X-country eastern states

Old October 15th 04, 08:24 PM
Mark Rademaker

Default X-country eastern states

Planning to go x-country in the US May next year. Routing will be (roughly):
Houston - Chicago - Bangor - Jacksonville - Houston. Any airports along the
way we should visit besides for refueling? Please advise. Thanks.
Mark
The Netherlands

Old October 15th 04, 08:54 PM
Peter MacPherson

I'm assuming you mean Bangor, ME. If so, you want to
stop at Bar Harbor, ME(BIB). Great place to visit.
It's about 30 miles southeast of Bangor, ME.

. ..

Old October 15th 04, 10:13 PM
john smith

Between Chicago and Bar Harbor...
USAF Museum, Dayton Ohio.
Use Springfield-Beckley Municipal Airport (KSGH)

Old October 15th 04, 10:37 PM
zatatime

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:13:49 GMT, john smith wrote:

Between Chicago and Bar Harbor...
USAF Museum, Dayton Ohio.
Use Springfield-Beckley Municipal Airport (KSGH)

Yep, plan a full day for that one.

Old October 15th 04, 10:49 PM
Peter MacPherson

If you're going to stop at museums, on the way from Bangor
to Jacksonville, stop at Dulles, VA(IAD) and check out
the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/

Old October 15th 04, 10:50 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

In Jacksonville, you will likely end up at Craig Field (CRG; depending on
where the people you are visiting live). It's about halfway between the
city itself and the beach. While arriving or departing, though, you might
consider a quick visit to Cecil Field. It's not in the most convenient
location for visiting Jacksonville, but it's an recently-closed Naval Air
Station with 3 enormous runways and 1 really enormous one.

---

Old October 15th 04, 11:11 PM
Nathan Young

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:24:10 +0200, "Mark Rademaker"
wrote:

Planning to go x-country in the US May next year. Routing will be (roughly):
Houston - Chicago - Bangor - Jacksonville - Houston. Any airports along the
way we should visit besides for refueling? Please advise. Thanks.
Mark

For Chicago. If you are just passing through and need a fuel stop, I
would recommend Morris, C09 (about 45 nm SW of the city). Morris has
good fuel and a good restaurant.

If you are looking to visit downtown Chicago. Your best bet is
Chicago-Midway. Make sure to call ahead to make parking arrangements
with the FBO. Take the Orange line El Train downtown.

If you are looking for a place to overnight with your plane. Grand
Geneva Resort and Spa. C02. Airport is on the resort property.
Great restaurants and golf courses.
http://www.grandgeneva.com
This is a bit out of the way, as it is 57nm NW of Chicago (and I'm
assuming you don't want to hop Lake Michigan on the way to Maine).
Old October 15th 04, 11:28 PM
AJW

On the way to Maine, consider stopping at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome near Red
Hook, NY. Catch a WW I aircraft airshow. Check for showtimes.

FWIW, I've seen vee tail Bonanzas land on the Aerodrome airstrip, but I
wouldn't put my Mooney on it, I used Red Hook and took a cab.

Old October 16th 04, 12:55 AM
Morgans

"zatatime" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:13:49 GMT, john smith wrote:

Between Chicago and Bar Harbor...
USAF Museum, Dayton Ohio.
Use Springfield-Beckley Municipal Airport (KSGH)

Yep, plan a full day for that one.

Just ONE day?
--
Jim in NC

---

No US soldier should have 2 die for Israel 4 oil Ewe n0 who Military Aviation 1 April 9th 04 11:25 PM
No US soldier should have 2 die for Israel 4 oil Ewe n0 who Naval Aviation 0 April 7th 04 07:31 PM
Osama bin Laaden Big John Piloting 2 January 12th 04 04:05 AM
Two Years of War Stop Spam! Military Aviation 3 October 9th 03 11:05 AM
U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world John Mullen Military Aviation 149 September 22nd 03 03:42 PM