Are birds IFR?

Old September 26th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default Are birds IFR?

Old September 27th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Jose wrote in news:ZbGRg.4230$vJ2.720
@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Nor would he be able to identify North without a
good compass, GPS, or VOR receiver.

I believe birds have built-in compasses.

Jose

How about compass correction cards?
Old September 28th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

:

Nor would he be able to identify North without a
good compass, GPS, or VOR receiver.

I believe birds have built-in compasses.

Jose

How about compass correction cards?

I think that they write that stuff on the underside of one of their
feathers.

-- Dane
Old September 28th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jay Beckman

"Dane Spearing" wrote in message
In article ,
Judah wrote:
Jose wrote in news:ZbGRg.4230$vJ2.720
:

Nor would he be able to identify North without a
good compass, GPS, or VOR receiver.

I believe birds have built-in compasses.

Jose

How about compass correction cards?

I think that they write that stuff on the underside of one of their
feathers.

-- Dane

"Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency..."

- Foghorn Leghorn

Old September 28th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow

Judah wrote:
Jose wrote in news:ZbGRg.4230$vJ2.720
:

Nor would he be able to identify North without a
good compass, GPS, or VOR receiver.

I believe birds have built-in compasses.

Jose

How about compass correction cards?

I think that they write that stuff on the underside of one of their
feathers.

-- Dane

"Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency..."

- Foghorn Leghorn

Boy...I say'a boy, you're going about it all wrong!!!

Old September 30th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Greg Farris

I believe the jury is still out on what birds can and cannot do.
Certainly they can navigate to a destination without relying solely on
visual cues, but whether this is magnetic sensing (as some researchers
affirm) or not remains unproven. "attitude flying" is of course a diffent
question - can they stay upright in cloud?

There are probably differences in different types of birds as well. I know
some people who keep exotic birds at home have only to turn off the lights
if they want to catch the bird to put it back in its cage. As soon as it's
dark, the bird will not move. While other birds, obviously, fly at night
regularly.

If birds prefer VFR, they must certainly get in the same situation as
pilots, and wander inadvertently into IMC. But then, we cannot know what
their loss rate is!

GF

Old September 30th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

I believe the jury is still out on what birds can and cannot do.
Certainly they can navigate to a destination without relying solely on
visual cues, but whether this is magnetic sensing (as some researchers
affirm) or not remains unproven. "attitude flying" is of course a diffent
question - can they stay upright in cloud?

Almost thirty years ago I went to school with a chap who discovered
magnetite in the brains of birds, and speculated that it was used in
navigation. He did a lot of research on it (I think it was his thesis).
I haven't followed the research closely, but I think he pretty much
established it.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old September 30th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Jose wrote in news:AXvTg.18304$Ij.6358
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

Almost thirty years ago I went to school with a chap who discovered
magnetite in the brains of birds, and speculated that it was used in
navigation. He did a lot of research on it (I think it was his thesis).
I haven't followed the research closely, but I think he pretty much
established it.

According to wikipedia, as well as http://www.affs.org/html/biomagnetism.html
the Academy for Future Science, magnetite is also found in human brains. But
I can't tell which way is North without a compass either...

The AFFS site seems to indicate that the magnetite in the brain is used to
generate the "natural" electricity that is found throughout the nervous and
muscular system. It even mentions the skeletal structure as being
conductive...

My guess is that birds use it for the same thing...
Old September 30th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

magnetite is also found in human brains. But
I can't tell which way is North without a compass either...

Obviously it is only found in men's brains. That's why women have to
ask for directions.

Jose

Birds at Altitude Judah Piloting 33 September 28th 06 08:54 AM
Fat Birds Bob Chilcoat Piloting 14 January 29th 06 01:27 PM
Freakn' Birds!! Jon Kraus Owning 6 June 27th 05 08:58 AM
Now the g*damned birds need transponders in the ADIZ R.L. Piloting 15 April 29th 05 10:49 PM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM