Need XCSoar Map File for Nephi

Old June 12th 16, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Need XCSoar Map File for Nephi

I'm getting that tired, impatient feeling I get when I hear one of our technical folks say "it SHOULD work" or "THAT shouldn't happen" or "works on MY machine/browser" or "never seen that before."

I'm trying to get an XCSoar map file for Nephi. XCSoar's site insists I'm using IE even though I'm using Chrome, although it appears (using a mobile device) that the file I need isn't there.

I tried using XCSoar's Map Generation site but my map has been stalled in the "Queued" status for several hours, with a cryptic "refresh" button being the only other thing on the page. Maybe I'll have an email when I wake up tomorrow as a reward for the two hours I've got invested so far in this.

I've installed Top Hat but I haven't removed my faithful Glide Navigator II/Compaq 1550 yet. It's looking better all the time.

Suggestions? Guess I should have entered the Club Class at Wurtsboro, instead. I've got a map file for this area.

Chip Bearden
Old June 12th 16, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

You are gonna spend about five thousand bucks to fly that nationals in a glider worth fifty, and you're here complaining about support for free software built 100% with the efforts of unpaid volunteers. Right.

btw, I shared your frustration with XCS, so I pursued different solutions. Some of the commercial solutions work a lot better for nationals caliber racing than XCSoar.

best,
Evan (who by way of disclosure moonlights with ClearNav Inc)

Old June 12th 16, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 8:24:50 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
You are gonna spend about five thousand bucks to fly that nationals in a glider worth fifty, and you're here complaining about support for free software built 100% with the efforts of unpaid volunteers. Right.

btw, I shared your frustration with XCS, so I pursued different solutions. Some of the commercial solutions work a lot better for nationals caliber racing than XCSoar.

best,
Evan (who by way of disclosure moonlights with ClearNav Inc)

I hear you, too. All I can say is that it was late and I was frustrated.

Full disclosure, this morning the page announced my file was ready to download, and I did. Haven't viewed it yet but...it SHOULD work.

I've actually been pretty impressed with Top Hat so far. It's the little things (e.g., setting up the hardware with a tangle of cables and wiring) that took some time. And getting a map for the contest. OK, not so little.

What's amazing to me is that, seriously, GNII still does most of what I want to do. But there's always something better.

Apologies to the volunteers who invest their time in things like XCSoar and Top Hat. I'm not sure why you do it, but assuming I can work out the kinks, I'm excited about the results.

I'd love to have a ClearNav. I decided to try the budget route first.

Chip Bearden

Old June 12th 16, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Chip - I've put a ZIP on my server with all the files you need, including:
- latest FLARMnet file
- map data
- contest turnpoints and airports
- contest airspace
See you shortly in Nephi!!
Best Regards, Dave

http://www.nadler.com/backups/NephiContestFiles.zip
Old June 12th 16, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Or you can download that file he http://xcsoar-mapgen.sigkill.ch/maps/
and put it in the folder "XCSoarData" on your SD card and tell Tophat (from its configuration menu) to use that file.
Old June 13th 16, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 9:28:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I downloaded the US_UTAH_R9N_HighRes.xcm file last night but the scenery stopped just south of Salt Lake...which doesn't do it for Nephi. Perhaps the download was corrupted. In any case, MY requested file was available this morning so as soon as I get cleaned up from flying today, I'll take a look. BTW, I used Top Hat for the first time today and am happy with my decision. If the new file works, all my troubles are over. Right!

Chip Bearden
Old June 13th 16, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 4:45:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Top Hat... Is that the Fred Astaire version?
Jim
Old June 13th 16, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

TopHat is a derivative of XCSoar, somewhat simplified / streamlined. I use it on a Nook e-reader and love it. (Thank you Robert Dunning!) The Nook's high-contrast e-ink display is easily visible in sunlight, and it is large, meaning easy viewing and finger tapping (of the non-rhythmic kind). It does take some baby-ing to make sure it works right: fully charge the Nook before flying, don't let it overheat in the sun, be careful not to break the micro-USB connector (speaking from experience :-), and so forth. I use it with a USB GPS "puck", an OTG Y cable, and a 12V-5V converter.
Old June 14th 16, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

Hi, model do you use? I currently use Nexus 7, I am very happy with it, but would not mind something lighter.

Thanks Paul

Going to Nephi? Paul Remde Soaring 6 June 26th 15 05:22 AM
Old XCSoar DAT file format bds Soaring 7 March 31st 15 05:41 PM
Help adding a 2nd waypoint file in XCSoar Vsoars Soaring 0 June 22nd 14 09:35 PM
New Video From Nephi and Update on 2014 Nephi Events [email protected] Soaring 1 June 5th 14 03:27 AM
[Xcsoar-user] Terrain and waypoint file generation Ed Winchester[_2_] Soaring 0 May 3rd 09 02:34 PM