/y378wt

That was a link to a daytime satellite view of EWR. The landing
occurred at 6:31pm EDT, which should have been dark (sunset was around
5:55pm EDT).