VFR Flight with more Ipad and Foreflight experiences - Video

Old July 25th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default VFR Flight with more Ipad and Foreflight experiences - Video

VFR Flight in a Piper Warrier with more Ipad and Foreflight
experiences

The good bad and ugly follows with the Ipad. Went flying with a fried
in a Piper Warrior. Video contains average of 15 second snippets of
the flight. No audio (outside engine noise) just text overlays in the
video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKBVs0RTQqY

The good

Just like any hand held device, it's awesome for situational awareness
especially with the sectional as a backdrop. Video includes a real
good example of the need for situational awareness. 3G worked higher
on this flight (3500 MSL) GPS held satellite signal nicely with a
great accuracy rate.

The bad

Reflectivity was much worse in this flight. The higher the sun got,
the worse the reflectivity on the screen. Nav log did not countdown
mileage enroute like a aviation hand held GPS. Could not access
NOTAMS offline for individual airports under the airport option, only
in briefing could I access the NOTAMS which was not the full flavor I
always print before flight.

The ugly

The Ipad was on my lap. Unbeknown to me, the thing was baking away in
the direct sunlight and it met it's operational temperature limits and
shut down. It took 5 minutes to cool down to get back in operating
limits with me putting the unit by an air vent. Video includes our
"fix" to this problem. GPS assist should NOT be used in flight.
While I was using 3G, everything was happy. When I lost 3G, I also
lost GPS tracking. The fix to this was to turn off 3G and GPS
tracking kicked right back in.

Video ends with our landing wing view. No front view due to me
inadvertently videoing the support bar going down the windscreen. It
blocked 1/2 the video. Oh well, next time they say.