Costs during solo (Instruction)

Old October 9th 04, 05:52 PM
GEG

Default Costs during solo (Instruction)

After one qualifies to solo, do you still
pay intructor rates during solo flights?
I would expect that during briefings and
debriefs, one woul.

But do oyu pay for the whole time you are flying?

Thanks!
Old October 9th 04, 06:00 PM
Robert A. Barker

GEG wrote in message ...
After one qualifies to solo, do you still
pay intructor rates during solo flights?
I would expect that during briefings and
debriefs, one woul.

Depends on the instructor but usually you would be expected to pay for
brief and de-brief time.

But do oyu pay for the whole time you are flying?

Usually ( in my experience) you may be charged
the full amount for the first or second "supervised" solo.
This would be where the CFI actually watches and carries a hand held to talk
to you if necessary.After that
you should not be charged the whole time.

Best of luck

Bob Barker PPASEL N8749S (not a CFI )

Old October 9th 04, 07:25 PM
Peter Duniho

GEG wrote in message ...
After one qualifies to solo, do you still
pay intructor rates during solo flights?
I would expect that during briefings and
debriefs, one woul.

But do oyu pay for the whole time you are flying?

Generally speaking, if you are consuming the instructor's time, you should
be paying for his time. This includes supervised solos, when the instructor
is (should be) monitoring your flight and is focused entirely on you.

In my experience, deviations from this norm occur when the instructor fails
to charge for time he actually invested. I've never heard of an instructor
charging for time that he didn't actually put in, but if you did run into
that situation, I'd look for another instructor, one who takes his job more
seriously.

Deviations in the other direction (not charging even though the instructor
is still working for you) are at the instructor's discretion, and you should
NEVER expect them. Personally, I think any time an instructor fails to
charge for time he actually puts in, he's simply devaluing all instructors'
time, and setting up poor expectations for students. Rounding down by 5
minutes isn't a problem, but an instructor who is regularly foregoing
quarter-hour or more chunks of payment is helping no one, not even the
student they might think they are helping.

A situation when I'd expect to pay the instructor for solo time would be
when I'm making a solo flight at the airport where the instructor has
remained, and the instructor is watching the flight and/or listening on a
handheld, and otherwise is still involved in the solo flight.

Situations where I wouldn't expect to pay the instructor for the solo time
would include flights away from the airport, be they local flights or
cross-country flights.

Regardless, I would expect pre- and post-flight briefings to be paid for, as
you suggest.

Pete

Old October 9th 04, 09:25 PM
zatatime

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 11:52:15 -0500, GEG GEG wrote:

After one qualifies to solo, do you still
pay intructor rates during solo flights?
I would expect that during briefings and
debriefs, one woul.

But do oyu pay for the whole time you are flying?

Thanks!

Only for the three supervised solos.

HTH.

Old October 10th 04, 04:37 AM
BTIZ

Generally speaking, if you are consuming the instructor's time, you should
be paying for his time. This includes supervised solos, when the
instructor is (should be) monitoring your flight and is focused entirely
on you.

Supervised solo's means he's out standing beside the runway to watch the
landings...
if he's back in the school house with his feet up watching tv.. or working
with another student..
then he's not getting a dime from me... unless of course.. he reviewed my
flying plan and weather before I left.... and then he'll get some prebrief
"ground school charges"

BT

Old October 10th 04, 06:14 AM

Generally speaking, if you are consuming the instructor's time, you

should
be paying for his time. This includes supervised solos, when the
instructor is (should be) monitoring your flight and is focused entirely
on you.

I agree, and so does my instructor it seems. The first solo where he stood
on the flight line, I paid him for his time. When I've gone on my solo cross
countries, I don't pay him. However, I do pay him when (usually the day
before the flight) we review my flight planning and (usually just before the
next lesson) we discuss how the flight went. The day of a solo x-c we'll
talk on the phone or he'll meet me at the flying club and we'll make sure
we're on the same page as far as weather, TFR's, etc., but I don't pay him
for that time since it's just a few minutes. Similarly, if I'm just going up
solo for pattern work or air work over the harbor, I'll get the OK from him
on the phone or during the previous lesson and won't need to pay him since,
for all I know, he's 100 miles away doing his own thing while I'm in the
air.

-Tony
Student Pilot
40.4 hours