New 182T, where's the useful load??

Old April 27th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default New 182T, where's the useful load??

I just finished checking out in a new 182T as part of getting my FITS
G1000 CFI training. I am now ready to provide G1000 instruction!
I couldn't help noticing that the useful load on the new 182 is almost
the same as the useful load on my Mooney! If you also take into account
that I can go 150nm on 60 lbs of gas in the Mooney vs. 130nm on 76 lbs
of gas in the C182, the useful load of the 182 looks really, really
poor. What happened to the idea that you could load a 182 to the
ceiling and go fly? Isn't that why people buy 182s? What's the
motiviation to buy a C182 now??
I got the G1000 CFI training so I can teach in the new Mooneys but I
could only find the 182 that I could rent.

-Robert, CFI

Old April 27th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I just finished checking out in a new 182T as part of getting my FITS
G1000 CFI training. I am now ready to provide G1000 instruction!
I couldn't help noticing that the useful load on the new 182 is almost
the same as the useful load on my Mooney! If you also take into account
that I can go 150nm on 60 lbs of gas in the Mooney vs. 130nm on 76 lbs
of gas in the C182, the useful load of the 182 looks really, really
poor. What happened to the idea that you could load a 182 to the
ceiling and go fly? Isn't that why people buy 182s? What's the
motiviation to buy a C182 now??
I got the G1000 CFI training so I can teach in the new Mooneys but I
could only find the 182 that I could rent.

Robert,
1. please consider posting to this group a write-up about your G-1000
CFI training.

2. What is the max gross and usefull load of the 182T you flew?
Old April 27th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 26 Apr 2006 19:37:56 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

I just finished checking out in a new 182T as part of getting my FITS
G1000 CFI training. I am now ready to provide G1000 instruction!
I couldn't help noticing that the useful load on the new 182 is almost
the same as the useful load on my Mooney! If you also take into account
that I can go 150nm on 60 lbs of gas in the Mooney vs. 130nm on 76 lbs
of gas in the C182, the useful load of the 182 looks really, really
poor. What happened to the idea that you could load a 182 to the
ceiling and go fly? Isn't that why people buy 182s? What's the
motiviation to buy a C182 now??
I got the G1000 CFI training so I can teach in the new Mooneys but I
could only find the 182 that I could rent.

-Robert, CFI

Where you at? The club is contemplating selling the '67 PA28-235
because of fuel costs. Empty weight is 1603. Max is 2600. New
engine, antique panel.

Don
Old April 27th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The useful load on this new 182T was 1030 lbs.

-Robert

Old April 27th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Where you at? The club is contemplating selling the '67 PA28-235
because of fuel costs

Thanks but I'm very happy with my fuel sipping Mooney. The only problem
was that I couldn't get a G1000 CFI certification in it because I have
round dials.

-Robert

Old April 27th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You need one of those new Mooneys with the G, what do they
cost? A half million or so. I'll take two after I win the
Powerball and Mega Millions and Bill gates adopts me.

But in terms of real US money, adjusted for 50 years of
inflation, that is only $50,000.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old April 27th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
The useful load on this new 182T was 1030 lbs.

What about standard empty weight? Compared?

Comparing an under-equipped model with an over-equipped competitor?

When I was buying my B36, one add stated "nicely equipped". Boy, I'll say;
_dual everything_ had brought the equipped useful load down to 880 lbs. Sans
fuel.

Old April 27th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
The useful load on this new 182T was 1030 lbs.

1986 C182R
Empty weight: 1856 lbs
Max Gross weight: 3150 lbs
Useful load: 1294 lbs
Full fuel: 528 lbs
Remaining useful: 764 lbs

Next time I go to the airport, I will look up the numbers for the C182S
we have in the club I am in. The max gross on the S is only 3100, 50 lbs
less than the R. I also know it has a higher empty weight, but I do not
remember what it is.
Old April 27th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

1986 C182R
Empty weight: 1856 lbs
Max Gross weight: 3150 lbs
Useful load: 1294 lbs
Full fuel: 528 lbs
Remaining useful: 764 lbs

The C182T is almost 300 lbs less than that. I'm just very curious how
Cessna markets that since they seem to have given up their main
marketing space (high useful load trucks).

-Ronert

Old April 27th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

But in terms of real US money, adjusted for 50 years of
inflation, that is only $50,000.

So all I got to do is find a 50 year loan at an interest rate that is
locked to an inflation index.

-Robert