Commercial certificate question

Old November 4th 05, 10:00 PM
Matt Whiting

Default Commercial certificate question

I think I know the answer to this, but would like a second opinion.
Does FAR 61.129 (a)(3) (iii) and (iv) really require an instructor ride
along on these two long VFR flights? I have over 600 hours TT and an
instrument rating and plan to obtain my commercial certificate.
however, in reviewing my logbook, I don't have any dual cross countries
of this length during either the day or night. I find it hard to
believe I need to cart along an instructor for this, but it seems to
read as though these flights must be "training" flights.

Any instructors able to confirm if I'm reading this correctly?

Regards,
Matt
Old November 4th 05, 10:53 PM
Mitty

On 11/4/2005 4:00 PM, Matt Whiting wrote the following:
I think I know the answer to this, but would like a second opinion. Does
FAR 61.129 (a)(3) (iii) and (iv) really require an instructor ride along
on these two long VFR flights? I have over 600 hours TT and an
instrument rating and plan to obtain my commercial certificate. however,
in reviewing my logbook, I don't have any dual cross countries of this
length during either the day or night. I find it hard to believe I need
to cart along an instructor for this, but it seems to read as though
these flights must be "training" flights.

Any instructors able to confirm if I'm reading this correctly?

Regards,
Matt

My Examiner would say you are reading it correctly. I read it that any 2 hour
flights would do, but he didn't.

At my checkride, we had to hunt through my logbook to find a flight that
qualified under iii. Fortunately I had once taken an instructor friend with me
on a flight where I needed to use an airplane (Cherokee 6) that I wasn't fully
checked out in. The DE maybe stretched a bit, but accepted that flight as
meeting the requirement.
Old November 4th 05, 11:22 PM
Peter Clark

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:00:51 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:

I think I know the answer to this, but would like a second opinion.
Does FAR 61.129 (a)(3) (iii) and (iv) really require an instructor ride
along on these two long VFR flights? I have over 600 hours TT and an
instrument rating and plan to obtain my commercial certificate.
however, in reviewing my logbook, I don't have any dual cross countries
of this length during either the day or night. I find it hard to
believe I need to cart along an instructor for this, but it seems to
read as though these flights must be "training" flights.

Any instructors able to confirm if I'm reading this correctly?

The school I'm at and the DE we use would agree that the 2hr day and
night CCs have to be logged as dual received since they are in the
"flight training" section of the requirements (just went through this
myself while reviewing the logbooks to make sure we're on track to
meet the CP-AMEL requirements before scheduling the checkride).
Old November 5th 05, 01:54 AM
Bill Zaleski

No doubt about it, The flights are training flights, and must be done
with an authorized trainer, (CFI)

Old November 5th 05, 02:36 AM
Rip

Yup, the night before my commercial checkride, I had to do a dual night
crosscountry with an instructor`.

Rip

Old November 5th 05, 03:23 AM
BTIZ

yes... they have to be training received from a CFI
one day, one night, and they have to be VFR.. using the IFR ticket to get
down through the soup at the other end is a disqualifying factor.. divert to
a VFR field..

the idea is that you have planned, flown and navigated to "commercial
standards"

I did mine with a very dark launch one morning.. landing before sunrise at
the other end.
Had breakfast at the airport diner and then flew back in day light.

BT

Old November 5th 05, 04:54 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Your DE definitely stretched that one in your favor because your CFI
had no idea that he was giving you commercial XC instruction. Hunting
through the logbook to find a flight to fits the FAR description is a
poor way to start a checkride. It has to be clearly written. I usually
write in my students' logbooks "Commercial VFR-XC" so that there is no
ambiguity later.

Old November 5th 05, 04:57 AM
Andrew Sarangan

I think you mean 'landing one hour before sunrise'. An hour within
sunrise does not qualify as night.

Old November 5th 05, 05:04 AM
Jose

I think you mean 'landing one hour before sunrise'. An hour within
sunrise does not qualify as night.

Actually it's civil twilight, which is about half hour the dark side of
sun thresholding, depending on latitude.

Jose
Old November 5th 05, 05:12 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message
m...

Actually it's civil twilight, which is about half hour the dark side of
sun thresholding, depending on latitude.

The FAA uses different definitions of "night" in different situations. For
purposes of currency "night" is the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and
ending 1 hour before sunrise.