TA out landing

Old June 3rd 13, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

Default TA out landing

This is a more appropriate subject heading. Frank's very frank post on
Soaring Cafe says he hiked up 1000 feet to the mountain top after the
"arrival" so he must have been in great shape! His coordinates
34.25980, -105.79420, show on Google Earth as looking like a nice
smooth ridge top but as you zoom in it looks like there are dead tree
trunks all over the place. Is that from an old forest fire? Glad you
are OK Frank!
Old June 3rd 13, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Jun 3, 10:11*am, soartech wrote:
This is a more appropriate subject heading. Frank's very frank post on
Soaring Cafe says he hiked up 1000 feet to the mountain top after the
"arrival" so he must have been in great shape! His coordinates
34.25980, -105.79420, show on Google Earth as looking like a nice
smooth ridge top but as you zoom in it looks like there are dead tree
trunks all over the place. Is that from an old forest fire? Glad you
are OK Frank!

Sure glad he came out reasonably OK. I suspect this will put Frank
out of commission, gliding wise, for some time, til he can get a
replacement. I'll miss his narratives of the many contests he
attends. I always enjoy his comments.

With not one, but two, glider repair shops based at Moriarity, not far
from the "landing" site, and the site being obviously accessible by
walking from a road, it would seem reasonable that the wrecked glider
could be taken apart by a few folks on the ground, airlifted by a high
altitude helicopter in pieces to a road, and be taken back to
Moriarity for inspection, and possibly repair.

Once again, we have an eastern pilot that got bit by getting too close
to a western mountain. Ridge lift is often very different out west,
and not very forgiving. We've seen our share of that in the Durango,
CO area. Handily, in this case, the pilot was able to actually walk
away, and even hike uphill for a good way. I just wasn't his time to
go. Three cheers for that.

I will look forward to his writing a longer, more in depth, piece on
the flight, evaluation of his critical mistake(s) and post flight
events than his short announcement on Soaring Cafe.

Take care Frank!
Old June 4th 13, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

I rad his post on Soaring Cafe. It will be interesting to read a full account.
SPOT 911 worked "almost"? What is the rest of the story?
How was he able to communicate with the SAR coordinator to know to hike up the ridge?
Glad he was able to climb and was not hurt, nothing broken, except the bird.

What decisions made or not made lead to the accident? What could have been done differently that would made it a non event?

Bill T

767 landing without landing gear in Warsaw ASM Soaring 10 November 3rd 11 04:53 PM
Landing 16L KJAN Landing 17 KMBO - Video [email protected] Piloting 0 October 29th 09 12:12 AM
landing Fabio Aviation Photos 0 January 11th 08 11:11 PM
A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Lufthansi Piloting 18 July 19th 06 05:13 AM
A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Hansi Instrument Flight Rules 1 July 17th 06 04:01 AM