OT Humor: I couldn't resist...

Old September 1st 05, 03:32 AM
john smith

Default OT Humor: I couldn't resist...

this from rec.backcountry...

The Donner Party was sitting at dinner, enjoying the comedian, when one
of the guests commented, "Does this taste funny to you?"
Old September 1st 05, 03:41 AM
W P Dixon

HEE HEE

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

.. .

Old September 1st 05, 08:31 AM
Jay Beckman

"john smith" wrote in message
.. .
this from rec.backcountry...

The Donner Party was sitting at dinner, enjoying the comedian, when one of
the guests commented, "Does this taste funny to you?"

A guy I've worked with off and on over the years just loves to give the name
Donner to the hostes when we go out to eat...

"DONNER PARTY, You're table is now ready..." over the loudspeaker always
gets a laugh (and some funny looks...) from the others waiting at the bar.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
AZ Cloudbusters
Chandler, AZ

Old September 1st 05, 03:26 PM
Dave

I live in Gold Country pretty near Donner Pass. The going joke is..

Donner party, party of 4...

Donner Party, party of 3...

and so forth..

.. .

Old September 1st 05, 06:55 PM
buttman

I never understood the whole "donner" thing. I did a google search, and
apparently "Donner Party" has something to do with some western
migration thing. I am so confused.

Old September 1st 05, 07:06 PM
Steve Foley

Trapped in the Mountains

----

On October 31st, when the party was still 150 miles from Sutter's Fort, a
storm hit, dumping several feet of snow. They became trapped in the Sierra
Nevada Mountains and were forced to build a winter camp with little food to
sustain them. When the food ran out, some survived by eating the corpses of
their companions. It was several weeks before rescue parties could be sent
to help because of the Mexican War. Even after the war ended, not everyone
could be rescued at once because of the harsh weather conditions and
difficult terrain.

oups.com...

Old September 1st 05, 07:42 PM
Dave

That about sums it up.

Storms can hit quickly up here. Its too bad they couldn't have hooked up
with the natives. They could have shown them how to get through the winter.

At least they didn't have to KILL anyone for food (not that I remember).
They just ate those that died.

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Trapped in the Mountains

----

On October 31st, when the party was still 150 miles from Sutter's Fort, a
storm hit, dumping several feet of snow. They became trapped in the Sierra
Nevada Mountains and were forced to build a winter camp with little food
sustain them. When the food ran out, some survived by eating the corpses
of
their companions. It was several weeks before rescue parties could be sent
to help because of the Mexican War. Even after the war ended, not everyone
could be rescued at once because of the harsh weather conditions and
difficult terrain.

oups.com...

Old September 1st 05, 11:48 PM
No Such User

In article , Dave wrote:

Storms can hit quickly up here. Its too bad they couldn't have hooked up
with the natives. They could have shown them how to get through the winter.

Not really. The natives dealt with the winter by moving down into lower
valleys. Nobody's going to hang around a place with twenty feet of snow.

Old September 3rd 05, 08:09 AM
Blanche Cohen

And the cafeteria at the student union at the Univ of Colorado (Boulder)
is named for Alferd Packer.

Old September 4th 05, 02:36 AM
john smith

Its a true fact that the descendants of the Donner Party have a weekend
get-together and barbecue every summer at Donner Memorial State Park at
Truckee, CA.
We used to imagine menus:
- baby back ribs
- barbecued Bill
- and of course lady fingers for dessert.
- of course there are buckets and buckets of Bloody Marys for the adults
and Shirley Donners (um, err, Temples) for the kids