Anyone selling a good tow vehicle

Old March 25th 04, 09:03 AM
Jeff Landfield

Default Anyone selling a good tow vehicle

I am in the process of purchasing a tow vehicle to tow gliders and
before I close on the deal for the car I am currently looking at I
thought that I would see if there are any other glider pilots that are
maybe selling a reliable tow vehicle. Preferably I am looking for an
F-150 sized truck or an SUV with 4 wheel drive, but I am willing to
look at other good tow vehicles. I would prefer to buy from a glider
pilot because than I know it was probably just used for towing and not
taken off road or beaten up. If anyone has something they may want to
sell please send me an email so we can talk. If anyone can give me a
good deal than I would be willing to move their glider or do a pick up
job in exchange. I need the car very soon so if there is not a
response soon than I will have to buy from the dealer I am looking at
right now.

Thanks
Jeff
Old March 25th 04, 11:28 AM
Nick Gilbert

I am.

It is in Australia though. Is that any good to you?

Nick.

om...

Old March 25th 04, 02:51 PM
AZSKYBUM

I just bought a new F-150 and the four wheel drive and it will pull my 3500 lb
sailboat out of the water on its trailer with no effort. 4 wd is overkill for
pulling my sailplane trailer. If you are an EAA member you can get a 5k
discount on a new F-150 through them..I did and it worked its called X plan.
Curtis Clark
Scottsdale, Az
Old March 29th 04, 05:52 AM
Jason Payne

You do not need to be an EAA memeber to get an X-plan PIN... Ford gives them
to employees, friends etc to do what they wish with. If you know a friend
that works at a dealer or anything, they can get you a x-plan pin.

Good Luck!

-Jason

Old March 29th 04, 06:26 PM
Michael

Hi Jeff,

Is this for road towing of the trailer or glider launching
to become airborne?
For trailer towing I would recommend European cars only.
For launching it depends on your airfield but you want
to have a heavy one.

Where on this planet are you located?

Cheers
Michael
Old March 30th 04, 02:54 AM
Colleen

I would guess from the email he is in Albuquerque, New Mexico (USA)

UNM is University of New Mexico.
Old March 31st 04, 11:59 AM
Doug Hoffman

Michael wrote:

For trailer towing I would recommend European cars only.

Interesting statement. What is your reasoning?

-Doug

Old April 2nd 04, 11:28 AM
Doug Hoffman

Howard wrote:

Supposedly, Jeep Liberty will soon be available with a VM Motori 4 cyl,
good for around 30mpg, but I don't know exactly when. A little short,
but might be OK. Detroit Diesel bought VM shortly before Penske sold out
to DCX. I don't know much about them other than that.

Disclosu I work for a supplier of one of the above named companies.

That is a sure thing. The diesel Liberty will be available late this year.
The VMI engine is a 2.8L turbo-diesel, which has been in use in Europe (not
in a Chrysler product) for awhile. I plan to get one. I drive a 3.7L
Liberty now and love it. Would love it more with higher fuel economy.

Disclosu I work for DCX.

-Doug

Old April 2nd 04, 03:21 PM
Stewart Kissel

4 wd is overkill for
pulling my sailplane trailer.

I gotta agree, and I got a F150. But from the 15mpg
gas bill I can deduct motel rooms since it makes a
nice camper. I can pull over 10k' passes at 65mph,
and one barely notices the trailer on the hitch crusing
at Mach1 down the wideopen freeways. Having said that
a Subaru wagon could do most of that without sucking
down gas in such a hurry.