Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Old October 17th 20, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 6:03:20 AM UTC-4, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:55:27 PM UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Maybe it says something about Namibia flying, but it says nothing about the Parowan motorglider
event I've been going to for over 10 years. We discuss the flights, rarely the motors. Ditto
for when I fly at Ely following the Parowan event.

I remember arriving at Parowan for a contest immediately after the motorglider meet there and found a bunch of them on the apron working on engines. I distinctly remember someone welding a silencer together and another rebuilding a carburetor. Eric probably missed this because he was busy flying!

Mike

7 years flying ASH motor gliders and never had any breakdown!
Old October 17th 20, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 3:03:20 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:55:27 PM UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Maybe it says something about Namibia flying, but it says nothing about the Parowan motorglider
event I've been going to for over 10 years. We discuss the flights, rarely the motors. Ditto
for when I fly at Ely following the Parowan event.

I remember arriving at Parowan for a contest immediately after the motorglider meet there and found a bunch of them on the apron working on engines. I distinctly remember someone welding a silencer together and another rebuilding a carburetor. Eric probably missed this because he was busy flying!

Mike

I am curious about what year that was. I have only missed one year at Parowan in over a decade and can't recall what you are talking about. There have been plenty of times, however, when I was prepared to fly my glider and the towplane wasn't, either because of mechanical, regulatory of tow pilot issues. I also have gone to airports where there was no towplane whatsoever.

Tom
Old October 17th 20, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

Keep checking the fan belt - which is not very accessible (or simple to tension or replace). The ASH rotary is vulnerable to potentially serious and very expensive internal damage if the fan belt fails or falls off. In that case internal rotor air cooling stops, the engine rapidly overheats and also the rotor lubrication is compromised. The only in-flight indication is the rotor air temperature reading or alarm. I got it shut down quickly enough so that, although Schleicher said there would definitely be internal damage estimated at up to 20,000 euros + tax, I actually got lucky.

There are DIY monitoring solutions on the ASH26e support group.
Old October 17th 20, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rakel

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 7:43:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Just curious: what is 'current on aerotow'? Last time I had a long layoff from gliding (2 years due to business) I found no difficulty in aerotowing.

I had a 30 year layoff from gliding because of family and work obligations.

It took me several flights to relearn how to fly a glider on tow. I was up front with my instructors and they just treated me like a new student. I also spent a lot of time reading the latest instruction manuals, especially the new airspace regulations.

Old November 19th 20, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

For all you non-believers and skeptics that did not believe the JS1 had
been measured by the Idafleig at 63:1 please see the latest posting on the

Jonkers website regarding the JS2. Your really not as smart as you think
you
are.

Old November 19th 20, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Me

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 6:15:11 AM UTC-6, Paul T wrote:
For all you non-believers and skeptics that did not believe the JS1 had
been measured by the Idafleig at 63:1 please see the latest posting on the

Jonkers website regarding the JS2. Your really not as smart as you think
you
are.

Paul, no dog in this fight for me but I don't see anything on the JS website mentioning Idafleig, can you post a link to what you are looking at?
Old November 19th 20, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Paul T wrote on 11/19/2020 4:13 AM:
For all you non-believers and skeptics that did not believe the JS1 had
been measured by the Idafleig at 63:1 please see the latest posting on the

Jonkers website regarding the JS2. Your really not as smart as you think
you
are.

How odd the 63:1 only occurs at the high wing loading in 21M, and not at the minimum wing

Old November 19th 20, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Me

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:35:55 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Paul T wrote on 11/19/2020 4:13 AM:
For all you non-believers and skeptics that did not believe the JS1 had
been measured by the Idafleig at 63:1 please see the latest posting on the

Jonkers website regarding the JS2. Your really not as smart as you think
you
are.

How odd the 63:1 only occurs at the high wing loading in 21M, and not at the minimum wing

I noticed the same thing. So there is essentially no reason to fly it in 21m dry configuration? And almost no situation where you would fly it dry in either configuration anyway?
Old November 19th 20, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Me

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:58:23 AM UTC-6, Me wrote:
On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:35:55 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Paul T wrote on 11/19/2020 4:13 AM:
For all you non-believers and skeptics that did not believe the JS1 had
been measured by the Idafleig at 63:1 please see the latest posting on the

Jonkers website regarding the JS2. Your really not as smart as you think
you
are.

How odd the 63:1 only occurs at the high wing loading in 21M, and not at the minimum wing

I noticed the same thing. So there is essentially no reason to fly it in 21m dry configuration? And almost no situation where you would fly it dry in either configuration anyway?

The minimum wing loading in the table does not match minimum wing loading in the polar graph. I'm confused...
Old November 19th 20, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 11/19/2020 8:35 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
How odd the 63:1 only occurs at the high wing loading in 21M, and not at
the minimum wing loading, where the L/D is essentially the same for the
18M and 21M wings.

Not odd at all. Reynolds number changes make a big difference especially
with tiny chord. IIRC the original Ventus 15m increased LD 2 points with
ballast, and could not change wingloading as much as modern gliders.

ASW 20C Motorglider Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 3 February 7th 19 11:17 AM
FS: DG-400 Motorglider 2G Soaring 0 September 20th 13 02:32 PM
IFR in motorglider? cp Soaring 28 March 9th 08 12:02 AM
Motorglider Tug Ray Lovinggood Soaring 21 November 13th 04 04:06 AM
motorglider KsiTau Soaring 0 September 4th 04 09:10 AM