Interesting use of cell phone to command a sharp roll to the right!

Old December 18th 03, 08:07 PM
Peter Bondar

Default Interesting use of cell phone to command a sharp roll to the right!

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_gad_gasil4of2003.pdf

Highlights the case where a KAP140 equipped plane went a bit wobbly which
was caused by a cell phone carried by a passenger.

Personally I thought it was all rubbish till now, I guess time to take a
different view.

Makes you think when you are using Otto for an approach to minimums as I did
earlier this week,
an uncommanded roll at 230 feet could be a bit tricky!

Peter

Old December 18th 03, 09:38 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Peter Bondar" wrote in message
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_gad_gasil4of2003.pdf

Highlights the case where a KAP140 equipped plane went a bit wobbly which
was caused by a cell phone carried by a passenger.

Personally I thought it was all rubbish till now, I guess time to take a
different view.

Makes you think when you are using Otto for an approach to minimums as I

did
earlier this week,
an uncommanded roll at 230 feet could be a bit tricky!

I think the authors of GASIL do a generally good job in producing something
that is bound to be didactic. But this is one of a few examples of really
awful science. So the autopilot makes an uncommanded roll and one of the
passengers happens to find a mobile phone on. So the mobile phone must be
responsible for the autopilot issue. Yeah right...

Julian Scarfe

Old December 18th 03, 11:42 PM
Peter R.

Julian Scarfe wrote:

I think the authors of GASIL do a generally good job in producing something
that is bound to be didactic. But this is one of a few examples of really
awful science. So the autopilot makes an uncommanded roll and one of the
passengers happens to find a mobile phone on. So the mobile phone must be
responsible for the autopilot issue. Yeah right...

My KAP 140 AP made an uncommanded roll to the right after I invoked it
at cruise a few months ago. No cell phones were on.

An investigation by avionics later discovered that one of the servos was
defective and needed to be replaced.

--
Peter

Old December 19th 03, 03:27 AM
Casey Wilson

"Peter R." wrote in message
Julian Scarfe wrote:

I think the authors of GASIL do a generally good job in producing

something
that is bound to be didactic. But this is one of a few examples of

really
awful science. So the autopilot makes an uncommanded roll and one of

the
passengers happens to find a mobile phone on. So the mobile phone must

be
responsible for the autopilot issue. Yeah right...

My KAP 140 AP made an uncommanded roll to the right after I invoked it
at cruise a few months ago. No cell phones were on.

An investigation by avionics later discovered that one of the servos was
defective and needed to be replaced.

For what it's worth, I made a three hour cross-country flight and
found my cell phone was on all the time when I went to cancel my flight
plan. On the way home I played with it in the cockpit (one hand firmly on
the controls) and found not one iota of problem -- including the KAP-140
installed in the 172SP. I do, however, turn it off when I can remember
because of the purported (implied) problems associated with the cell-phone
system on the ground. It (the cell phone) is virtually worthless in the
cockpit with the high ambient noise level anyway.

Old December 19th 03, 03:43 AM
Judah

I read somewhere that increased flatulence can cause interference with
airplane equipment. Is it possible that one of your passengers emitted
Flatulence during that period of uncommanded roll?

Peter R. wrote in
:

Old December 19th 03, 04:36 AM
Peter R.

Judah wrote:

I read somewhere that increased flatulence can cause interference with
airplane equipment. Is it possible that one of your passengers emitted
Flatulence during that period of uncommanded roll?

LOL! Considering the pilot and passenger, that is very possible.

--
Peter

Old December 19th 03, 04:38 AM
Peter R.

Casey Wilson wrote:

. I do, however, turn it off when I can remember
because of the purported (implied) problems associated with the
cell-phone system on the ground.

I do, too, but also because I read that the phone's battery can be
prematurely drained while the phone keeps attempting to make contact
with the cell node (or some explanation like that).

--
Peter

Old December 19th 03, 02:02 PM
David Megginson

Casey Wilson wrote:

For what it's worth, I made a three hour cross-country flight and
found my cell phone was on all the time when I went to cancel my flight
plan. On the way home I played with it in the cockpit (one hand firmly on
the controls) and found not one iota of problem -- including the KAP-140
installed in the 172SP. I do, however, turn it off when I can remember
because of the purported (implied) problems associated with the cell-phone
system on the ground. It (the cell phone) is virtually worthless in the
cockpit with the high ambient noise level anyway.

It can be useful as a locating device, I think (assuming that your ELT is
not being helpful). If your cell phone is on and someone calls it, I think
that they can determine which cell the phone is communicating with even if
no one can answer.

All the best,

David

Old December 19th 03, 02:24 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Julian Scarfe" wrote in message
[...]

Was it doing rolls the entire trip?

Old December 19th 03, 02:25 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Peter R." wrote in message
Julian Scarfe wrote:

I think the authors of GASIL do a generally good job in producing

something
that is bound to be didactic. But this is one of a few examples of

really
awful science. So the autopilot makes an uncommanded roll and one of

the
passengers happens to find a mobile phone on. So the mobile phone must

be
responsible for the autopilot issue. Yeah right...

My KAP 140 AP made an uncommanded roll to the right after I invoked it
at cruise a few months ago. No cell phones were on.

An investigation by avionics later discovered that one of the servos was
defective and needed to be replaced.

Maybe your cell phone was defective, not the servo.