Are birds IFR?

Old September 24th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kevin Clarke

Default Are birds IFR?

Thanks for the great article. So the 'scientific' answer is yes, the
interpretation is 'but they don't like it'.

Of course, you'd never know if a bird was in the soup with you.

KC

A Lieberma wrote:
Kevin Clarke wrote in news:mZfRg.5203$UG4.4955
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Here's a whacky question.

I just flew my 250NM IFR x-ctry. The last leg was IMC, bouncing along at
5000'. So the question I have is, do birds ever fly in the clouds?

KC

See http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...07/ai_n8801218 for
study on birds flying without visual reference and you be the judge.

Allen

Old September 24th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Well, at least not until you heard it... I've never heard of anyone
hitting one in actual precipitation, but they are flying in times of low
ceilings so you can hit one while still in the soup.

Old September 24th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Kevin Clarke said:
Of course, you'd never know if a bird was in the soup with you.

I heard Mary Schiavo is accusing the FAA of a lax attitude towards air
safety because they haven't equipped all birds with transponders.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
And the Prime Directive would be a valid excuse to do absolutely nothing
Old September 24th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kevin Clarke

But they'd be naturals.

"Squawk" 4673. :^)

KC

Old September 24th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Kevin Clarke wrote in news:mZfRg.5203$UG4.4955
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Here's a whacky question.

snip
So what about it? Are birds IFR equipped? :^)

Does the AAA (Avian Aviation Administration) prohibit birds from flying in
the clouds or low visibility?

My guess is that they don't. In fact, I doubt if the AAA is part of the
ICAO or whether it communicates enough with ICAO members to even be aware
of the flight restrictions placed on all us human pilots...

That said, I would guess that a bird flying into a cloud would suffer some
of the same disorientation that a VFR pilot might. Perhaps the bird might
not have as much issue with the spatial disorientation caused by "seat of
the pants" flying, but I am not fully versed in the biophysics of a bird so
I couldn't say for sure.

But certainly a bird in the clouds would not be able to use Pilotage for
his navigation method. Nor would he be able to identify North without a
good compass, GPS, or VOR receiver. I don't believe birds carry all that
equipment, though, so they would probably have to use dead reckoning.
However, since they don't normally carry this equipment anyway, they may
have to use dead reckoning for much of their navigation, regardless of the
prevailing meteorological conditions.

So the real question is, by what means do birds navigate North in the
summer and South in the winter? The answer to this question may provide
great revelations about the entire AAA air traffic control system.

Old September 25th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

Nor would he be able to identify North without a
good compass, GPS, or VOR receiver.

I believe birds have built-in compasses.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old September 25th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
jmk

Mal wrote:
I read an article on the CASA website they did DNA testing to find out what
airplanes were hitting from the remaining remnants on the aircraft.

We often talk about bird strikes they said at night bat strikes were common.

Here in Austin where we have the worlds largest urban bat colony, bat
strikes at night are common. I've never hit an actual bat, but I did
have one drop a large fruit object in order to dodge my prop. After I
put the plane away it looked like total carnage - big squishy red pulp
just above the landing light... Until I realized that it was extra
sticky and sweet. Apparently in that little flash of recognition we
both had through my windscreen, the bat dropped his load (I'm guessing
a fig, probably about 2 inches across) in order to climb.

Old September 25th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 09/25/06 08:52, jmk wrote:
Mal wrote:
I read an article on the CASA website they did DNA testing to find out what
airplanes were hitting from the remaining remnants on the aircraft.

We often talk about bird strikes they said at night bat strikes were common.

Here in Austin where we have the worlds largest urban bat colony, bat
strikes at night are common. I've never hit an actual bat, but I did
have one drop a large fruit object in order to dodge my prop. After I
put the plane away it looked like total carnage - big squishy red pulp
just above the landing light... Until I realized that it was extra
sticky and sweet. Apparently in that little flash of recognition we
both had through my windscreen, the bat dropped his load (I'm guessing
a fig, probably about 2 inches across) in order to climb.

Perhaps he dropped more than one load?
;-)
Old September 26th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
vincent p. norris

I've noticed daytime birds are extremely uncomfortable flying at night.

How in the world could you notice that? What makes a bird look
"uncomfortable"?

vince norris

Birds at Altitude Judah Piloting 33 September 28th 06 08:54 AM
Fat Birds Bob Chilcoat Piloting 14 January 29th 06 01:27 PM
Freakn' Birds!! Jon Kraus Owning 6 June 27th 05 08:58 AM
Now the g*damned birds need transponders in the ADIZ R.L. Piloting 15 April 29th 05 10:49 PM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM