Best looking US Vintage sailplane

Old January 25th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider[_2_]

Default Best looking US Vintage sailplane

What is the best looking US made Vintage sailplane?
Don't say Bowlus Baby Albatross, or Yankee Doodle.
GA
Old January 25th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_2_]

On Jan 25, 1:56*pm, glider wrote:
*What is the best looking US made Vintage sailplane?
*Don't say Bowlus Baby Albatross, or Yankee Doodle.
*GA

Schweizer 1-23
Old January 25th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jan 25, 10:56*am, glider wrote:
*...Don't say Bowlus Baby Albatross, or Yankee Doodle.

Sorry, I think I'm gonna say it. Within the bounds of what VSA calls
"Vintage," (out of production since 1958) I'd go with the old BA100.
The translucent fabric, elliptical tips and tail, pod and boom
fuselage, all make it a pretty elegant ship.
Old January 25th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jan 25, 12:33*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Jan 25, 10:56*am, glider wrote:

*...Don't say Bowlus Baby Albatross, or Yankee Doodle.

Sorry, I think I'm gonna say it. Within the bounds of what VSA calls
"Vintage," (out of production since 1958) I'd go with the old BA100.
The translucent fabric, elliptical tips and tail, pod and boom
fuselage, all make it a pretty elegant ship.

Pratt Read. Same reasons as above but seats two side by side.
Old January 25th 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Jan 25, 11:52*am, bildan wrote:
On Jan 25, 12:33*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

On Jan 25, 10:56*am, glider wrote:

*...Don't say Bowlus Baby Albatross, or Yankee Doodle.

Sorry, I think I'm gonna say it. Within the bounds of what VSA calls
"Vintage," (out of production since 1958) I'd go with the old BA100.
The translucent fabric, elliptical tips and tail, pod and boom
fuselage, all make it a pretty elegant ship.

Pratt Read. *Same reasons as above but seats two side by side.

Zanonia. It has "character".
Craig
Old January 25th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

On Jan 25, 11:56*am, glider wrote:
*What is the best looking US made Vintage sailplane?
*Don't say Bowlus Baby Albatross, or Yankee Doodle.
*GA

American build - Beautiful in person........ Ross RS-1 Zanonia
Old January 25th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

.. American build - * Beautiful in person........ * Ross RS-1 Zanonia

Craig beat me to it. We were both around in the early '70's when the
Zanonia was restored and actively flying in the Pacific NW. Here's a
link to some Photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2503063...7621955156469/
Old January 26th 10, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Smith[_2_]

On Jan 25, 3:26*pm, Paul Cordell wrote:
. American build - * Beautiful in person........ * Ross RS-1 Zanonia

Craig beat me to it. * We were both around in the early '70's when the
Zanonia was restored and actively flying in the Pacific NW. *Here's a
link to some Photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2503063...7621955156469/

My vote is for the Zanonia too, though the NSM's recently restored
Kirby Gull was built (but not designed) in the US and it's nice too.
The Pratt Read is not so nice on the ground, but looking up at it in
the air it is indeed beautiful. The Lawrence sailplane that my father
flew in the late 40s, early 50s was also a mighty pretty ship.

All gliders are beautiful! Somewhere there is even somebody who loves
the PW-5.
Old January 26th 10, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Jan 25, 10:56*am, glider wrote:
*What is the best looking US made Vintage sailplane?
*Don't say Bowlus Baby Albatross, or Yankee Doodle.
*GA

Sisu1A. The prototype flew in Dec 1958, making it technically qualify
for US status as bonafide vintage (in the UK 'vintage' means pre
WWII...) Just look:

http://bauerairgroup.com/yahoo_site_...a.54235740.jpg

-Paul
Old January 26th 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jan 26, 12:36*am, sisu1a wrote:
On Jan 25, 10:56*am, glider wrote:

*What is the best looking US made Vintage sailplane?
*Don't say Bowlus Baby Albatross, or Yankee Doodle.
*GA

Sisu1A. The prototype flew in Dec 1958, making it technically qualify
for US status as bonafide vintage (in the UK 'vintage' means pre
WWII...) Just look:

http://bauerairgroup.com/yahoo_site_...s/v49n3_sisu1a....

-Paul

In the true spirit of "most beautiful glider" threads, the answer is
obviously the Hall Cherokee II. First one flew in 1957.

Vintage sailplane photos Ron Gleason Soaring 11 May 31st 08 02:51 AM
OT- vintage sailplane calendar? patrick mitchel Soaring 1 October 22nd 06 10:07 PM
Vintage Airlines customairmodels Piloting 1 November 9th 05 06:40 AM
VINTAGE GLIDERS Vorsanger1 Soaring 0 January 30th 05 01:04 AM
Vintage Sailplane spread in Ait & Space Magazine. Vaughn Soaring 0 January 29th 05 09:42 PM