Who has a night rating?

Old March 4th 04, 06:05 PM
Paul Sengupta

Of course, the automatic-engine-roughner also comes into force
at night.

Paul

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
I won't try to argue that it
makes perfect sense, but when *the* engine gets rough at night, I get
anxious.

Old March 4th 04, 06:08 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Marc Lattoni" wrote in message news:iYx1c.129200$Hy3.3305@edtnps89...
It seems interesting that in Canada we learn to recover from spins and in
the US pilots learn to fly at night. (not to mention chandelles etc).

Wonder if one set of skills is preferable or whether pilots should learn
both.

In the US we used to require spins before we figured out that more
students died with their CFI practicing them than actually ran into
problems. There are not enough CFIs out there that are qualified to
demo spins.

I do all most all of my night flying IFR. Personally, any night flight
out of the local area is IFR. I've lost one good friend who hit the
ground by accident at night (ref: NTSB N80720).
-Robert
Old March 4th 04, 06:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

There are not enough CFIs out there that are qualified to demo spins.

I thought every CFI has to be able to demonstrate spins for the checkride?

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old March 4th 04, 07:39 PM
Michael

"Marc Lattoni" wrote
As a VFR only pilot, I thought it pointless to get a night rating due to the
potential difficulties of encountering a "black hole" and not having the
skills to get back to safety.

Doesn't your night rating include several hours of instrument
training? That's what it's for. If it doesn't then get it anyway.
Flting at night without the ability to maintain control on instruments
is just foolhardy, IMO.

Just wondering, how many VFR only pilots have and USE a night rating?

In the US, it comes with the basic private license. Of course so does
some minimal instrument training. I think I had about 150 hours at
night (out of about 700 total) before I got an instrument rating.
Proabbly 20 of those were in "black hole" conditions - legally VFR but
no horizon.

Michael
Old March 4th 04, 08:03 PM
S Green

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
Of course, the automatic-engine-roughner also comes into force
at night.

Paul

And when you cross the Channel

Old March 4th 04, 08:27 PM
Jay Honeck

Of course, the automatic-engine-roughner also comes into force
at night.

And when you cross the Channel

And Lake Michigan...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 04, 11:46 PM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article iYx1c.129200$Hy3.3305@edtnps89,
Marc Lattoni wrote:
It seems interesting that in Canada we learn to recover from spins and in
the US pilots learn to fly at night. (not to mention chandelles etc).

Wonder if one set of skills is preferable or whether pilots should learn
both.

The uS stopped requiring spin training a while ago. Instead they teach
spin avoidance and stalls. I personally think that this is a bad thing.
Like most new pilots I was 'scaried' of stalls so i went and got some
aerobatic training. I learned that spins are no big deal. First it's
fairly hard to spin a 152, but know I know what it takes to ACTUALLY enter
a spin, no quessing/thinking that I might be close. And while it's true
that if you don't stall you can't spin it's nice to have 'real world' exp
on what happens and how to recover.
As for flying at night, I'm not sure. I really like it but the stats
show more fatal accidents happen at night.
Old March 4th 04, 11:56 PM
Robert M. Gary

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

There are not enough CFIs out there that are qualified to demo spins.

I thought every CFI has to be able to demonstrate spins for the checkride?

yes, but that does not make them safe to teach them. I did all mine inverted in a D!
-Robert, CFI
Old March 5th 04, 01:14 AM
David Brooks

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...

I do all most all of my night flying IFR. Personally, any night flight
out of the local area is IFR. I've lost one good friend who hit the
ground by accident at night (ref: NTSB N80720).

Unfortunately the Commercial certificate makes you take at least one night
cross-country VFR. Is that inadvertently instilling bad habits? :-) Even
more annoying, you have to bring along some CFI-ballast.

(I did mine Tuesday; it was a nice night around here).

-- David Brooks