Ceconite Wings Question

Old October 14th 04, 09:46 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Montblack wrote:

What Kyle was saying about costs - What's a guess on the material cost (only)
for redoing a fabric covered airplane? How much of that college tuition level
price tag is material vs. labor?

A pre-sewn Ceconite envelope for a Citrabia will set you back $487 at Aircraft
Spruce. You will also need tools, cement, and a silver coat dope sold by Randolph for
the Ceconite system. The dope and cement will set you back about $150. The final
finish can be either Butyrate dope or Polyurethane. Costs vary on that. The full
cost, not counting tools, will come in around $800 for that plane.

To give you an idea of the labor costs, Maule Flight quoted me a price of $12,000 to
recover and paint my aircraft. Only the fuselage and rudder are fabric-covered on
that. Aircraft Spruce does not sell an envelope for my plane (the fabric is glued on
in sections on the MX-7), but the envelope for an earlier model Maule is less than
$230.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 14th 04, 11:18 PM
dave

I found some fabric planes when I was shopping that needed to be
recovered. I was told by two different shops to figure 20-25k. It's
not the material, it the labor. One other thing to consider - try to
use a shop that does not use presewn envelopes. The seams stand proud.
A good shop simply stocks fabric on the roll and doesn't need or
benefit from using envelopes.

Ever see old furniture that sat near a window? The fabric gets dry and
tears easily. Furniture stored away from sunlight isn't faded and
remains pliable. Similar problem with fabric. UV is the killer.

As far as planes being designed with the intention of ripping it apart
every ten years for inspection, I've heard that too but I think that's
nonsense. Does anyone believe that somebody would design a part to last
ten years? The structure of the airplane is designed for the stress
the airframe will be subjected too.

One advantage of fabric - it doesn't dent.

Montblack wrote:
("dave" wrote)

I've heard that too but more like twenty years. If I needed to inspect
every little nook and crany of a fabric covered airplane every ten years
then why not a metal covered one?

I was thinking that too - I'm whimsically looking at a 1946 Ercoupe, which is
going up
for auction this Saturday (16th). There's a beaten up Cessna 140 there also.
Pole barn projects that are soon to be someone else's problem ... I mean
project. Both are planes that will need much time and much money thrown their
way before they get in the air again.

What Kyle was saying about costs - What's a guess on the material cost (only)
for redoing a fabric covered airplane? How much of that college tuition level
price tag is material vs. labor?

Montblack

Old October 14th 04, 11:33 PM
Dave Stadt

"dave" wrote in message
I found some fabric planes when I was shopping that needed to be
recovered. I was told by two different shops to figure 20-25k. It's
not the material, it the labor. One other thing to consider - try to
use a shop that does not use presewn envelopes. The seams stand proud.
A good shop simply stocks fabric on the roll and doesn't need or
benefit from using envelopes.

Ever see old furniture that sat near a window? The fabric gets dry and
tears easily. Furniture stored away from sunlight isn't faded and
remains pliable. Similar problem with fabric. UV is the killer.

If the fabric is properly finished UV is not a problem. Part of the
covering process STC requires UV protection be applied as one of the
finishing steps.

Old October 15th 04, 12:30 AM
Doug

The bottom line, is you don't know.
If it is a modern job with quality paint that will hold up to the UV,
20 years. More if you hangar it. But after 20 years, there may be
enough dings to consider recover. It varies a LOT. Outside, if in the
shade or a climate that is cloudy, I have seen 20 years. But in
Arizona sun, you'd be lucky to get 10.

Conventional wisdom gives a TBO of 20 years, on fabric.
If you hangar it, indefinitely. But again, you might ding it and patch
it.

I have the newer polyurethane on my hangared Husky, it is a 1996 and
NO sign of ANY degradation. I have three signifigant dings (all
repaired to airworthy). Should make 20 years. But who knows for sure.
I guess we should make an fabric reserve of $1000 a year for a 20k
refinish. But it costs nearly that to paint aluminum, so there is not
much difference.

(Captain Wubba) wrote in message . com...
Hello. I'm considering purchasing a plane that has Ceconite wings.
They were recovered last year professionally, and according to an A&P
I asked to have a quick look, were done well and correctly, and have a
UV protectant. My question is the following: I don't have access to a
hanger. This plane would be exposed to the elements in the Midwest.
How long could I expect to fly this plane before the Ceconite would
need replacement? Is there an average 'lifespan' for this type of wing
covering if exposed to the elements?

Thanks,

Cap

Old October 15th 04, 07:55 PM
Paul Anton

I was thinking that too - I'm whimsically looking at a 1946 Ercoupe, which
is
going up
for auction this Saturday (16th).

I recovered a set of Ercoupe wings a couple of years back. Total cost for
materials using the Poly-Fiber system was a little over $1000, including
everything spent for metal work and finish coats.

Cheers:
Paul