A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Becker AR-4201 Design Fault?

Old July 22nd 16, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Becker AR-4201 Design Fault?

Glad you found the issue and resolved it (sorta).
Thanks for the follow-up, may help others down the road!
Old July 22nd 16, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The way I like to trouble shoot a radio that is breaking squelch is to turn on only the radio with no squelch.......wide open, so that it gives all background noise. Then I turn on all other electrical equipment, one at a time. Think of it as filling a dam, noise from each unit adds to the overall water level. When the dam is full it spills over or breaks squelch. All equipment will add a little background noise, but some add tremendous amounts. The Cambridge GPS is about the worst offender I have run across. You can try moving the GPS as far away from radio antenna as possible, do this with radio on as you listen to the background noise in different positions. Best bet may be to get another GPS. Grounding everything to ships ground may help, shielding and ferrit's may also help.
Good luck,
JJ
Old July 23rd 16, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

JJ, That's a good technique for finding noise generators, thanks for sharing. You know the glider, so you'll remember that the GPS is on the parcel shelf. That means the radio antenna cable and the GPS output run together for almost 10 feet. I was always going to replace the L-Nav and Gps-Nav, that may happen sooner now.

-John, Q3

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 6:34:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The way I like to trouble shoot a radio that is breaking squelch is to turn on only the radio with no squelch.......wide open, so that it gives all background noise. Then I turn on all other electrical equipment, one at a time. Think of it as filling a dam, noise from each unit adds to the overall water level. When the dam is full it spills over or breaks squelch. All equipment will add a little background noise, but some add tremendous amounts.. The Cambridge GPS is about the worst offender I have run across. You can try moving the GPS as far away from radio antenna as possible, do this with radio on as you listen to the background noise in different positions. Best bet may be to get another GPS. Grounding everything to ships ground may help, shielding and ferrit's may also help.
Good luck,
JJ

Old August 7th 16, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 1:19:23 AM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 7:03:39 AM UTC-7, John Carlyle wrote:
JJ, I haven't tried that experiment yet. Need to find a 50 ohm terminator and then get out to the airport where the glider is stored. I'll post the results.

You wouldn't need a 50 ohm terminator (dummy load) if you don't transmit. You are only seeing if the interference is RF, coming into the radio via antenna or coax. Disconnecting the coax at the back of the radio should do. If that does eliminate the noise, then a hand held radio with squelch turned down might be useful in locating source.

If it does not eliminate the interference when powered from aircraft buss, turn other stuff off one by one to try to find guilty device. Install ferrites on wiring. If it's still present when powered up from a battery (no other devices turned on) then for sure it's internal.

LNAV would generate a lot of noise and break squelch on some frequencies. Ferrites on LNAV wiring solved problem for me. Best if there's enough wiring slack to go through the ferrite hole more than once - though once will often do.

bumper

The terminator is necessary to keep the radio from receiving anything on the antenna input. An unterminated input will function as a poor antenna. You can make a terminator with a BNC cable and a 50 ohm resistor soldered between the center conductor and the shield. Or you can buy one at:

http://www.trianglecables.com/produc...WMCRoC5vrw_wcB

This is the only way to resolve the issue presented.

Tom