Pix of the MATS Connie's Visit

Old August 31st 04, 11:11 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Pix of the MATS Connie's Visit

Here are a whole bunch of pictures -- and videos -- of the MATS
Constellation's visit to Iowa City this past weekend.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2004_iowa_city_fly-in.htm

Mary and I were able to log some right-seat time in that big, beautiful
bird, with 84 (?) year old Frank Lang in the Captain's chair. (See the
video of Mary at the controls...) Man, he's a smooth stick, effortlessly
sliding that humongous aircraft onto Rwy 25 with plenty of room to spare...

It was awesome, and a bit intimidating. The Connie is VERY heavy on the
controls, but the rudder(s) are quite effective! I was able to run the
beast through some standard-rate, 180 degree turns, at 2000 feet, and it was
very, very cool...

We're still giggling!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 1st 04, 01:48 AM
Louis L. Perley III

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Very nice, although I must admit one of the first thoughts to cross my
mind when browsing the pictures was "I wouldn't want to be the one assigned
to polish an airplane that large!"

--
Louis L. Perley III
N46000

Old September 1st 04, 06:22 AM
Jay Honeck

Very nice, although I must admit one of the first thoughts to cross my
mind when browsing the pictures was "I wouldn't want to be the one

assigned
to polish an airplane that large!"

It's kind of interesting to note that when we saw this plane in 2002, they
were talking about how they could no longer polish the surface, because they
had actually rubbed *through* the alcad -- the shiny/soft pure aluminum on
the surface. It was a dingy gray color, and looked, well, old.

They were even talking about retiring the plane to a museum.

Now, fast forward two years, and the MATS Connie looks FABULOUS. It
absolutely gleams in the sunlight, and the surface -- while not the
mirror-like finish of some show planes -- is quite noticeably shinier.

Despite all the time I spent with those guys, I never remembered to ask them
what they did to the plane to make it shiny again. Anyone know? Is it a
spray-on coating of some kind?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 1st 04, 02:00 PM
Viperdoc

Jay:

It was great to finally hook up and meet you and your family after reading
all of your (interesting) posts. Hopefully, next time we'll get in a ride as
well as lunch at the Mexican restaurant.

Best wishes and good luck.

JN

Old September 1st 04, 05:23 PM
Jay Honeck

It was great to finally hook up and meet you and your family after reading
all of your (interesting) posts. Hopefully, next time we'll get in a ride

as
well as lunch at the Mexican restaurant.

Hey Doc -- same here! You certainly had the coolest plane at the fly-in --
thanks for letting me crawl in it!

I can't imagine what a 400 degree per second roll-rate must feel like. I'm
looking forward (I think!) to that ride someday!

Next time you're in town, we'll do El Ranchero's, and maybe (if you can
spend the night) enjoy a margarita or two...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 1st 04, 09:00 PM
Jack Allison

Very cool Jay. Nice addition to your guys log books. Can't remember
where I've seen the Mats Connie before...could have been at one of
several air shows in the past. Very nice plane. Glad to know they're
keeping something like this flying.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student