Liverpool crash

Old July 5th 04, 11:38 AM
Paul Sengupta

Default Liverpool crash

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/3864843.stm

Old July 5th 04, 08:51 PM
Jay Honeck

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/3864843.stm

Tragic loss.

Any word on what happened?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Old July 5th 04, 10:55 PM
Norfolk and Chance

Flying at Barton when the news broke. Unbelievable...

Andy

Old July 6th 04, 09:15 AM
Clive

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/3864843.stm

Tragic loss.

In the early 90's a friend and I took off from Bembridge in an Arrow III
returning to Southampton. In front of us was a Dutch registered Arrow II. We
followed them out until they had a problem and ditched just off the beach
near Lee-on-Solent.

We circled above and watched as two people clambered from the upturned a/c
and held station while ASR arrived to pick them up.

The worse thing was my wife was waiting at Southamprton and heard a Piper
Arrow had ditched!!! She was 'slightly' releived when we came on the radio -
as she was monitoring ATC

Clive

Old July 6th 04, 12:04 PM
Martin

I don't intend to refer to any particular incident but what I do think
is very bad is how few people carry rafts. I know that the majority of
school/club fly-outs don't carry them. There is no legal requirement
to do so, they are expensive to buy and regularly maintain and,
usually, people get away with it...

i think it has been mentioned before, but is a light aircraft capable of
setting down on water after an engine failure?? Someone once told me that
most people survice a crash (water and land) but often get trapped in the
reckage (usually due to buckled doors etc.). What would be the best thing to
do in such a scenario - open all door prior to 'landing', highest angle of
attack you can get, and set down on the water?

Old July 6th 04, 05:25 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Martin wrote:

What would be the best thing to
do in such a scenario - open all door prior to 'landing', highest angle of
attack you can get, and set down on the water?

Open the doors. If possible, lock them so that they will not close again when the
water hits them. Do a fairly normal landing, keeping the speed down and the nose up.
Keep the speed up enough to avoid stalling the aircraft. Keep your seatbelt fastened;
about the worst thing that can happen is for you to get thrown around and lose
consciousness. If there are substantial waves, land across them. The best place to
set it down in this case is the back side of a wave, but, as Ernie Gann put it, "Show
me the maestro" who can accomplish this.

Once down, unfasten the seat belt. If the door won't open because of water pressure,
keep your head high to breathe as long as possible and bail out after the cabin fills
enough to get it open. If you find yourself well under water at this point, breathe
out just a tad and follow the bubbles to the surface.

Some people worry that the gear will dig in and flip the plane, but articles I've
read indicate that this rarely happens in real life.

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
Old July 6th 04, 06:52 PM
Richard Townsend

Some people worry that the gear will dig in and flip the plane, but

articles I've
read indicate that this rarely happens in real life.

But sometimes it does - see this movie (3.0Mbytes)...

http://www.iflypete.com/Media/Cesna-Accident.mpg

(best to turn the sound down as it's faulty).

regards,
Richard

Old July 6th 04, 07:02 PM
Teacherjh

But sometimes it does - see this movie (3.0Mbytes)...
http://www.iflypete.com/Media/Cesna-Accident.mpg
(best to turn the sound down as it's faulty).

Interesting - of course in that configuration the plane is more top-heavy than
a land plane would be. But it's also interesting that those little wheels
would have such a big effect when left extended for a water landing.

Jose

Old July 6th 04, 07:16 PM
Clive

"Richard Townsend" wrote in message

Some people worry that the gear will dig in and flip the plane, but

articles I've
read indicate that this rarely happens in real life.

But sometimes it does - see this movie (3.0Mbytes)...

http://www.iflypete.com/Media/Cesna-Accident.mpg

(best to turn the sound down as it's faulty).

regards,
Richard

Oops, me thinks he forgot something

Clive

Old July 7th 04, 09:39 AM
David Cartwright

"Martin" wrote in message
Someone once told me that
most people survice a crash (water and land) but often get trapped in the
reckage (usually due to buckled doors etc.). What would be the best thing

do in such a scenario - open all door prior to 'landing', highest angle of
attack you can get, and set down on the water?

I was taught that you unlatch the door and have it ajar before landing, in
case it should jam closed as you touch down. I was also asked what I'd do in
my skills test, and the examiner was satisfied that this was the correct
procedure. Now, this advice relates to stuff like PA-28s (where the hinge is
at the front and the airflow prevents the door from flying open) - keeping
the door under control where the hinge is located differently and the
airflow could tend to open the door.

It's a little unnerving for the passengers when you explain the emergency
procedures to them, show them how to open the door, and get them to try it
out (just so you know they're turning the lever the right way, etc) as I did
Saturday when I took some friends flying. But they understand when you
explain that the last thing you need when you've managed to get it down in a
field in one piece is for the door to be stuck closed!

Of course if you're worried, you could buy a Tiger Moth and just climb out
of the hole in the event of a forced landing :-)

D.